SOLVED Data for UPS is stale

gareth94

Cadet
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me... I downloaded Network UPS Tools yesterday so that I could receive e-mail notifications of when my UPS switched to battery power. I got it up and running and was working brilliantly! Then, after a while I tested the system by switching off power to my UPS.... I wasn't receiving any e-mail notifications! I was puzzled by this given it had worked perfectly fine just a few minutes (or an hour) before! I then ran the nut-server status command and saw the following error:

Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Duplicate driver instance detected! Terminating other driver!

I checked the web and given I have a CyberPower UPS it seemed I had the correct driver stated (usbhid-ups). However after running the command usb-devices in the terminal it indicated that the driver associated with the UPS was 'usbfs'? I changed this in the conf file but no luck

Just to add to the above, I've tried all other solutions I found on the web such as increasing the MAXAGE, DEADTIME and POLLINTERVAL values....

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? I'd be eternally grateful!

StevieBBQ

Dabbler
Good morning all. Just updated to 11.3-U2 this morning and this problem has found its way to me. I checked MAXAGE and it's already set to 25. I am using a Cyberpower 1350AVR UPS connected via USB. Should I increase MAXAGE further than 25?

Edit: I had performed a manual stop and start of the UPS service and the data stale messages stopped. However, after a CPU fan issue and ensuing replacement the following happened. When I attempted to shutdown the system from the GUI, the UPS caused a hang and the system never shut down. I was able to reenter the GUI and shut down the UPS service and perform a shutdown. After restart there data stale problem was not present. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

cool_bombom

Cadet
Hi.

I have a BlueWalker PowerWalker VI 850 SHL. my problem is that trunas after a while looses connection to to UPS and running "upsc ups@localhost" shows "data stale". If i then restart the service is shows "connection refused". The only way to solve the issue is to restart Truenas which is not preferable and after a couple of days the issue occurs again. I have added "MAXAGE 25" to uspd.conf with no luck ... i'm using TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1

P.S. I'm using another UPS driver in the service as the powerwalker VI 850 is set to use blazer_usb, but that does not work at all. if i choose a UPS that uses USBHIS-UPS it works and data is retrieved, but after a while the "data stale" occurs.

any help would be appreciated!

kind regards
c_bb

Scharbag

Guru
Thanks for this. Finally go around to dealing with this log error. Let's hope it works.

If it does, I will also try just adding it to the upsd.conf auxiliary parameters line in the service config...

Last edited: