DIY all flash/SSD NAS (CrazyNAS issues)

Allan_M

Explorer
Hi there

Since the original thread (DIY all flash/SSD NAS - not going for practicality) is now demoted to read-only I've chosen to start a new one - hope this doesn't violate any community guidelines. If so - I'm very sorry.

Well.

I've accumulated around 100 SSDs of which 87 is Samsung-only drives. Not being some sort of brand snob, but I figured it's better to 'match' drives.

Decided to brush of dust and take this project on again, but I've run into som issues in the meantime.

First: some hardware-pr0n (teaser only)

334539664_1147512812595901_3595459603888869998_n (1).jpg
334203899_996740498400231_7950791570023660280_n.jpg
334756774_754186149753167_6390930568432239482_n (1).jpg

But I'm having some issues and I'm concerned that I've might have fried or broken something.

Started testing with one drive on each backplane. Created a pool and did some testing. Everything seemed fine, so I started to fill in the drives with all four backplanes still connected.

At some point I ran into issues and decided to reboot - nothing seemed off.

Then I powered of the system and after moving some cables around to tidy things up, I tried to power the system back on.

Nothing. A click and nothing else.

Then I remembered: I've, up and until now, been using a 450 Watt SSF PSU. Bad decision, I think.

Tried some variations of powering off, connecting the backlanes while the system was still on, fewer disks. Nothing. Nothing seemed to work reliably. Tried almost everything except installing a more powerful PSU.

Finally, did just that. But now, I'm having stability issues. Not all disks are detected. If they are, they are not brought into TrueNAS and my pools are corrupted or just not showing up.

Thought I'd fried something, and had almost given up.

With all four backplanes connected to Molex-power, but not the HBA (in essence taking the SAS-SAS, expander, cables out of the equation) the drives started showing up. Still throwing errors and not being reliable at all.

So...

My first test, was with all four backplanes connected (in pairs, to the HBA with a SAS-SAS expander cable to the backplane next down in cascade - don't know if that made any sense?)

Like so:

HBA
⮑ Backplane #1 ➞ SSD
    ⮑ Backplane #3 ➞ SSD
⮑ Backplane #2 ➞ SSD
    ⮑ Backplane #4 ➞ SSD

If I remove the SAS cable and connect them to the HBA in pairs, like so:

HBA
⮑ Backplane #1 ➞ 24x SSD
⮑ Backplane #2 ➞ 24x SSD

They both seem to work as intended using any combination of HBA -> SAS-port (of which there are three on each expander).

But, as soon as I connect them like this - in essence using any SAS-SAS cable (cascaded)

HBA
⮑ Backplane #1 ➞ 24x SSD
    ⮑ Backplane #2 ➞ 24x SSD

Or

HBA
⮑ Backplane #3 ➞ 24x SSD
    ⮑ Backplane #4 ➞ 24x SSD

Nothing works.

Did I fry something? Are the cables broken? Are the backplanes broken?

Sorry if I've upset any of you with my behaviour :oops:
To be honest, I'm quite ashamed/sorry, if I've broken this fine system with my stupid, stupid decisions :confused:

P.S.: Have attached an assortment of screenshots:
334194601_3044506339188460_8838344760285247341_n.png

334102101_751233696538562_5572361981490114207_n.png

333660725_3136968106603746_4711374805891462119_n.png

333869610_636408851640294_6434623504724067934_n.png

337159938_8955261991211942_8990451530432467475_n.png

Aside: Suggested Changes:
Hostname: CrazyNAS
Vdev Name: Dozer

Alternate Option: Change it to LEET:
Hostname: Cr4zyn45
Vdev Name: D0z3r

Arwen

MVP
Hi there

Since the original thread (DIY all flash/SSD NAS - not going for practicality) is now demoted to read-only I've chosen to start a new one - hope this doesn't violate any community guidelines. If so - I'm very sorry.

Solely on the subject of that old sub-forum, and your post, that had nothing to do with you.

The old General Forum was out-dated and people mis-posted in it, when better places existed. So the forum moderators made them R/O.

As for your NAS, sorry, I have no comment.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The old General Forum was out-dated and people mis-posted in it, when better places existed. So the forum moderators made them R/O.
Just to help with that, I added a post to the old thread pointing to this one.

I suppose that if we're saying 2 in parallel can run, but 2 in series fail, then power is out of the equation from a disk perspective.

Have you ever had it running successfully in series and it's just now failing? or is it something that has never worked despite @jgreco's assurance that it doesn't matter how you plug them together?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I assume each backplane works individually?

If they do, then let's move on to two backplanes in a simple chain.

For each expander card, assuming they're oriented with the words "Supermicro" or the "SuperO" logo at the top and the SAS ports facing the right, your HBA should connect to the bottom port. Then the middle port on "Backplane #1" should be connected to the bottom port on "Backplane #2"

Don't connect anything to the "top port" anywhere. Let's see if this fires it up.

Allan_M

Explorer
Aside: Suggested Changes:
Hostname: CrazyNAS
Vdev Name: Dozer

Alternate Option: Change it to LEET:
Hostname: Cr4zyn45
Vdev Name: D0z3r

When it's running - if I ever get to that - I'll certainly change the hostname. I assume by vdev-name you mean pool-name, right?

Solely on the subject of that old sub-forum, and your post, that had nothing to do with you.

As for your NAS, sorry, I have no comment.

That's ok. Thanks for clarifying none the less

Just to help with that, I added a post to the old thread pointing to this one.

I suppose that if we're saying 2 in parallel can run, but 2 in series fail, then power is out of the equation from a disk perspective.

Have you ever had it running successfully in series and it's just now failing? or is it something that has never worked despite @jgreco's assurance that it doesn't matter how you plug them together?

That is correct. But now it seems like nothing is working. I have no idea what's going on and to what degree I screwed something up.

Yes. My initial testing - to make sure all four backplanes at least worked - was done with all four connected and by installing a single 120 GB Kingston A400 SSD on each. Creating a Z1-vdev and pool and doing some SMB and iSCSI-testing. No issues.

It was when I removed the Kingston drives, installed the Samsung-ones and doing a power cycle - presumably not having a PSU powerful enough I started to run into problems.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure about the Kingston-config, but I'd like to think, that I connected the HBA into port 1 (the lower one, labeled "SAS Port: PRI_J1" in the User's Manual for the backplane) on each 'primary' backplane. Then I connected the secondary backplanes from port to (from the primary) into port 1 on the secondary.

I know, there was a state / point in time, where they were just connected - and it did work because I decided to move the drives around just for fun / testing. Just like jgreco described. But, I can't remember what configurations excactly was tested. Sorry

I assume each backplane works individually?

If they do, then let's move on to two backplanes in a simple chain.

For each expander card, assuming they're oriented with the words "Supermicro" or the "SuperO" logo at the top and the SAS ports facing the right, your HBA should connect to the bottom port. Then the middle port on "Backplane #1" should be connected to the bottom port on "Backplane #2"

Don't connect anything to the "top port" anywhere. Let's see if this fires it up.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure by now.

Tested that config yesterday. No luck.

I've begun to systematically test each config - only using the cables from the HBA.

I'll report back with my findings.

Right now I see to possible last ditch efforts:
  • Use another RAID-card, just to see if the disks passes through
  • Remove all drive - no biggie, just an annoyance - and then test with just one drive on each backplane.
I have a nagging suspecion that some of the drives might be causing problems, but I'll have to exclude variables and approach this in a systematic manner.

There are a lot of variables at play right now:
  • The backplanes didn't work properly at all, and loading them with drives revealed the issue
  • I've fried something with my powercycles and/or plugging/unplugging cables in a 'live' system
  • Twisted the cables, so that nothing works
  • Broken the connectors on the backplanes
  • Fried the HBA
  • Fried SSDs (from power surge or what-ever) a causing halts
  • A boat load of other issues, I'm not smart or competent enough to realize.
Stay tuned. I'm filling in the Excel spreadsheet to gain some, if any, insights ‍♂️

Allan_M

Explorer
#UPDATE

Well, decided to skip all combinations and go back to the original configuration: all four backplanes attached. Two directly into the HBA and the secondary backplanes via the expanders.

Tested each backplane with one Kingston A400 SSD isntalled and with one cable directly into the HBA.

Skærmbillede 2023-03-24 kl. 15.22.21.png

Each time, one drive showed up. Good. Both "HBA"-cables seem to work.

Decided to move on and include the "expander"-cables. Expected two drives to show up.

Skærmbillede 2023-03-24 kl. 15.35.35.png

Well then. Decided to go for gold and connect all four backplanes with one SSD.

IMG_9056.jpg

The result?

Skærmbillede 2023-03-24 kl. 16.06.41.png

All four drives are detected. Success then, I guess?

I seriously have no idea what's going on. But I have some additional information:
  • At some point, when filling the backplanes with Samsung-drives, the "live-detection" halted and one of the backplanes status LEDs turned red. After a minute or to, all LEDs on that particular backplane turned red. Decided to reboot and the everything seemed normal.
  • After setting up the first to backplanes (one pool: CN-SSD, consisting of two raidz2 vdevs) I noticed a SMART-error. I can't remember if thats before or after all Hell broke loose.
So. Assuming that everything now seems to be in working order (tried moving the Kingston SSDs around on each backplane) I have some thoughts:
  • Can mismatching firmware or SSD revisions/models be causing issues?
  • Can a single SSD with SMART-error be throwing everything off?
  • How can I (or should I) burn-in / test the SSDs in a sane manner?
    • All SSDs has been reset / formatted / written over with zeroes using the macOS terminal diskutil zeroDisk command

Allan_M

Explorer
Well. The saga continues.

I'm seriously considering scrapping the project - too much noise, too much power, too much hassle.

But, if I'm being honest. That's kinda half the fun, right... right?!

Anywho.

Have done some more testing. It bothers me like nothing else, that the configuration works with all four backplanes with one SSD on each. Disk shows up and all that jazz.

But the moment I begin to plug in more drives, issues arises.

But first, some pr0n:
IMG_9061.jpeg
IMG_9060.jpeg
IMG_9064.JPG
IMG_9066.jpeg
IMG_9068.jpeg
IMG_9069.jpeg

And also, a video:

The first backplane (the one where all the SSDs light up) went smooth. I have a total of 32 drives of that particular model (MZ7LN-something). 24 filling up one backplane (the rightmost one) and another eight on another backplane (the second from the left). Those are the ones that light up.

One the same backplane - the second from the left - I have installed 7 other drives (MZ7LF-something), that also show up without any issues.

Those 32 (MZ7LN) and 7 (MZ7LF).

All along I kept one of the Kingston drives in thos backplanes I hadn't begun to put the other SSDs into. Like some sort of sanity check to keep an eye on the totalt number of detected drives.

Then came the last ones - MZ7TE. Those are the SSDs on the first backplane (the leftmost) and the third backplane (second one from the right).

I first made the mistake of assuming - after doing some quick SMART-checks on Windows using a USB-adapter and CrystalDiskInfo - that alle drives were fine and installed them in one go (system powered of) beginning from the leftmost backplane and installing the remaining on the third backplane.

The issues at hand:
  • Either some drives are causing issues and making boot (the "f/w initializing devices"-thingie) taking forever. It's almost a given, that if it takes longer than usual, no drives are detected and I get a "Adapter at Baseport is not responding"
  • Perhaps it's an adress-issue thing? I've decided to check if I can install the drives one by one and by doing so identify problematic drives and/or ports on one of the backplanes.
  • All ports seems to work. Did some testing with the Kingston drives and moved them around to see if they where detected, no matter which port they were installed in.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Just a thought - I'm still seeing the "Avago MegaRAID SAS-MFI" line in the BIOS. Are the HBAs running IR mode firmware?

Not that I expect it to be a magic bullet, but is it potentially causing something to hang up in the BIOS/boot device enumeration and might be cured with IT firmware and possibly no BIOS?

Allan_M

Explorer
Just a thought - I'm still seeing the "Avago MegaRAID SAS-MFI" line in the BIOS. Are the HBAs running IR mode firmware?

Not that I expect it to be a magic bullet, but is it potentially causing something to hang up in the BIOS/boot device enumeration and might be cured with IT firmware and possibly no BIOS?

Actually, I was wondering the very same thing.

It was supposed to be already flashed into IT-mode, I see no keyboard shortcut and the drives show up in TrueNAS - so I just assumed it was.

Forgive my n00b’ness, but how do I check it?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Actually, I was wondering the very same thing.

It was supposed to be already flashed into IT-mode, I see no keyboard shortcut and the drives show up in TrueNAS - so I just assumed it was.

Forgive my n00b’ness, but how do I check it?

I believe sas2flash -listall should give you the information you need.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
LSI's firmware is full of semi-arbitrary limits to the number of devices. I think it's 128 devices (including HBA and expanders) for the 9211.

Allan_M

Explorer
I believe sas2flash -listall should give you the information you need.

Well. Following this guide How to flash a LSI SAS 3008 HBA (e.g. IBM M1215) to IT mode got me this result...

iKVM_capture (2).jpg

Must be doing something wrong. Someone else in the comments writes, that one should use the sas2flsh.efi instead. Perhaps I should give that a try.

EDIT:

Gave it a try. No success...

iKVM_capture (3).jpg

LSI's firmware is full of semi-arbitrary limits to the number of devices. I think it's 128 devices (including HBA and expanders) for the 9211.

Still, the thing works as expected without the previously mentioned drives?

Also. The HBA I use in this project is a 9340-8i. Don't know how different it is from the 9211 though? :smile:

sretalla