How to update Plex plugin to latest version under FreeNAS 11.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorhooi

Contributor
I have 3 machines currently running various versions of FreeNAS Corral.

Previously, I was planning on installing Plex via Docker on them.

However, now that Corral is dead, and Docker support in FreeNAS 11.0 is a few months off (August, according to the release tracker) - I suppose I should be using the Plex plugin which uses jails, correct?

I noticed from the documentation at http://doc.freenas.org/11/plugins.html that the listed version of Plex is 0.9.11.1.678, which is several years old (2014 I think?).

What is the best way of updating Plex to the latest version on FreeNAS 11.0?

Regards,
Victor

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The best way would be a manual install of Plex in a jail. With a manual install you're not relying on the plugin maintainer to update the plugin. When the package in the repo gets it's update you upgrade the package in the jail.

ArgaWoW

Patron
I have 3 machines currently running various versions of FreeNAS Corral.

Previously, I was planning on installing Plex via Docker on them.

However, now that Corral is dead, and Docker support in FreeNAS 11.0 is a few months off (August, according to the release tracker) - I suppose I should be using the Plex plugin which uses jails, correct?

I noticed from the documentation at http://doc.freenas.org/11/plugins.html that the listed version of Plex is 0.9.11.1.678, which is several years old (2014 I think?).

What is the best way of updating Plex to the latest version on FreeNAS 11.0?

Regards,
Victor
Better to set up an Ubuntu vm and install plex in there. FreeBSD don't support all Plex Features e.g. premium music. I run plex in an vm without any problems

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
pkg install plexmediaserver in a jail is great. If you need the gracenote music stuff you are out of luck on freebsd. Gracenote does not provide binaries for that OS.

The plugin is also up to date. Doc's are just old. Sometimes it takes a couple days for the plugin to update but usually not more than a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.