Announcing FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

audix

Dabbler
From the announcement:

You can't perform an in-place GUI upgrade to 8.0.1-RELEASE or 8.0.2-RELEASE from a release prior to 8.0.1-BETA3 - you must create a new install.
If I am not mistaken r7555 is between 8.0.1.RC1 and RC2 and thus newer than 8.0.1-beta3 (I went through the larger size-change some releases before r7555).
But it is a nightly and maybe something broke after RC1 and was fixed in RC2?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
If I am not mistaken r7555 is between 8.0.1.RC1 and RC2 and thus newer than 8.0.1-beta3 (I went through the larger size-change some releases before r7555).
But it is a nightly and maybe something broke after RC1 and was fixed in RC2?

r7555 is a nightly, build from trunk...
8.0.x was branched from trunk something near r7300+, so r7555 to anything 8.0.x is considered a downgrade, and thus not supported...

audix

Dabbler
Aha, ok. Now I understand more about releases and the use of trunk. Thanks!

bronzarr

Cadet
I now use freenas 8.0.1, I want to full install the new version 8.0.2.

The question is:
Before I install freenas 8.0.2, I should export ZFS disk by "Export Volumn" via Web GUI After finished installation I import disk by "Auto Import" via Web GUI?

OR I should export disk by shell command "zpool export" and import by "zpool import"?

Please suggest the best way and impossible please let me know the defference of each way.

Milhouse

Guru
The question is:
Before I install freenas 8.0.2, I should export ZFS disk by "Export Volumn" via Web GUI After finished installation I import disk by "Auto Import" via Web GUI?

OR I should export disk by shell command "zpool export" and import by "zpool import"?

Neither.

If you are already on 8.0.1-RELEASE, just upgrade to 8.02-RELEASE by using the GUI upgrade version, via your browser - no need to export any data.

I would urge you take at the very least save your current config, and also - if possible - take a backup (dd) of your current installation media *just in case* it all goes wrong and you need to roll back to 8.0.1-RELEASE.

chris8051

Dabbler
Still broken on Dell Poweredge R710

Still no boot on new Dell servers. Hangs after Boot: F1

Daisuke

Contributor
I now use freenas 8.0.1, I want to full install the new version 8.0.2.

The question is:

Please suggest the best way and impossible please let me know the defference of each way.

When I upgraded my NAS from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 through GUI, all I did was following the wiki instructions. I have a ZFS raidz1 array of 6 x2TB disks, with the OS running on a USB stick.

bronzarr

Cadet
Neither.

If you are already on 8.0.1-RELEASE, just upgrade to 8.02-RELEASE by using the GUI upgrade version, via your browser - no need to export any data.

I would urge you take at the very least save your current config, and also - if possible - take a backup (dd) of your current installation media *just in case* it all goes wrong and you need to roll back to 8.0.1-RELEASE.

Thank you, I will upgrade by using the GUI upgrade tonight.

However, in case it is necessarily need a full install such as moving freenas frome USB drive to install new version on a new Solid State Drive or if a USB drive is broken and needed to be changed, is there anyway to protect the data to be the most safely secured.

Milhouse

Guru
is there anyway to protect the data to be the most safely secured.

Other than taking a complete backup, no, although if you are really paranoid I suppose you could disconnect all your data drives until you are satisfied you have a working installation but to be honest your data will be perfectly safe, as the data is completely separate from the OS installation.

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Why are the compresses images files not released as industry standard ZIP / tar.gz files? 7zip in Windows simply refuse to extract the image, even after re-downloading it 4 TIMES. I eventually had to copy the image to a remote Linux server on which I could install xz, extract it, then create a tar.gz file (which was only about 10MB bigger) then copy it back to our LAN in order to install it. Such a pain in the neck.

Durkatlon

Patron
Upgrade your 7zip to a later version. I run v9.20 and it extracts xz files no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.