SOLVED Unable to get 9.3 to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cadet
I initially attempted a 9.2.1.9 to 9.3 GUI upgrade which appeared to be taking several hours. After the reboot the cursor was slowly ticking across the screen drawing periods as it moves from left to right.

T0daL1Y.png

After figuring out nothing was happening, I installed 9.3 fresh from a CD onto the 8gb usb flash drive I use for Freenas. On boot I see this screen:
Qb6NMjq.png

followed by this one after I press enter:
qdJIejy.png

Does anyone have any idea why this will not boot?

Also I don't understand why a image file is no longer available. When I asked in another forum I was told

"Read the release notes from the forum announcement. The separate USB has been removed because the ISO now works as both a CD and USB image."

As far as I can tell you can't boot from the image flashed to a USB flash drive, then install on that same USB drive, correct? You would need a second USB flash drive to install onto. I don't understand how this replaces the image file.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The boot image no longer works because it was a static size environment but in the 9.3 environment it resizes to fill the entire boot drive capacity. That is about all I know but in the long run it will be a good thing.

Submit a bug report and copy in the traceback data.

Glorious1

Guru
This may be unrelated, but I was seeing things similar to the second and third pictures when trying to boot from a USB3 port before USB3 was enabled in FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post your actual hardware specs OP? or segfaultex

TwoDuo91

Cadet

avalon60

Guru

Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cadet
Can you post your actual hardware specs OP? or segfaultex
Sorry for the delay, I wasn't emailed about updates to the thread after the first reply so I assumed no one else responded.

E3C226D2I
i3 4130
16 GB ECC
6x2tb WD Red
elago Mobile Nano II card reader with 8gb class 10 Sandisk MicroSDHC card
(Now using some random 8gb flash drive I had around)

Yesterday I tried installing 9.3 on to a random 8gb flash drive I had and I was able to get FreeNAS to boot, however today the GUI informed me there were updates that could be installed through the settings menu which I did. On restart this is what happened:

WrDqH83.png

0im5ktr.png

Edit: It is not plugged into a USB 3 port and USB 3 is disabled in the BIOS

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
Edit: It is not plugged into a USB 3 port and USB 3 is disabled in the BIOS
Wow, that's exactly the error I was getting with that USB problem that you don't have. I wonder if your "random" USB drive is bad or incompatible? They say new name-brand ones are best.

Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cadet
Wow, that's exactly the error I was getting with that USB problem that you don't have. I wonder if your "random" USB drive is bad or incompatible? They say new name-brand ones are best.

It would appear that is the case. The flash drive I was using was included free with a purchase from Newegg, so it was probably garbage. I installed to the only other flash drive I possessed, an older 8gb PNY and it seems to be working now. I was even able to install the updates from within the settings menu and it is still working.

avalon60

Guru
Have a look at my thread about failed upgrade regarding the different USB drives. I tried 3 different ones before I managed to get 9.2.18 to load.
The one which did work ok for me was a Sandisk Cruzer Facet, and also a Sandisk Cruzer Blade.
Kingston DataTraveler 100G2 did not work. Some make of Toshiba didn't work either, so for me,it comes down to the make of the USB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.