Clustering without TrueCommand - it's real?

Aku

Dabbler
Hi all!

I have two questions:
- Possible to make a DIY cluster without TrueCommand?
- Server with TrueCommand installed mandatory for further operation of cluster created with it, or it's needed only for initial configuration?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi all!

I have two questions:
- Possible to make a DIY cluster without TrueCommand?
- Server with TrueCommand installed mandatory for further operation of cluster created with it, or it's needed only for initial configuration?

If you naturally speak REST APIs... you don't need TrueCommand.
If you want a webUI, then TrueCommand is essential.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
In theory, it's possible to create a cluster with API calls, which is what TrueCommand does behind the scenes. The real question is why would you want to? TrueCommand is free for the first 50 spindles, and nominal cost for spindles beyond that. Plus, the TrueCommand UI helps protect you against cluster oopses.

Aku

Dabbler
If you naturally speak REST APIs... you don't need TrueCommand.
If you want a webUI, then TrueCommand is essential.
I've already explored the REST API and tested basic actions like creating a user, getting their status, etc. So if I understand the correct sequence, then I think I can reproduce it using REST API.

Aku

Dabbler
In theory, it's possible to create a cluster with API calls, which is what TrueCommand does behind the scenes. The real question is why would you want to? TrueCommand is free for the first 50 spindles, and nominal cost for spindles beyond that. Plus, the TrueCommand UI helps protect you against cluster oopses.
So it is needed ONLY for creation, I do not need to always keep it on?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
No, TrueCommand is helpful for managing the cluster nodes themselves, beyond just the bricks. You could manage your nodes individually, but why not make it easier on yourself?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

You use the word "need"... the answer is TC is not required

If you used the word "recommend".... the answer is TC makes everything more reliable.

With TrueNAS, we provide open APIs and allow people to build their own tools. We just can't support those home-grown approaches easily.

NickF

Guru
This seems like an odd question. If you want to manage a cluster of servers with ZFS and Gluster and do it all manually, then why not do it on Proxmox or Ubuntu? The whole point of the ecosystem here is to make these manual tasks simple.

Aku

Dabbler
I understand that this is a useful tool. But I'm just trying to understand how much cluster created in it depends on it (as, for example, on a service or a demon). Samuel Tai said no, morganL said yes. Where is truth here?

Let's use an example, perhaps I formulated question incorrectly: if I install TrueCommand, create a cluster of three TrueNAS SCALE nodes in it and then remove TrueCommand, will claster continue to work or will it "fall apart"?

Aku

Dabbler
This seems like an odd question. If you want to manage a cluster of servers with ZFS and Gluster and do it all manually, then why not do it on Proxmox or Ubuntu? The whole point of the ecosystem here is to make these manual tasks simple.
That's right, it's about simplicity. And yes, I can use Proxmox with ZFS disks (possibly with Gluster as well, I haven't worked with that yet). But no product will satisfy needs by 100%, there will always be something missing. For example, I really miss scheduler like "at" in TrueNAS (after all, it is impossible to set a specific date in "cron", including year, such as 04/21/2024).

sretalla