A user too many on Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryVog

Explorer
Recently I had to replace my cable modem. This involved a change of the subnet mask. We used to have 192.168.0.xxx and now all the IP addresses in my network start with 192.168.178.xxx, including my FreeNAS server. It seems to work okay now, except I can't set the service status of Plexmediaserver to ON. Each time I try, it lets me wait a while and then it gives the not so helpful "Some error occurred".

So I needed another IP address for my Plex jail which resulted in some confusion with my password manager. I created a new Plex user and the server started reindexing all the movies. Then I discovered my previous user name and password in my password manager. I successfully logged in, only to find that my jail couldn't be accessed. I suspect that it is in use by the newly created user, or it still tries to connect to the old 192.168.0.xxx address.

On my Apple TV, I get connected to my old user automatically. I prefer to keep on using my old user login because it knows which movies I've seen. But even if I would want to use my new user credentials, I don't know how to switch to them on my Apple TV.

garm

Wizard
Hi

It sounds to me like your trying to fix symptoms and not your root issues.

Why would a new cable modem force a change of your LAN network address? Can't you just set it to 192.168.0.0/24 and thus skipp the issue of redoing your network?

TerryVog

Explorer
Hi

It sounds to me like your trying to fix symptoms and not your root issues.

Why would a new cable modem force a change of your LAN network address? Can't you just set it to 192.168.0.0/24 and thus skipp the issue of redoing your network?
I don't know if I can do that. The new cable modem is provided by the cable company. And I wonder what would be easier: to change the settings on Plex and the Apple TV or to change the new cable modem and the entire network.

garm

Wizard
Well there might be market restrictions I'm not accustomed with, but I would never let an ISP dictate things to that detail on hardware I own.

If you are locked out of your modem then call your ISP and ask if they can open up the modems NAT and let you run a router/firewall of your own behind it.

Ok more than likely what has happened is that the new modem is more than just a modem kinda like the previous one it's a combo device that also acts as a router. The old one was preconfigured to work with one set of IP addresses and the new one has a different default configuration.

So with that explained I see two options. Go into the modem/router interface and change what ip addresses it is using to the old settings or reset the the jails/plugins so they use the new settings.

Go look on the bottom of the cable modem/router and you will see a label that has information about how to log in to it like the ip address along with a username and password. Log in, fix the network and problem solved. Just because it's a rental or different device doesn't mean you can not make changes to the internal settings unless your provider is REALLY dumb. If that is the case you return the combo device and get a modem that is NOT A COMBO and buy a router(not from the provider) and set things up however you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.