Cannot access SMB shares - HELP!

roachthehuman

Dabbler
I recently had to reinstall TrueNAS due to a failed USB drive. Everything is back up and running fine, and as normal my pools are still there and healthy. Normally in this situation i just had to build my SMB shares, make a user and group and gave them full permissions, and give them access to the SMB share. Easy peasy my servers back up. This time around I simply CANNOT access my pools/shares at all. The behaviors of server are weird this time around:

Doing "Run" and typing in \\ip address brings up my shares but double clicking them no longer prompts for log in credentials. It just says "Windoes cannot access \\Truenas\osvsl (my share) If i try to map the drive and hit "use different credentials" it will say "the network folder specified is currently mapped using a different users name and password. To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share." Which there are NONE i went in Command Prompt and net use states there are no mapped drives at all. I have given my one and only user account on TrueNAS full access to every share I make yet I still cannot log in I'm completely stumped.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I recently had to reinstall TrueNAS due to a failed USB drive. Everything is back up and running fine, and as normal my pools are still there and healthy. Normally in this situation i just had to build my SMB shares, make a user and group and gave them full permissions, and give them access to the SMB share. Easy peasy my servers back up. This time around I simply CANNOT access my pools/shares at all. The behaviors of server are weird this time around:

Doing "Run" and typing in \\ip address brings up my shares but double clicking them no longer prompts for log in credentials. It just says "Windoes cannot access \\Truenas\osvsl (my share) If i try to map the drive and hit "use different credentials" it will say "the network folder specified is currently mapped using a different users name and password. To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share." Which there are NONE i went in Command Prompt and net use states there are no mapped drives at all. I have given my one and only user account on TrueNAS full access to every share I make yet I still cannot log in I'm completely stumped.
What version of TrueNAS is this?

somethingweird

Contributor
TrueNAS-13.0-U4

I just installed it last week.
Previous version - before reinstall? & Windows Version? (just wondering if try to connecting with SMB1 instead of SMB2)

roachthehuman

Dabbler
Hmmm... I couldnt tell you the USB had completely failed. I threw it away. i know the last time I had to reinstall TrueNAS was sometime last summer. I don't know how i could possibly figure out what version I used before.

My PC Windows version is 21H2, OS Build 19044.2846.

Davvo

MVP
That sounds like a Windows credentials caching issue. Try accessing the share off your phone, I'd bet it works fine (if your phone has that ability).

You can try a little "cheat" that I use. For these instructions, I'm assuming your TrueNAS server is using the IP address of 192.168.1.2. Use the correct IP address for your server.

On your Windows computer:
  1. Close all Explorer windows
  2. Windows Key + R
  3. Type in notepad (but don't click "OK" yet!)
  4. While holding down CTRL + SHIFT, click "OK" (to open up Notepad with administrative privileges)
  5. CTRL + O to bring up the "Open file" dialog
  6. Change the drop-down from "Text documents" to "All files"
  7. Browse to the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
  8. Open up the file named hosts
  9. Add the following line to the end of the file (use the actual IP address for your TrueNAS server):
    • 192.168.1.2 mynas.home
  10. CTRL + S to save the file (and then exit Notepad)
  11. * Open up a new Explorer window, and type this into the address field:
    • \\mynas.home\sharename

Are you able to access the share with the correct TrueNAS username and password?

* You can get the "sharename" of a particular SMB share by visiting Sharing -> Windows Shares (SMB) -> look under the "Name" column.

Last edited:

roachthehuman

Dabbler
You can try a little "cheat" that I use. For these instructions, I'm assuming your TrueNAS server is using the IP address of 192.168.1.2. Use the correct IP address for your server.

On your Windows computer:
  1. Close all Explorer windows
  2. Windows Key + R
  3. Type in notepad (but don't click "OK" yet!)
  4. While holding down CTRL + SHIFT, click "OK" (to open up Notepad with administrative privileges)
  5. CTRL + O to bring up the "Open file" dialog
  6. Change the drop-down from "Text documents" to "All files"
  7. Browse to the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
  8. Open up the file named hosts
  9. Add the following line to the end of the file (use the actual IP address for your TrueNAS server):
    • 192.168.1.2 mynas.home
  10. CTRL + S to save the file (and then exit Notepad)
  11. * Open up a new Explorer window, and type this into the address field:
    • \\mynas.home\sharename

Are you able to access the share with the correct TrueNAS username and password?

* You can get the "sharename" of a particular SMB share by visiting Sharing -> Windows Shares (SMB) -> look under the "Name" column.
This unfortunately did not work.

1681313163293.png

This unfortunately did not work.
Your screenshot shows you tried to connect to an IP address. The instructions are meant to try to use the hostname mynas.home to test something out.

roachthehuman

Dabbler
1681315635942.png

Maybe check entries in output of midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq and verify that the SMB client is sending correct username.
Thats the one the outputs you can see that i was trying to login with "ddye" which is the only account on my TrueNAS.

My apologies. Same error message comes up.

I don't see your "sharename" at the end of that location (according to your screenshot.)

Did you follow the instructions at every step? If so, then trying to access the address "mynas.home" should be resolved to the TrueNAS IP address.

If you "ping mynas.home", does it resolve to your TrueNAS server's IP address?

roachthehuman

Dabbler
I don't see your "sharename" at the end of that location (according to your screenshot.)

Did you follow the instructions at every step? If so, then trying to access the address "mynas.home" should be resolved to the TrueNAS IP address.

If you "ping mynas.home", does it resolve to your TrueNAS server's IP address?
1681316040143.png

1681316149553.png

1681316210558.png

You might have to reboot for those changes to take effect.

(In my tests, I did not need to reboot.)

Reboot the Windows PC and try again.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What is output of testparm -s? I've seen this before when guest access is enabled and client makes connection to IPC$ share with a guest account that lacks access to the file share.