Plex streaming to LG TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
Hi community! Need your help, once more.
'till a few weeks ago and since I've installed plex (long time ago), I used to see movies from plex server on my LG TV.
Just choose Plex from the source menu and than the movie I would like to see.

From a weeks 'till now, the movie list on TV is extremely slow. I take about 4 minutes to start a movie, and is just impossible to navigate in the list to choose others movies besides the first ones.

Is this a Freenas issue, or Plex? Can't be on TV side because I've two and both with same behaviour.
Someone else on same situation? Any Solution?

Thank you for your help.

nojohnny101

Wizard
This is really more appropriately asked on the Plex forums.

You have have provided barely any information about your problem or your setup beyond saying "I have a problem".
For any chance of a response on here you are encouraged to post full system specs along with FreeNAS version and how you install plex (plug? jail? iocage? warden?).

Can't be on TV side because I've two and both with same behaviour.
This is not sound logic. Maybe your smart TV got an update and slowed everything down. Please post more information and be as detailed as possible including things you have already tried in fixing it.

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
Thank you for the help.
The two TV's are both LG but different models.
Tried many things
  • Optimize database
  • Delete 50% of the movies, to check if too many data could be the issue.
  • Delete cache
  • Plex is running in a Jail, but a new one on iocage as the same behaviour
  • Made a reset on TV
  • Deleted apps on TV to release memory
My system is
Code:
Compilação	FreeNAS-11.1-U2
Plataforma	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Memória	8153MB
Hora de Sistema	Dom, 25 Fev 2018 20:15:15 +0000
Ligado	8:15PM up 1:22, 1 user
Carga média	0.45, 0.42, 0.40

Changed nothing on system, beside updates.

Note: The issue is only with movies (cinema). Photos, home video, music ... all OK

The problem is likely an underpowered CPU along with too little RAM, or basically user configuration error i.e. it's built wrong.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q8300+@+2.50GHz

It's an old DDR2 system with a FSB so performance will be less than stellar for FreeNAS in general and you are attempting to make it run Plex. Double the RAM at the very least and make sure that all your media is encoded in H264 with AAC audio and you will have better luck. I know becuase I also have an LG TV with Plex usage. Attempting to use it with a test system that was near your specs was teduious, slow and plain sucked.

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
The problem is likely an underpowered CPU along with too little RAM, or basically user configuration error i.e. it's built wrong.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q8300+@+2.50GHz

It's an old DDR2 system with a FSB so performance will be less than stellar for FreeNAS in general and you are attempting to make it run Plex. Double the RAM at the very least and make sure that all your media is encoded in H264 with AAC audio and you will have better luck. I know becuase I also have an LG TV with Plex usage. Attempting to use it with a test system that was near your specs was teduious, slow and plain sucked.
It's running very well, everything. Only the part of plex and only from a few weeks till now.

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através do Tapatalk

And probably had a Plex update which is much more likely to cause problems. The system should have more ram to run a jail and the requirements are only going to become larger as time goes by. If you didn't update Plex then something else changed in the system. Pool capacity, drive failing, data errors, installed something else, who knows how many other things could have changed. But you should be looking to the Plex Forums on this one in all honesty but they will probably suggest low system specs as well.

Just look a few years back when having 1GB of ram in a computer was all you would need compared to today when 4GB is just scrapping by. Before long even to run a desktop computer will require 16GB of ram minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.