Can't update Plex plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 1.31.17 PM.png
I just purchased the latest Apple TV, mainly because it now offers a Plex app. I downloaded the app, signed in to my Plex account, but my TV screen said Plex update is required.

I went into my Freeness GUI, and I saw an update to Plex was available. I clicked the Update button, it downloaded the update, and I changed the update status to ON. But the Update option is still showing, as per the image attached, and the Update Required message continues to show on my Apple TV.

Am I missing something? Please help.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I personally don't use the update function in the GUI and run the update script posted here in the forums. The GUI will always show the incorrect version and that an update is available but I could care less about that.

Code:
Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation
type:  jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
type:  fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
type:  chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
type:  ./PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a

BeeoHat

Explorer
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 3.09.33 PM.png
Thanks so much for the prompt response. I followed your instructions, copying and pasting the "fetch" command, but got the attached screen saying Cert. verification failed. So I continued with the next chmod line, but no such file was found. Did I miss something?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Try stopping the plex service in the GUI and run it again.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're running the commands from the main shell prompt. You need to open the plex jail shell prompt and enter the commands there.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
click on the jails icon at the top. Click on your plex jail to select it from the list. Once it is highlighted, at the bottom row there is an icon for a shell prompt. Click on that and it will open the shell prompt for the plex jail. Now run the commands listed and you should be gtg.

ETA: It will take a bit to download the update files and it will seem like nothing is happening. Leave it alone and let it finish and it should drop you back to the shell prompt when it's done.

Honestly I prefer doing all this over SSH using putty as the shell prompt in the GUI is limited in it's function.

Last edited:

BeeoHat

Explorer
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 5.20.19 PM.png

So I did exactly as instructed, and looks like I got the file. Do I also need to execute steps 5 & 6 mentioned earlier?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes

BeeoHat

Explorer
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 6.08.44 PM.png

Couldn't get the last command to accept. Looks like everything is spelled ok. Any thoughts?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok had that problem last time I updated.

Do you have a plex pass?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I actually found it easier to install my own plexmediaserver from pkg inside my own jail. I didn't like the update hoops for the plugin jail.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If I were starting from scratch that's what I would do too. But I've been running this Plex plug in jail for over a year now and I don't feel like rebuilding it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If I were starting from scratch that's what I would do too. But I've been running this Plex plug in jail for over a year now and I don't feel like rebuilding it.
I have moved my plex media server around a few times over the last couple of years. I just have a dataset for my plexdata so that I can easily attach the storage to another instance and never have to rebuild my database.

BeeoHat

Explorer
No, I don't have the PlexPass subscription, just the media server that came as an available plugin on Freeness. Do I need the subscription to avail of the Plex app on Apple TV?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
No, I don't have the PlexPass subscription, just the media server that came as an available plugin on Freeness. Do I need the subscription to avail of the Plex app on Apple TV?
No you don't need one. Aparently this version of the script is still not working. I'll attach a working script file and you'll either have to SSH into your server using putty and replace the contents of the PMS_Updater.sh file or FTP in to place the script in the root of the plex jail. Just remove the .txt file extension and replace it with .sh if you go the FTP route.

Attachments

• PMS_Updater.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 355

BeeoHat

Explorer
SSH into your server using putty and replace the contents of the PMS_Updater.sh file
This is way over my head, I'm afraid. I'm not savvy enough to follow either alternative, without explicit instructions. Thanks anyway for all your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.