FreeNAS 11.1 Delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's because it hasn't actually happened yet. I'm not sure what happened, exactly.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23357 and https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23393 seems to be how the implementation is going to happen at this point. But there is this https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23766

So basically it looks like there will be a VM that is a click here to setup implementation of Docker with some other stuff to go along with it. From what I have read this will be pushed back to some point in time beyond 11.1 so maybe 11.2 or later?

But the best thing to do is to go here https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/roadmap hit Control-F and yype in what you are looking for.

I just spotted the 11.1-BETA1 on the roadmap. I am guessing (being a complete noob here) that this is telling us that 11.1 is still on the stove and cooking, and we might expect RC1, etc. down the road. Is this about the way things are looking right now?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I just spotted the 11.1-BETA1 on the roadmap. I am guessing (being a complete noob here) that this is telling us that 11.1 is still on the stove and cooking, and we might expect RC1, etc. down the road. Is this about the way things are looking right now?
I would suspect your are correct. There are a lot of changes coming in 11.1 and I'm betting that iX wants to make sure that everything is running smoothly before they roll it out as a release.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Gaia

Dabbler
That's exactly how I interpret it. I've seen constant activity in open / closed issues, occasional triage moving issues from one release to another, etc. There's clearly ongoing activity behind the scenes more formal communication reserved for times when there's a concrete plan with expectations that iX is confident they can meet.

That's fine by me. I expect a storage appliance to be reliable first and foremost. Zero drama, please, when it comes to my precious data.

IceBoosteR

Guru
I do also share your opionion on this. Better have another BETA/RC before release, as having a lot of problems later.
So thats also fine for me - I like stable versions :D

IceBoosteR

Guru

raidflex

Guru
So I noticed that 11.1 shows 0 closed tickets and 240+ open.... While I do want a stable release considering how many tickets are there I wonder if this will even happen this year. The VM updates would be nice to have sooner, I can wait longer on an updated GUI.

Lady Gaia

Dabbler
You’re seeing a direct reflection of the work tracking model, not a polished summary of the work going into 11.1. When 11.1 beta 1 was added, all of the work already complete, which amounts to 157 issues at this moment, was moved out of the final 11.1 milestone on the roadmap. All that work is still going to ship in the final product, it’s just going to ship sooner as part of the beta and the roadmap reflects that.

The 240+ issues you see on the 11.1 milestone is work under consideration after beta 1. It doesn’t mean everything on the list will be done, only that someone is going to look at it again before 11.1 is considered complete. When will the release ship? Presumably when the team thinks it’s ready and not a moment before. Quality appears to be a bigger driver for FreeNAS than arbitrary dates, which IMHO is as it should be.

raidflex

Guru
You’re seeing a direct reflection of the work tracking model, not a polished summary of the work going into 11.1. When 11.1 beta 1 was added, all of the work already complete, which amounts to 157 issues at this moment, was moved out of the final 11.1 milestone on the roadmap. All that work is still going to ship in the final product, it’s just going to ship sooner as part of the beta and the roadmap reflects that.

The 240+ issues you see on the 11.1 milestone is work under consideration after beta 1. It doesn’t mean everything on the list will be done, only that someone is going to look at it again before 11.1 is considered complete. When will the release ship? Presumably when the team thinks it’s ready and not a moment before. Quality appears to be a bigger driver for FreeNAS than arbitrary dates, which IMHO is as it should be.

Even if half the tickets actually are addressed that is a lot. Personally I would rather see smaller updates with less changes more frequently then trying to bring out one big massive update. There is just more chance for issues with such large updates.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Even if half the tickets actually are addressed that is a lot. Personally I would rather see smaller updates with less changes more frequently then trying to bring out one big massive update. There is just more chance for issues with such large updates.
I agree with you, but before 11 was released, after Coral was cancelled, the decision went to some major milestone in the 11 project. So I think, the team brought out a 11 version, fixing the major bugs in 11.0-Ux versions and concentrate in the background on the milestone release, which not only brings more bugfixes, but also some more features. Having two different trains, means also you need more QA and more staff to do it.

On the other hand, it is for me the logical step forward after coral. Milestones with features, improved stability and this with much more quality and QA.
Also think on the enterprisemarket, not only the homeusers. Upgrades and downtimes (either for True- and FreeNAS) needs some time and sceduled maintenance windows within the SLA.

For those complaining about 240 tickets some of them have been pushed back or are no longer relevant. A few are from the FreeNAS 9.2 era. A few are duplicates as well. It's taking a little longer than expected but the big change in 11.1 is having the jail system switch from warden to iocage and I am sure it has it's issues when trying to hook something that is designed to be command line and making it work with a GUI.

The biggest thing is that it's "Free" as in are you going to complain when someone buys you a free beer? Honestly think of the work involved in putting this together, hundreds of man hours for a simple update and a major one may have thousands. We are currently in a society who wants it all NOW, that is why there is a pill for everything and everything a pill. So my best suggestion is this:

If it's free roll with it and enjoy while keeping complaints to a minimum. If you can't do that then fork the project and do it better.

raidflex

Guru
I would feel more comfortable with Xi's path if there was not the whole Corral debacle. This was handled very badly and years were spent on development. Wasting that kind of time is not good, especially for the developers that put in all the hard work. I have been enjoying FreeNAS for years and I understand it is free, but I also want to see it succeed and not have another Corral.

mow4cash

Contributor
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23357 and https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23393 seems to be how the implementation is going to happen at this point. But there is this https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23766

So basically it looks like there will be a VM that is a click here to setup implementation of Docker with some other stuff to go along with it. From what I have read this will be pushed back to some point in time beyond 11.1 so maybe 11.2 or later?

But the best thing to do is to go here https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/roadmap hit Control-F and yype in what you are looking for.

I follow those tickets and one of them I created. There's not much activity on them, considering how long ago they were created. I know the devs are busy but a little post once in a while on where things are headed would be nice. I sometimes wonder if those tickets will be canned.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would feel more comfortable with Xi's path if there was not the whole Corral debacle.
I understand (and share) this concern, largely because I haven't seen anything from iX explaining how they got to the point of releasing such a half-baked POS, and what they're doing to make sure it doesn't happen again. I can understand if they're reluctant to share that much internal detail (especially since it would likely involve throwing some people under the bus), but without it, it's harder to trust that they'll do better going forward. But the work on 11 thus far seems solid, and that helps.

WrlsFanatic

Dabbler
First of all, I still have confidence in FreeNAS, and if I didn't then Xi shouldn't really care about my opinion since I'm downloading free software. I expect that after Corral they're going to be very careful about rolling out updates, so I'm sure it will be out when it's ready.

My only issue is that I WAS a Corral adopter, and it was my first foray into FreeNAS. I got in at the worst possible time: long enough after launch that I would have never expected that they were going to drop the Corral path entirely, but long enough before the announcement that they were dumping it that I had moved almost all of my data to that storage and don't have a readily-available temporary storage space to transfer my data to while I upgrade to 11.1.

I've gathered the required storage, so I'm ready to do a fresh install of 11.x, but I'm waiting for 11.1. If I could get ANY sense of how long it's going to be, that would be helpful. I'm in no way asking for a firm date, nor do I expect one. But if someone could say, "It's going to be at least a month," or "It may happen in a week or two," or "At this point 2018 looks more realistic," it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
If I could get ANY sense of how long it's going to be, that would be helpful.
The last I heard (within this past week) was that 11.1-BETA was expected this month. That doesn't say much about release, but it's at least a data point.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, mid/late-November for Release, if there are no showstoppers.

Just checked the roadmap; 11.1 Beta1 due in 13 days (10-23-17). 171 issues, 166 closed, 5 open. 97% done. Looking good. Time to get ready to dive in head first with both feet for my first FreeNAS build (as funds allow).

Status
Not open for further replies.