User connectivity issue can't connect with newly created user.

jarlhov

Dabbler
allright, been running freenas for a while now. Made it simple in the beginning and created one SMB share. Connected from all devices using the "root user". So far so good.

Then i've been afraid that kids might mess up backups and so on. and because everything is visible thru the root user i decided i wanted another smb share within the same pool. idea was that root user would work as an admin with acess to both pools, beeing able to move and copy files between them.

-I've created a new dataset within the main pool, naming it to "backup"
-new user "Michael" giving him the start folder "/mnt/NAS/Backup folder"
-adding him to user group nobody
-in the dataset for "backup folder" setting Michael as User and group to nobody
-apply group/mode set
-Read/write/Execute on owner and group

But i can't connect as long as i have nobody set as group, i've also tried to create a new group adding the same permissions. it won't help
If i add user Michael to wheel i see both my SMB shares and can browse and access everything.Been watching serveral guides but I just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong

KrisBee

Wizard
Which version of FreeNAS are you using and are you using the legacy or new WebUI? Look at the owner/group of "/mnt/NAS/", is it "root:wheel"?

When user "Michael" is in the "nobody" group, that account cannot enter the directory "/mnt/NAS/" and transverse to "/mnt/NAS/Backup folder". This changes when you place user "Michael" in the "wheel" group.

What's the output for these FreeNAS shell commands getfacl /mnt/NAS and getfacl "/mnt/NAS/Backup folder"

Take a look at his thread as the answer may apply to your problem: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-in-windows-no-permissions.81991/#post-567594

jarlhov

Dabbler
I'm using FreeNAS-11.2-U7 WebUI.....

Should i go another way to achieve what i want? or different shares/users is the way to go?

1580993225048.png

1580993516514.png

KrisBee

Wizard
Your second getfacl command is wrong as you've fallen foul of using spaces in dataset names, which is probably best avoided. You didn't notice my use of "" above. Anyway, it looks like at some stage you've changed the permission on the root-level datset of your pool which is mounted at "/mnt/NAS" the owner/group are correct but not the ACL for the use you require, perhaps you created a SMB on "/mnt/NAS" at some stage. While user Michael is in the nobody group there is no acees to the next level down "/mnt/NAS/Backup folder". The fix is as in the thread I posted above. Use this command at the FreeNAS shell: setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc::allow /mnt/NAS

For reference see the 11.2-U7 release note: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-2-u7/

jarlhov

Dabbler
still didn't solve my problem. upgardet to latest build now (11.3) i'm not able to create a user and connect to any shares. The only user that can access all my shares is "root"

I've followed this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCfX4sqDmzs step by step (only differnce is that i already have a SMB set up so I ad a new dataset to that one) but still not able to connect with a new user...