Converting pc to truenas scale

ShadowZie

Cadet
Hey, I want to convert my lenovo pc for truenas scale and I want to use it as nas server with nextcloud

those are the specs of the PC :

link - https://www.zayntek.com/product/10s...entre-m720s-10st-sff-pentium-gold-g5400-3-new (I have 4gb version)
CPU - Intel Pentium Gold G5400 / 3.7 GHz dual core
4gb ram (I will upgrade to 8gb)
180w power supply
Samsung 500gb SSD
and I have 1gb network connection

--
I have a few questions
  1. I am planning to use this NAS for nextcloud talk (Up to 4 +- people in a meeting) , backup stuff, and a few apps and it will be used with up to 4 +- users at the same time will those specs be enough for it?
  2. I want to use 2 14tb drivers but the problem is that the pc only has 1 power connector so I am planning to use Dual Bay with both of the drivers and the SSD with the OS inside will that be ok or there is a better way and will it support 2 drivers of 14tb?
  3. and the last thing is what is the best configuration that I should use with it? what I thought was one drive to use as backup and a second to store stuff
thank you for helping me !!:)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need at the very least 8 GB of memory and better 16 GB. You need a dedicated drive for the OS installation. You can use your 500 GB SSD for that, although that might be a bit of a waste.

With these components you do not have any storage, yet. You write you want to connect 2 drives of 14 TB each. How are you planning to mount these inside that small form factor system? External USB drives are not supported. Don't even think of doing it. You will lose data if you do.

ShadowZie

Cadet
You need at the very least 8 GB of memory and better 16 GB. You need a dedicated drive for the OS installation. You can use your 500 GB SSD for that, although that might be a bit of a waste.

With these components you do not have any storage, yet. You write you want to connect 2 drives of 14 TB each. How are you planning to mount these inside that small form factor system? External USB drives are not supported. Don't even think of doing it. You will lose data if you do.
Hey thank you , about the ram I can upgrade it to 8
the os I can use it with the SSD
for the drives I have 2 options because I have only one power connector for hdd

1. put one 14tb inside and the OS as USB and the second one on a drive bay
2. or put both of the drives on drive bay

ShadowZie

Cadet
Hey thank you , about the ram I can upgrade it to 8
the os I can use it with the SSD
for the drives I have 2 options because I have only one power connector for hdd

1. put one 14tb inside and the OS as USB and the second one on a drive bay
2. or put both of the drives on drive bay
Oh nvm about t he drive bay :/ its USB and its not supported
do you have any solution that I could use or the only option is to switch for a different system?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This PC is not suitable as a NAS. At least if you want to run any version of TrueNAS.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The power splitter itself is not unsafe. What is the power budget the PSU in that small PC can drive? How will you be mounting the disks? What about cooling?

You need at least

- one small SSD for booting
- two drives, spinning or SSD for storage - two if you want any redundancy

That would fit your 3 SATA ports. Still 8 G of memory is dangerously low and the system also does not have ECC support, does it?

somethingweird

Contributor
I am planning to use this NAS for nextcloud talk (Up to 4 +- people in a meeting) , backup stuff, and a few apps and it will be used with up to 4 +- users at the same time will those specs be enough for it?

You going to need additional memory for nextcloud and a few apps. On top of the the requirements for truenas scale.

ShadowZie

Cadet
The power splitter itself is not unsafe. What is the power budget the PSU in that small PC can drive? How will you be mounting the disks? What about cooling?

You need at least

- one small SSD for booting
- two drives, spinning or SSD for storage - two if you want any redundancy

That would fit your 3 SATA ports. Still 8 G of memory is dangerously low and the system also does not have ECC support, does it?
The power supply is rated for 180w
it has 2 mounting placements that I can put 2 HDD

and about the cooling it has 2 fans one in the back and one in the front

ShadowZie

Cadet
I am thinking to just buy a new PC with more cores and more ram so I won't have a problem with the power supply or something like that

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
2 mounting placements that I can put 2 HDD
2x 3.5"? Or 2x 2.5"? If the latter these drives are almost exclusively SMR and not usable with ZFS. You could opt for 2x 2.5" SSDs then.