Understandig the datasets and shares, how to set up users

jarlhov

Dabbler
i'm slowly getting a grip of this. I have for years just used "root" to log on to my smb share (access everything). I have decided recently that i want to have multiple users with different accesses.

First of all i created a user and group Michael & Kristina (2users ,2groups) I want both of them to have a folder that no one else can access than themself

First i created user>automaticly created groups>created datasets for each user>created a share called Kristina/Michael.

So far so good. i set respectivly user as owner of the dataset and they can acess the SMB share. However the share shows up in two places when i browse. I see the SMB share "Kristina" & Michael" when i connect to \\FREENAS\ but i also see a share called SMB (which i belive is the "master share", when i browse into that share i see Michael & Kristina (all other folders in that share is hidden when not using "root"). I can see both shares on each user, but can only access the share that belong to the user. So that permission seems to work.

1. Is it possible to make the other shares that the user don't have acces to to be hidden?, or even better when connection with i.e Kristina user/credential end up directly in the share/folder for that user.

2. Did I create the shares in the way i shoud or did i do something wrong? The datasets do creates a folder so maybe creating separate SMB shares was done for nothing?

3. One of the user can access their own folder which shows up when i connect to \\Freeenas, the other one has to browse to \\freenas\smb\kristina. The acl and datasets seems to be identical. can't figure this one out....

4. i still want to have a admin/master user that can see/do everything, should i just continue to use the "root" user?