SOLVED Can Copy to TrueNas from my PC, But Server crashes when copying to my PC. (Changed Adapter Type to VMXNET3)

Anonza

Dabbler
This is a super strange issue, I can copy to the virtualized TrueNAS file share with no problem at all. However, once I attempt to write a file from TrueNAS to my personal PC, the entire server crashes, forcing me to physically restart the server to be able to use the server again. The copy starts and then instantly drops to 0kbps.

The hardware I am using is supported as far as I am aware, I am using a Supermico server with a S5520HC mainboard. 24GB RAM. Duel Xeon E5504 CPU's.

Could it be my personal PC NIC that is the issue? I know it has a Realtek NIC, but surely an issue would have arose when writing to the server.

My issue only seems to be in one direction.

I checked the Syslog location for what files are under that, I only see "failover.log" and no other log files to shed any light on why this is crashing.

Any advice would be great. I have been struggling with this for some time now to no avail.

Kind regards,
Richard

Anonza

Dabbler
I would let memtest run for a few days.
Thanks for the reply Davvo,

I ran Memtest for 3 hours and passed first pass with no errors. Doubt it is that.

Any other suggestions to do with configuration?

It makes no sense that I can copy to the server, but cannot copy to my PC?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey @Anonza

What virtualization platform/software are you using? The S5520HC is an older generation of hardware and you may be hitting some edge cases around virtualization that aren't being handled correctly.

Please let us know what you're using for virtualization, how many CPU cores and GB of RAM are assigned, and how you're presenting the storage devices/controller to the TrueNAS VM.

Anonza

Dabbler
Hey @Anonza

What virtualization platform/software are you using? The S5520HC is an older generation of hardware and you may be hitting some edge cases around virtualization that aren't being handled correctly.

Please let us know what you're using for virtualization, how many CPU cores and GB of RAM are assigned, and how you're presenting the storage devices/controller to the TrueNAS VM.
Thanks HoneyBadger for the response.
  • Platform - ESXi-6.5.0-20190804001-standard (VMware, Inc.)
  • x2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5504 @ 2.00GHz - Logical processors: 8 - Cores per socket: 4
  • 23.92 GB RAM (16GB Assigned to TrueNAS VM)
  • SCSI Controller 0 - LSI Logic Parallel (SCSI Bus Sharing - None)
Let me know what else you need.

I have literally changed all settings that I know could have made a change, with no avail.

I have since reverted all changes that I have made to a default installation of sorts.

Thanks again HoneyBadger

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
SCSI Controller 0 - LSI Logic Parallel (SCSI Bus Sharing - None)
For the boot disk? Or for all of them? You cannot use virtual disks for storage with TrueNAS in ESXi.

Anonza

Dabbler
For the boot disk? Or for all of them? You cannot use virtual disks for storage with TrueNAS in ESXi.
HDDs.png

See the above image.

This is what it is set as.

How would this affect the copying from the server to my PC?
I can copy stuff to the server, this makes no sense.

I just assigned these disks to the Virtual machine to show in the disk list.

Thanks again.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
First, this is an unsupported and strongly discouraged configuration that is known to lead to pool corruption and data loss.

I admit the server just crashing is weird.

But then ESXi 6.5 is quite outdated and definitely does not know about FreeBSD 13 - which is what TrueNAS CORE is built on.

And last, what type is your virtual network adapter? E1000 is considered the most robust by experience.

HTH,
Patrick

EDIT: waitaminute! I just re-read the whole thread. I missed the part with the Realtek network adapter. So you are running 6.5 because you are using the community network drivers for ESXi? Well, surprise - all sort of unexpected things can happen if you run unsupported software on unsupported hardware. Like server crashes. I apologize for being so blunt, but these are facts. And I'm german :smile:

Davvo

MVP

Anonza

Dabbler
First, this is an unsupported and strongly discouraged configuration that is known to lead to pool corruption and data loss.

I admit the server just crashing is weird.

But then ESXi 6.5 is quite outdated and definitely does not know about FreeBSD 13 - which is what TrueNAS CORE is built on.

And last, what type is your virtual network adapter? E1000 is considered the most robust by experience.

HTH,
Patrick

EDIT: waitaminute! I just re-read the whole thread. I missed the part with the Realtek network adapter. So you are running 6.5 because you are using the community network drivers for ESXi? Well, surprise - all sort of unexpected things can happen if you run unsupported software on unsupported hardware. Like server crashes. I apologize for being so blunt, but these are facts. And I'm german :smile:
No problem with your help on this side, you are not at all sounding blunt. Thanks for all the info.

Just to clarify, the Server I am using has 2 Intel NICs. My Personal PC has Realtec NIC.

I have never installed any other network driver other than the default on VMware 6.5.0 Update 3 (Build 14320405)

Any idea how I can get my data off this Raid configured Pool?

I never knew this was going to happen when I first did it, otherwise I would slap myself in the past. lol

If I can understand why I can copy to the server, but not from it, this could then help lead to a fix.

EDIT: VM is indeed using E1000

:)

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
What would the TN be or where do I look to find that?

Sorry, I am by all definitions a noob with TrueNAS.

Thanks as well in advance.
TN = TrueNAS, I am wondering which version you are (ie. 13U-5.3) since there is a lsi firmware bug in some older version that has caused issues.

Any idea how I can get my data off this Raid configured Pool?
Are you running hardware RAID? That's a BIG no for ZFS!

Anonza

Dabbler
TN = TrueNAS, I am wondering which version you are (ie. 13U-5.3) since there is a lsi firmware bug in some older version that has caused issues.

Are you running hardware RAID? That's a BIG no for ZFS!
Thanks Davvo! :)

The version I have is: ESXi-6.5.0-20190804001-standard (VMware, Inc.) Update 3 (Build 14320405)

I am using Software RAID from within TrueNAS. No RAID card in use at all.

At least im a little less screwed now.. haha

Davvo

MVP
Thanks Davvo! :)

The version I have is: ESXi-6.5.0-20190804001-standard (VMware, Inc.) Update 3 (Build 14320405)

I am using Software RAID from within TrueNAS. No RAID card in use at all.

At least im a little less screwed now.. haha
Okay, but I want to know the version of TrueNAS you have installed xD Did I miss something and you have already written it somewhere?
Do not use terms like raid or similar, use proper zfs terminology!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS SCALE or TrueNAS CORE and which version? That's right on the dashboard when you load the UI in your browser.

Then I misread that Realtek comment, obviously. You run strictly server grade hardware. Fine. Still 6.5-U3 is from 2016 - that's stone age viewed from today.

First I'd check if there are any outstanding minor updates for that ESXi:
Code:
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
esxcli software sources profile list -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml

And then while your virtual disk drives are definitely a matter of concern in the long run I doubt they are the cause of your crashes. So again - what is your virtual network adapter for the TrueNAS VM configured as?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@Davvo They are running virtual disks with a virtual LSI parallel SCSI - not good. At least the hardware seems to be "ESXi compliant".

Anonza

Dabbler
Okay, but I want to know the version of TrueNAS you have installed xD Did I miss something and you have already written it somewhere?
Do not use terms like raid or similar, use proper zfs terminology!
My Apologies Davvo.. Ive been spending a lot of time trying to fix Vmware/TrueNAS that I confused the two..

TrueNAS-12.0-U3

Apologies for the lingo problem

Anonza

Dabbler
@Davvo They are running virtual disks with a virtual LSI parallel SCSI - not good. At least the hardware seems to be "ESXi compliant".
Hi Patrick,

Yeah apologies to you as well, I just moved the ESXI tab further down to avoid confusion on my part.

TrueNAS version is: TrueNAS-12.0-U3

TrueNAS CORE is what I have.

Screenshot 2023-10-15 222254.png

I see there are updated available, if I perform these, it shouldn't corrupt the Data right?

VM is indeed using E1000