Announcing FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jpaetzel

I'm pleased to announce that FreeNAS-8.0.1 Release Candidate 1 is available for download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.0.1/

Release Notes for FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC1

This is the first release candidate for FreeNAS 8.0.1. At this point, we are no longer
including new features or functionality into 8.0.1. From here on out, only bug fixes and
regressions will be addressed.

*** IMPORTANT ***

The image size increased in 8.0.1-BETA3. The new size requires a 2 GB storage device.
The GUI upgrade can be used to upgrade a system from BETA3 or BETA4, but upgrades
from earlier releases can only be done from the CD. The other option is to save
the config, reinstall the new version, then restore the config.

Major changes:

- There is no longer a default password. The GUI can be accessed without a password until
one is set. The root shell user also does not have a default password, which means that
logins by root from the console or via ssh are impossible until this is done. The edit
password field for the GUI admin user contains a checkbox to set the root shell user
password to the same value.

- The GUI incorporates an alert system in the form of a stoplight that is visible from every
page in the GUI. If the light is red or yellow clicking on it will open a window with the
condition that is causing the alert. On new installs the light will be red due to their
being no password set for the GUI. Also, when there are no alerts a Green Light is
displayed. Clicking the Green Light opens a blank dialog.

- Netatalk 2.2 is included, which provides support for Time Machine backups to OS X Lion
clients.

- Deleting ZFS volumes is now really an export operation, which means that a "deleted"
volume can be imported via the volume importer until the member disks are reused in a new volume. The GUI contains options for wiping the disks if you really want the volume to be non-recoverable, as well as an option for not cascading the deletion of a volume to shares based on that volume.

- The system now supports disabling the creation of a swap partition on every device in a
volume. Furthermore, since L2ARC and cache devices are generally small, high speed, and more expensive $/GB than the main storage drives, swap to these devices is always disabled.

- UFS volumes support setting arbitrary mount points, this can be leveraged to move /var to a persistent storage device.

Changes since 8.0.1-BETA4

- Rework the stats gathering daemon to pull volume information from the database and exclude all other volumes. This should fix issues where systems with large numbers of snapshots were filling up /var as the system would try to collect stats on each snapshot.

- Support for remote syslog servers.

- Rework and improvement in snapshot replication tasks.

- iSCSI file extents use the directory browser.

- Support multiple lagg interfaces properly.

- Bulk manipulation of snapshots.

- Ability to specify a bind address for the webGUI.

- Add support for alias IPs on interfaces.

- Add support for the RocketRaid 4322 and 4321.

- Add the user info to allow anonymous FTP setups to work properly.

- Fix disk replacement in RAIDZ volumes.

- Add iozone and iperf to the base system.

- Add sge network driver.

- Update to Samba 3.5.11 version, plus security fixes.

- Fix the NTFS volume importer.

- Add the ability to specify the port the webGUI uses.

- Add sym driver to the build.

- Add wget to the base system.

- Add iperf to the base system.

- Raise default blocksize and fragment size for UFS to 32K and 4K.

- Add some shell customizations and aliases to make the default shell more useful.

- Add uplcom to the kernel.

- Add an SNMP module in that provides a number of useful MIBs.

Errata:

iSCSI doesn't work with VMWare ESXi 5.0. An update to the iSCSI target software that
addresses this issue will be available before 8.0.1-RELEASE.

CHAP doesn't work with GlobalSAN initiators on OS X.

Upgrades from FreeNAS 0.7 aren't supported.

Filename:
FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-amd64-Full_Install.xz
SHA256 Hash:
1cf116d4f973afcb4a6aaac44ad25d3ce24e9ba883d4c227f145f89de2adf654

Filename:
FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-amd64-GUI_Upgrade.xz
SHA256 Hash:
b97bc66ec2eba29825819b64403e9ed34b8a3485c0a124635ca6b069916c0034

Filename:
FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-amd64.iso
SHA256 Hash:
13cbc4b6aa30dbaf816b94350e036358c55a16c41ef00eb228850c9f833053c8

Filename:
FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-i386-Full_Install.xz
SHA256 Hash:
17339e801b6f86427047540f47e2840d88a6a40e0a6afe24bf5cebe51f0dee45

Filename:
FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-i386-GUI_Upgrade.xz
SHA256 Hash:
1c16dd85124b67a9ea734249802890329e36a83abc41682435a239132610de2b

Filename:
FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-i386.iso
SHA256 Hash:
ed30b23d3dd59753eb6bbe9fc8cf9fadedd6d9b9eaf10e19cb058dc329c8a109

H

HwyXingFrog

Thanks for the Release Candidate.

I will definitely be reinstalling my FreeNAS Box soon (especially since I can't upgrade from Beta2 anyway). Hopefully tomorrow I can get the upgrade done and update with any bugs.

I'm curious what progress (if any) has been done on this bug: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/529

I ask because it is a huge issue in my system requiring me to reboot my FreeNAS box every few days. Either way this RC is a significant upgrade from the Beta2 that I'm still running.

Durkatlon

Patron
Hmm, just tried upgrading from 8.0.1-BETA4. After the new image uploaded, I got the following error on the console:

kernel: pid 1692 (python), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

Then upgrade process was stalled at this point, the GUI was dead ("500 Internal Server Error"). I tried to reboot from the console. That was successful, but came up as BETA4, not RC1.

Any ideas?

Update: This was due to low memory on the "system" in question (VMWare). After I bumped it up the upgrade went off without a hitch.

ProtoSD

MVP
Reminder to everyone, backup your customizations or they will be lost during the upgrade. This means stuff like loader.conf, stuff in /etc, any hacks you've done. I'm envious cause I won't get to play with this til I get back!

Tekkie

Patron
I'm curious what progress (if any) has been done on this bug: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/529

I ask because it is a huge issue in my system requiring me to reboot my FreeNAS box every few days. Either way this RC is a significant upgrade from the Beta2 that I'm still running.
Have you tried tuning the ZFS memory parameters yourself? Search for ZFS guru in the forum and follow the guidelines in there for memory allocation.

Tekkie

Patron
Just upragede looks like the UPS functionality regressed since 8r7487 as I am now getting errors saying connection refused.

andrew0401

Dabbler
Just upgraded from 8.0 release (AMD64) - seemed to go well , but if you go into CIFS options when you try and exit via the OK or the Cancel button then all AIO fields are cleared and a red message comes up "This field is required" but any attempt to load a value makes no difference - still the "This field is required" error

Andrew

UPDATE

Again this problem occurs with Firefox but is OK with IE9

andrew0401

Dabbler
If you try Global Configuration or network summary as the indents under the Network tab - all you get is an icon that says system and two options - expand all and collapse all - neither does anything. Running 8.0.1RC1 AMD64 access via Firefox 6.0.1

UPDATE

But works OK from IE 9.0.8112

Andrew

Stenull

Dabbler
Just upgraded from 8.0 release (AMD64) - seemed to go well , but if you go into CIFS options when you try and exit via the OK or the Cancel button then all AIO fields are cleared and a red message comes up "This field is required" but any attempt to load a value makes no difference - still the "This field is required" error

Andrew

UPDATE

Again this problem occurs with Firefox but is OK with IE9

I had this problem on beta4 using firefox, i noticed if i started CIFS service then the phenomena disappeared.

globus999

Contributor
Have you tried tuning the ZFS memory parameters yourself? Search for ZFS guru in the forum and follow the guidelines in there for memory allocation.

Tunning ZFS will do bupkus. I reported the bug in the first place and I had ZFS properly tunned since the begining. No, this is bug in the system.

BTW, I also reported that FN8 requires a ZFS tunning algo by default and OOB however, nothing so far.

BrokenSpring

Cadet
Thanks for RC1, will definately be giving this a try this evening.

I just have one question, are we able to add a upnp server via the plugins?

ReggiePerrin

Cadet
GUI upgrade from AMD64-B4 on a HP Microserver went without a hitch.

Minor note: The Hash keys listed in the OP have a space inserted midway through them and therefore are invalid, use the ones in the readme.txt file (available in the download area).

Thanks for the new release, especially the new version of Appletalk.. Timemachine is now working again.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
If you try Global Configuration or network summary as the indents under the Network tab - all you get is an icon that says system and two options - expand all and collapse all - neither does anything. Running 8.0.1RC1 AMD64 access via Firefox 6.0.1

UPDATE

But works OK from IE 9.0.8112

Andrew

Browser cache

H

HwyXingFrog

Tunning ZFS will do bupkus. I reported the bug in the first place and I had ZFS properly tunned since the begining. No, this is bug in the system.

BTW, I also reported that FN8 requires a ZFS tunning algo by default and OOB however, nothing so far.

So, globus999, I assume this probably isn't fixed yet. I don't understand why this isn't a bigger issue for more people. I'm thinking in my situation it is due to having a number of torrents seeding (to keep registered tracker ratios high).

J

jpaetzel

How much RAM is in the system? Decompressing the xz could have run the system out of RAM, causing the system to kill processes to try and free up memory. Sounds like it killed the django backend.

J

jpaetzel

Hmm, just tried upgrading from 8.0.1-BETA4. After the new image uploaded, I got the following error on the console:

kernel: pid 1692 (python), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

Then upgrade process was stalled at this point, the GUI was dead ("500 Internal Server Error"). I tried to reboot from the console. That was successful, but came up as BETA4, not RC1.

Any ideas?

How much RAM is in the system? Decompressing the xz could have run the system out of RAM, causing the system to kill processes to try and free up memory. Sounds like it killed the django backend.

Durkatlon

Patron

Thanks. After I posted my message last night I was thinking the same thing, but it was getting late :D. This is a VMWare instance and I had it set to very low RAM because I was experimenting with ZFS replication and didn't have enough RAM in this system to keep everything up and running with larger RAM.

This morning I bumped up the RAM and tried it again and this time it went off without any problems. I have updated the original post to reflect this.

Tekkie

Patron
RC1 has a new feature with a rather nasty side effect, it makes it impossible to spin down the drives because of this:
Code:
Sep  1 18:55:01 shrek freenas[8941]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health storage1
Sep  1 18:55:01 shrek freenas[8941]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health backup1
Sep  1 19:00:01 shrek freenas[8972]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health storage1
Sep  1 19:00:01 shrek freenas[8972]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health backup1

The above will 'ping' all drives every 5 minutes, meaning no spin down.

Status
Not open for further replies.