Announcing FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoo

Dabbler
RC1 has a new feature with a rather nasty side effect, it makes it impossible to spin down the drives because of this:
Code:
Sep  1 18:55:01 shrek freenas[8941]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health storage1
Sep  1 18:55:01 shrek freenas[8941]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health backup1
Sep  1 19:00:01 shrek freenas[8972]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health storage1
Sep  1 19:00:01 shrek freenas[8972]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health backup1

The above will 'ping' all drives every 5 minutes, meaning no spin down.

Any workaround for this? I noticed this earlier but didn't see a ticket in the support section.

pauldonovan

Explorer
It's in /usr/local/bin You have to use the CLI to play with it.

I tried 'iozone' in a terminal session before I posted. Either the executable's not called 'iozone', or /usr/local/bin isn't in the root user's path. I will investigate further when I get home.

Paul

louis-m

Dabbler
iperf is there but trace of no iozone. that aside, freenas is getting better with every build and i'm sure 8.1 will be good.
from a fresh install (last beta didn't go in well), i had 8.01-RC1 up and running within minutes, disks auto imported from previous beta's, nfs shares up and rsync modules running, syslog the lot.
very, very simple and i do have to chuckle when people at work wheel in bufalo nas's and call them the dog's nuts. they do have to get out more!
well done to the dev's etc......really appreciated. dedupe here we come!

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I tried 'iozone' in a terminal session before I posted. Either the executable's not called 'iozone', or /usr/local/bin isn't in the root user's path. I will investigate further when I get home.

Paul

Seems like iozone was not in a code merge... I did add it back, it will be in RELEASE

Drives spindown

Any workaround for this? I noticed this earlier but didn't see a ticket in the support section.

Well, I plan to use FreeNAS as a video server for video editing. Do I want the drives to spin down ? I think I need the drives to spin forever, 24/7 (as does my current NAS server).

Pierre

chris8051

Dabbler
Problem booting on Dell Power Edge R710

I have boot freeze up problem on RC1 on Dell PE R710 when booting from USB. Gets as far as listing

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 0

F6 PXE
Boot: F1

then locks up forever. I know the USB stick image is fine because I can boot it on a different desktop PC without problem. Something incompatible with Dell R710??

globus999

Contributor
I have boot freeze up problem on RC1 on Dell PE R710 when booting from USB. Gets as far as listing

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 0

F6 PXE
Boot: F1

then locks up forever. I know the USB stick image is fine because I can boot it on a different desktop PC without problem. Something incompatible with Dell R710??

Do you get a sequence of ######## ?
In any event, it is most likely a BIOS incompatibility issue. There is a bug # opened with this issue (I am too lazy to search for it). I don't think it has been resolved. It usually happens with older PCs. Any chance you could update to a more modern BIOS?

chris8051

Dabbler
Dell PE R710 boot fail

The R710 is only a couple of months old. I do not get the # signs, I don't even get the rotating slash marks you usually get during boot. Just hangs. I can check with Dell to see if new BIOS is avail but given the newness of the model I doubt it. Will post anything I find.

J

jpaetzel

Seems like iozone was not in a code merge... I did add it back, it will be in RELEASE

As a workaround if the freenas box has internet connectivity from the CLI you can do mount -uw / && pkg_add -r iozone

All he bits are there, just not the binary itself. Sorry I muffed this, great catch!

chris8051

Dabbler
The R710 is only a couple of months old. I do not get the # signs, I don't even get the rotating slash marks you usually get during boot. Just hangs. I can check with Dell to see if new BIOS is avail but given the newness of the model I doubt it. Will post anything I find.

Incidentally I also tried installing FreeBSD 8.2-amd64 (not FreeNAS) on this same hardware and it works fine so I do not think it is an underlying operating system compatibility issue. My understanding is that FreeNAS 8.0.1 is based on FreeBSD 8.2 so if one works I would think the other should?... Granted the FreeBSD install is hard drive based not a flash boot.

andymemo

Dabbler
Just upragede looks like the UPS functionality regressed since 8r7487 as I am now getting errors saying connection refused.

I can second this problem following an update from Beta4. The rest of the upgrade process went ok.

Code:
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS ntpd[1567]: ntpd 4.2.4p5-a (1)
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for nut
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS upsmon[1681]: UPS [upshh]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS upsmon[1681]: Communications with UPS upshh lost

Attachments

• cli-log.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 599

GeoffLee

Dabbler
Looking forward to upgrading! Thanks for all the work that went into getting an RC out for 8.0.1!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I can second this problem following an update from Beta4. The rest of the upgrade process went ok.

Code:
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS ntpd[1567]: ntpd 4.2.4p5-a (1)
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for nut
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS upsmon[1681]: UPS [upshh]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
Sep  3 11:09:47 NAS upsmon[1681]: Communications with UPS upshh lost

The UPS is fixed but it's not in RC1 as you all have noticed. You can get it with one of the nightly builds.

H

HwyXingFrog

I'm curious what progress (if any) has been done on this bug: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/529

I ask because it is a huge issue in my system requiring me to reboot my FreeNAS box every few days. Either way this RC is a significant upgrade from the Beta2 that I'm still running.

So, here's an update on how my system is working specifically.

1) Doing a config backup (Save Config), fresh install of 8.0.1RC1 64 bit to new USB Stick, and restored config (Upload Config). Everything seems to have worked perfectly using a config from 8.0.1Beta2 to the RC1, although it seems that it did one extra reboot after the upload, but it may have been necessary to complete everything.

2) Ticket #529 that I updated with my previous 8.0.1Beta2 issues seems to be resolved (I updated with a new screenshot: https://support.freenas.org/ticket/529). I will update after a few more days. But it seems that it is no longer decrementing like it was.

Overall, I'm very happy with how my system is working, lets see if I can get over 7 days of uptime without having to reboot, I'm going to be going out of town for a week so this RC is just in time for me.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

andymemo

Dabbler
High CPU from smbd process

Does any one else see high CPU usage from the smbd process? I've opened a support ticket (#721) as this only started with my system since 8.0.1 RC1. The same issue is present for me in the '8r7546-amd64' nightly build.

Code:
last pid:  2933;  load averages:  0.97,  0.98,  0.79    up 0+00:22:53  19:04:12
48 processes:  2 running, 46 sleeping
CPU: 12.8% user,  0.0% nice, 34.6% system,  0.8% interrupt, 51.9% idle
Mem: 126M Active, 80M Inact, 462M Wired, 4792K Cache, 143M Buf, 7215M Free
Swap: 2048M Total, 2048M Free

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 2060 root          1 117    0 48116K 10820K CPU1    1  19:44 99.66% smbd
 1850 root          6  44    0   119M 62520K uwait   0   0:05  0.00% python
 1839 root          2  76    0 31500K  4316K select  0   0:03  0.00% afpd

Guess where I installed RC1... FreeNAS-CPU graph.jpg

benool

Cadet
Severe issue with RC1

Hi,

I'm using FreeNAS8 on my backup box build arond Nforce4 hardware and I have been having some issue with the latest 8 beta and RC1.

Just baught a 2gb USB key to install BETA4 as an update from an old 8 version. This went fine except for importing the already existing RAIDZ1 array. (this is the same in RC1)
Using the GUI auto import just does nothing to bring back the array.
Running the command manually in a SSH shell I could see why it fails:
Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zpool import -R /mnt datamain
cannot import 'datamain': pool may be in use from other system, it was last accessed by  (hostid: 0x85fe3393) on Sun Sep  4 03:40:16 2011
use '-f' to import anyway

[root@freenas] ~# zpool import -f -R /mnt datamain
[root@freenas] ~# zpool export datamain
[root@freenas] ~#

You also see the workaround I used: simply force the import once; export the pool and then return to GUI auto import => this time it works.

2nd issue in next post.

benool

Cadet
ZFS import issue with BETA4 / RC1

Recently updated an old 8 release to BETA4 and now RC1 and been getting this issue with importing back an existing ZFS RAIDZ1 array.

The BETA4 requiring a 2gb usbkey, I performed a fresh install and once in GUI, used the storage auto import. It turned out it was unable to import anything. Ussing a SSH shell, I could see the error:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zpool import -R /mnt datamain
cannot import 'datamain': pool may be in use from other system, it was last accessed by  (hostid: 0x85fe3393) on Sun Sep  4 03:40:16 2011
use '-f' to import anyway

[root@freenas] ~# zpool import -f -R /mnt datamain
[root@freenas] ~# zpool export datamain
[root@freenas] ~#

You can also see the workaround used: force the import; export the pool right after then use again the GUI Auto import. This time it works.

benool

Cadet
Status
Not open for further replies.