SOLVED Data for UPS is stale

bloomo

Explorer
I'm using the CP1500PFCLCD. I get about 1-3 sets of the COMMBAD messages per day.
Have you tried changing which usb port your UPS is plugged into? Or varying the port field in the UPS settings, try auto, 1.5, etc?

titan_rw

Guru
I'm using the CP1500PFCLCD. I get about 1-3 sets of the COMMBAD messages per day.

I have that exact same UPS, and have never had a COMMBAD message from freenas. Very occasionally I'll get BATTLOW messages, but that's only when load on the UPS is quite high. I need to buy another ups to relax what I've got on the one I have.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I maybe get those 1 per month. So little I just ignore them. I also have MAXAGE set to 25 but i don't think that will make a difference in your case.

bloomo

Explorer
out of interest @budmannxx what motherboard are you on?

budmannxx

Contributor
I've got the Supermicro X10SLH-F board. I'll try different USB ports and GUI settings and report back. It'll be a few days obviously, since I'm not getting that many messages now.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
Hi guys! After executing (9.3release) the commands:
mount -uw
echo "MAXAGE 25">>/etc/local/nut/upsd.conf
mount -ur
the problems with ups are gone... but there is another one:
mv: rename rrd_dir.tar.bz2.24584 to /data/rrd_dir.tar.bz2: Read-only file system
....what's the matter?

I have the same problem after following this guide. Getting emails:

Cron <root@nas> /bin/sh /usr/local/sbin/save_rrds.sh
rm: /data/rrd_dir.tar.bz2: Read-only file systemmv: rename rrd_dir.tar.bz2.28209 to /data/rrd_dir.tar.bz2: Read-only file system

and

Cron <root@nas> /bin/sh /usr/local/sbin/save_rrds.sh
rm: /data/rrd_dir.tar.bz2: Read-only file system
mv: rename rrd_dir.tar.bz2.26710 to /data/rrd_dir.tar.bz2: Read-only file system

and so on.

Probably mount -uw and mount -ur broke something.

Created a separate thread here

I think this might be caused by omitting the '/' in the commands?

mount -uw /
mount -ur /

Just don know how to solve this....

xnaron

Explorer
I noticed these in my logs today after setting up a cyberpower ups. From reading this thread the fix is to add MAXAGE (20 or 25) to the upsd.conf file. However this won't survive a reboot. So this is is still an issue and not SOLVED. It would be good if they added the ability to add configuration to the webgui for upsd.conf. There is a section in there in UPS for ups.conf.

These messages are probably harmless however they will be annoying if you have send emails turned on for UPS. That being said I may just configure FreeNAS as a slave to another UPS on my network. They all feed off the same power anyways so it should be ok. Posting this here as it may be a workaround for others as well.

You are right. Just some additional info, from this thread:

If you're on 9.3, do not use the mount commands shown in older guides. The boot filesystem changed in 9.3 and it is no longer mounted r/o.

So we should only use:
Code:

without the mount commands.

This won't survive a reboot

Hmm... I tried this, but still the same problem

Anyone else still having probems even when using MAXAGE=25? I just keep getting those 'UPS stale' messages :confused:

budmannxx

Contributor
Anyone else still having probems even when using MAXAGE=25? I just keep getting those 'UPS stale' messages :confused:
Very rarely, but yeah, I see a few of the messages even with MAXAGE=25. Off the top of my head, roughly one per month, if that.

dj_jazzn

Dabbler

With out the proposed edit to "/etc/local/nut/upsd.conf", I was getting the COMMBAD (and subsequent COMMOK) email notification every 1 to 5 hours. I will be observing how frequently it occurs with the "MAXAGE 25" line addition to /etc/local/nut/upsd.conf.

EDIT

With the proposed edit to "/etc/local/nut/upsd.conf" I was getting the COMMBAD email notification 2-3 times a day and they usually come in pairs.​

END EDIT

Related question for the thread:
After implementing this solution, I get the following message whenever updating a setting in the web GUI:

"Error: attempt to write a readonly database"​

The only way I found to resolve this is to reboot the system, make what ever setting change I am attempting, then reapply the "MAXAGE 25" update to upsd.conf. I would not be too concerned over this on a production system where setting changes are minimal, however during the test and configuration phase it's a bit tedious.

For anyone who has applied this fix, have you experience the same issue? Is it possible to add the MAXAGE 25 line to upsd.conf and and still maintain the ability to make settings changes (with out rebooting).

Last edited:

neo_

Dabbler
Just a heads up for anyone else having this problem. I've tried editing almost every .conf variable in the NUT folder with no difference. I tried changing MAXAGE, DEADTIME, POLLFREQ, etc... Nothing helped.

What finally fixed the problem is the following two things:

1) Disabling USB3.0 - it is disabled by default in FreeNAS 9.3 but I had it manually enabled in the Tunables with "xhci_load" set to YES. I removed that variable.

2) For the "Port:" drop down menu I manually typed in "auto". Note, I use a generic USB cable with "usbhid-ups" driver.

Then make sure you reboot FreeNAS.

Last edited:

Vanitas

Cadet
I'm very new to FreeNAS, and getting the same errors as everyone else.
I don't see where to disable USB 3.0... I don't have anything in my Tunables.
Please advise

Crotalus

Dabbler
FYI

I bought a new APC battery backup last week and it has the same problem.
BACKUP-UPS NS 1080 Model Number --> BN1080G
It attached to ugen1.5 at usbus1
There is no entry for this on the drop down selection so I used APC ups 2 BACK-UPS XS LCD USB (usbhid-ups)
I changed the MAXAGE to 25 and no more messages have been spiting out. I need to try 20 and see what happens.

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158
ASRock E3C226D2I
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4370 CPU @ 3.80GHz
Memory 16295MB ECC

STREBLO

Patron
You are right. Just some additional info, from this thread:

If you're on 9.3, do not use the mount commands shown in older guides. The boot filesystem changed in 9.3 and it is no longer mounted r/o.

So we should only use:
Code:

without the mount commands.

This won't survive a reboot
I have the CP1500PFCLCD and i'm also having the stale message.

Are we not supposed to add "MAXAGE 25" to auxiliary parameters in the gui?