Won't POST with 9.3 on USB claims to be fixed, or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

Wizard
I have installed a fresh copy of FreeNAS-9.3-Nightlies-201412060401 (from another USB key holding the ISO file ) on a 8GB Kingston Datatraveler 3.0 USB key.
After install procedure I removed the USB key containing the ISO file.

After reboot, the system is still not able to pass the POST.

As claimed on the previous thread, it would seem this has been solved, or is it?
Am I using the correct install file?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The file to use is: FreeNAS-9.3-BETA-201412060221

Edit: You may need to explain a little more here about what you are trying to do. I believe the goal isn't for your MB to auto-configure the boot device but rather during a typical update that the USB Flash drive remains configured as the boot device. If you are making changes like I expect you are, that will not work.

S

sef

After reboot, the system is still not able to pass the POST.

What happens then? Is it hanging in the self-test, or is it complaining about no boot disk?

When you are setting up a fresh system, depending on the motherboard, BIOS, and phase of the moon for all I know, you are much more likely to have to tell the BIOS about the boot order. I'm not sure if you did that.

Apollo

Wizard
Nothing to fancy in term of test procedure or what I am trying to accomplish.
I am trying to make my AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor work when booting from the USB. Which it can't as it freezes during BIOS POST.
I have first used FreeNAS-9.3-BETA-201412060221 and didn't go anywhere, then I saw the thread about having resolved the POST issue from the latest build. No mention of the time though, just date. So I tried on the latest being FreeNAS-9.3-Nightlies-201412060401. Still no success.

Did I miss something, or the "incompatibilty" with AMD processor remains unresolved?

S

sef

As I said before, I doubt this has anything to do with AMB. The BIOS maybe, but I doubt it's the processor.

At which point did it freeze during the POST? Can you post a picture of it?

ThreeDee

Guru
I have an old AMD AM2 setup that FreeNAS 9.3 Beta hangs at bios screen as well .. (haven't tried older versions of FreeNAS). I have Windows 7 on it and was just testing a FreeNAS loaded thumb drive on it for poops and giggles

Apollo

Wizard
As I said before, I doubt this has anything to do with AMB. The BIOS maybe, but I doubt it's the processor.

At which point did it freeze during the POST? Can you post a picture of it?

Also it seems that if I start the system without the USB key and if I were to connect it before another boot drive would boot the system, then whenever the USB key is inserted, the system will freeze.
If I boot with the USB key containing the ISO GRUB installer, and the GRUB start running, I can insert the Freenas 9.3 USB key (which would freeze the system), but in this particular instance it will not affect the system.
GRUB still runs and I can install Freenas on the otherwise failing USB key with success. However, still not being able to boot from it though.

Attachments

• freenas9-3.jpg
    freenas9-3.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 480
S

sef

Also it seems that if I start the system without the USB key and if I were to connect it before another boot drive would boot the system, then whenever the USB key is inserted, the system will freeze.
If I boot with the USB key containing the ISO GRUB installer, and the GRUB start running, I can insert the Freenas 9.3 USB key (which would freeze the system), but in this particular instance it will not affect the system.
GRUB still runs and I can install Freenas on the otherwise failing USB key with success. However, still not being able to boot from it though.

Is that after the memory test? Can you go into the BIOS there, or is it dead to the world?

I think my AMD system uses AMI BIOS, but I don't know which version (and I can't tell now, because I'm not in the office to boot it and watch).

I wonder if this is a GPT (vs MBR) issue -- your BIOS being not able to handle GPT for some reason.

Apollo

Wizard
System is dead and non responsive as soon the USB key is inserted.
The picture you see has not enumerated the RAM yet.

joeschmuck

Old Man
System is dead and non responsive as soon the USB key is inserted.
The picture you see has not enumerated the RAM yet.
Please forgive they way I ask questions but I have to keep things in very simple steps because I cannot assume you know what I am thinking. Please describe in great detail what you are doing which causes the problem, for example...

1) The system is powered off
2) I insert the USB Flash drive into the rear USB port (not a blue one)
3) I turn on the power and the system does not work and does not even get to the GRUB bootloader

or maybe you are actually shoving in the USB drive right after you have turned on the power, heck that is possible by the way your text is written but I'm assuming you mean the power is actually off before you insert the USB drive. As I said, keep it simple and detailed so we all know that we are all speaking the same terms.

*** Also try this, you are using two USB flash drives to apparently perform the installation, one for the ISO and one to build your boot image. Swap thier roles, meaning take the one with the ISO image and use it as your boot image and take the boot image flash drive and place the ISO on it. What happens now.

One thing of concern is the fact you are trying to use a USB 3.0 Flash drive. Make sure you are not using a blue USB 3.0 port on the computer. This is for testing right now and can discuss the whys if it works.

solarisguy

Guru
Apollo's motherboard does not have USB 3.0.

South Bridge is AMD SB710, I think at this stage BIOS initializes the chipset. I wonder whether freezing during the POST could be associated more with particular chipsets, than with BIOS models...

Apollo

Wizard

Apollo

Wizard
Please forgive they way I ask questions but I have to keep things in very simple steps because I cannot assume you know what I am thinking. Please describe in great detail what you are doing which causes the problem, for example...

1) The system is powered off
2) I insert the USB Flash drive into the rear USB port (not a blue one)
3) I turn on the power and the system does not work and does not even get to the GRUB bootloader

or maybe you are actually shoving in the USB drive right after you have turned on the power, heck that is possible by the way your text is written but I'm assuming you mean the power is actually off before you insert the USB drive. As I said, keep it simple and detailed so we all know that we are all speaking the same terms.

*** Also try this, you are using two USB flash drives to apparently perform the installation, one for the ISO and one to build your boot image. Swap thier roles, meaning take the one with the ISO image and use it as your boot image and take the boot image flash drive and place the ISO on it. What happens now.

One thing of concern is the fact you are trying to use a USB 3.0 Flash drive. Make sure you are not using a blue USB 3.0 port on the computer. This is for testing right now and can discuss the whys if it works.

Tried different cases:

Case 1:
- Computer is dormant: System power is OFF but the PSU still provided the minimal 5V to it.
- USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 used for the test (only one plugged in at any given time). Using the back USB among the other, either one seem to behave the same.
- Turn the system ON using the tip of a pen as it has a metal cone shape, this fits tidily between the 100 mils pitch shrouded header on the motherboard, about 7.5 in away from the center of the CPU fan rotating counter-clockwise at around 2070RPM.
- About 4 seconds later, the display turns on using the onboard VGA output.
- And here it shows same as the posted picture.

Case2:

- I have repeated Case 1 with the same USB key and placed it in every single USB port available.
-Result remains the same.

Case 3:

- I start the computer without the USB key.
- System pass BIOS POST.
- Before it reaches the time where the system select the boot drive (if one is available. In more cases I have tried with disk and without ones).
-I insert (shove in ) the USB in one of the USB port and the system freezes.

Case 4:

- I start the computer without the USB key.
- I enter the BIOS.
- I look at the page that shows the speed of the fan, as it gets updated on a regular basis.
- I insert the USB key.
- The system Freezes. (Unresponsive to keyboard key strokes, the same keyboard connected to the PS2 interface which is colored Purple/Green at the rear of the motherboard. Diagonaly opposed to the Shrouded header mentioned above, and host 2 USB ports on top.

By the way, all the USB ports are black colored.

Case 5: From memory (The one burried deep somewhere in my brain which is located inside my skull):

- Tried Case 1 with a USB 3.0 Toshiba 1.5TB Hard Drive in a black plastic enclosure (I installed first Freenas 9.3 Beta).

Behavior was the same.

Case 6:
Same as case 5, except I used a Toaster, not the one you find in a kitchen to grill bread toast, but one that is used to connect internal hard drives to a system via USB 2.0 interface. I have connected the USB toaster to the system and turned it power ON as it has its own dedicated power supply.
Behavior remains the same. System freezes.

Case 7:
Same as case 6 except this time I have used the e-SATA link from the toaster connected to the e-SATA adapter to SATA.
I am not sure here, but I think this was not working either. Not 100% sure if this was related to the system or simply a flaky connection between the HDD and the toaster.

Case 8:

- System is OFF as in case 1.
- No USB inserted anywhere.
- I insert the USB key that has the GRUB installer.
- I turn the system ON.
- I wait a few seconds for the sytem to boot into GRUB.
- When the display shows the FREENAS 9.3 BETA Console Setup, 4 options are presented: 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- I insert the USB key with the FREENAS 9.3 beta used in case 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- System display a bunch of information, but doesn't freeze.

Mind you, temperature outside my place is pretty much below freezing, just a coincidence I presume.

I hope this is thorough enough for you.

Attachments

• freenas9-3-2.jpg
    freenas9-3-2.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
S

sef

- I enter the BIOS.
- I look at the page that shows the speed of the fan, as it gets updated on a regular basis.
- I insert the USB key.
- The system Freezes. (Unresponsive to keyboard key strokes, the same keyboard connected to the PS2 interface which is colored Purple/Green at the rear of the motherboard. Diagonaly opposed to the Shrouded header mentioned above, and host 2 USB ports on top.

I really have to think BIOS bug. there.

J

jkh

Either the BIOS or the motherboard is simply faulty (has a bad USB controller on it, or some other hardware fault). I would consider replacing it and/or trying another motherboard.

Apollo

Wizard
I doubt the motherboard or USB interfaces are at fault. I can still run 9.2.1.8 on it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I doubt the motherboard or USB interfaces are at fault. I can still run 9.2.1.8 on it.

That doesn't mean something isn't borked with the implementation of USB, bad BIOS code, etc. It just means that whatever problem exists, it's not rearing its ugly head in anything until 9.3.

Apollo

Wizard
That doesn't mean something isn't borked with the implementation of USB, bad BIOS code, etc. It just means that whatever problem exists, it's not rearing its ugly head in anything until 9.3.

I don't disagree with your statement. BIOS could be at fault, unfortunately, there won't be any more update. Too old of a system by today's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.