Plex install on 11.2RC1...janky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Henrickson

Explorer
I have done a fresh install of 11.2 rc1 and then recreated my PLEX plugin and jail. I have setup my movies and PLEX found it; however, it'll find all of the movies but will NOT download ANY of the content required to show it. So no posters, etc. It won't even let me do a manual "Match." it gives me the option but acts like it doesn't have internet access. So weird. Anyway, I also have setup my TV Shows...spelled just like that and in the jail it shows that directory as "media/TV\040Shows" That is NOT what I typed in and apparently it doesn't like the space between TV and Shows so it adds crap between it. Is this a bug? I don't understand why it does that, then tells me that TV Shows is in an invalid format and then will not update the posters and metadata worth a fart. Suggestions? PLEASE HELP! You guys have been great thus far!

DJ

kdragon75

Wizard
In Unix, spaces in file names must be escaped in many cases. This is why \mnt\pool\media files\ may look like \mnt\pool\media/ files\. Either that or the name must be in quotes. i.e. "\mnt\pool\media files\". This si generaly hidden from any web interface in plex though.

As far as not pulling metadata etc I had a similar issue. I don't recall what it was but it was something stupid and simple. Sorry I can't be more help.

kdragon75

Wizard
@fracai YES! That's what it was, Plex did not have write permissions to its folders. Once I fixed that, it worked fine.

David Henrickson

Explorer
OK....thank you guys. I will look at the write permissions. It was easier in 11.1 to do that than 11.2.....or I was just used to it in 11.1 more so. Either way, I'll see what it does when I adjust those settings...again. Maybe I needed to do the recursive setting again. I remember having to do that a few times before it worked in 11.1 before it actually took. Maybe thats the case with this one too. o_O

kdragon75

Wizard
OK....thank you guys. I will look at the write permissions. It was easier in 11.1 to do that than 11.2.....or I was just used to it in 11.1 more so. Either way, I'll see what it does when I adjust those settings...again. Maybe I needed to do the recursive setting again. I remember having to do that a few times before it worked in 11.1 before it actually took. Maybe that's the case with this one too. o_O
The plex user needs write permission to the folder where the metadata and covers get saved. That's it.
Try the following from inside the plex jail:
chmod -R 755 /usr/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server
chown -R plex:plex /usr/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server

kdragon75

Wizard
This gives read, write, & execute to the owner and read, execute to everyone else.
Next is sets plex as the owner and group of all of the files.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Please keep us updated on what you found worked for you.
I have basically had to go into the legacy view of 11.2 and completely remove everything I had placed into "that" system. I then went into 11.2 and re-setup the PLEX server, jails and THEN I also redid the entire permission structure (with recursive) and it finally worked. I have noticed, that every 3-4 days of "up-time" I have to restart my entire server, as it loses connection. This doesn't show in the FreeNAS GUI, as it still states up, but if I make it go down and then back up....BOOM...works again. I also have to log in to the FreeNAS GUI every day or I get this "token expired" message, which seems to lock out everything, including my drives I have allocated within Windows as my storage. Kind of irritating. I am assuming this will be fixed upon an actual release, instead of this very long BETA version that is currently out.
The plex user needs write permission to the folder where the metadata and covers get saved. That's it.
Try the following from inside the plex jail:
chmod -R 755 /usr/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server
chown -R plex:plex /usr/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server
I didn't want to setup a PLEX within a "jail;" rather, I want to use the plugin. If they rewrote the plugin to work with the new system with all of the "click to updates" and very user friendly access, that is the way I want to use it. I get that the PLEX server running IN a jail is the "preferred" method; however, I am confident that EVENTUALLY, they will get the plugin to work the way it is supposed to. That is the whole point of going to iocage and removal of warden with the complete re-writing of the code. They are spending time to make it work RIGHT, I will hope they eventually get it right and it should work. To me, that is like buying a new car, only to still use public transportation 100% of the time cause it "just works," every time. Doesn't make sense at all. But thank you!

David Henrickson

Explorer
This works if you're interested :
https://youtu.be/99fQNbuAOlg
Ha...perfect video on the new 11.2. Good stuff there! I did; however, do this step by step initially, it just didn't "take" on the journey. Not sure why. I did redo it and it eventually worked. So weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.