SOLVED Can Copy to TrueNas from my PC, But Server crashes when copying to my PC. (Changed Adapter Type to VMXNET3)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
E1000 is good. TrueNAS update is good. But I would be much more concerned about an ESXi update. Why can't you run at least 6.7?

Anonza

Dabbler
E1000 is good. TrueNAS update is good. But I would be much more concerned about an ESXi update. Why can't you run at least 6.7?
The SuperMicro Server I am using is only supported on what I am currently using and backwards. ESXI want me to spend money I don't want to spend.. lol

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
With all the already unsupported topology - could you connect another disk drive, then pass that entire drive to your TrueNAS VM (not supported! just saying :wink:), create a second non-redundant zpool and copy the data to that?

That drive should afterwards be readable by any Ubuntu or FreeBSD system with ZFS - or a new properly designed TrueNAS server.

Also - just to change a single variable - change the network adapter type to VMXNET3. You will probably need to use the console to reconfigure TrueNAS networking.

Davvo

MVP

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you are actively thinking of a "recovery" path, I suggest

- a scrub of your pool in TrueNAS
- a clean shutdown of the VM
- copy the virtual disk images from your ESXi VMFS to some other storage - that should not crash your system. Use the datastore browser.

If you have a FreeBSD system with sufficient space to hold all these VMDK files, you can reconstruct and import your pool. It's not entirely easy but also not rocket science.

Last edited:

Anonza

Dabbler
@Patrick M. Hausen @Davvo

Thanks guys, you have been fantastic with the help.

At this stage, I will attempt to install ESXI 7.0 by adding the following kernel option: allowLegacyCPU=true

This will allow me to install the new ESXI that might resolve the issue. I see other people running it and no issues(TouchWood)

The main issue with me performing the recovery is that I do not have another 7TB of space just laying about.

I will attempt my best on this and will let you two know what the results are.

I just need to get my data off. Then the Server can literally go on holiday if it wants too.

Kind regards,
Richard

Anonza

Dabbler
@Patrick M. Hausen @Davvo

GUYS..... You wont believe what the issue was. After changing literally all the settings.

I changed the Adapter Type to: VMXNET3

AND IT WORKS!!!!!

I just managed to copy almost 10GB in one go.

I am flabbergasted!

:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you guys so much for the help.

10/10 for community assistance.

Special Thanks to you Patrick on the suggestion!

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP