Installed to USB, will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PunkNasty

Cadet
Good evening. I have a 16gb flash drive i installed the latest version 9.3 on. Attempted to boot with an HP dc7900 workstation. Verified USB was set to first boot device. After post i get a black screen with blinking cursor and that's it. I confirmed that USB boot works as i had another flashdrive with Ubuntu on it and the same machine booted just fine to it. Also confirmed the flashdrive i installed FreeNAS on is working as it's brand new and i previously had it running on a Dell Poweredge server box. Trying to run FreeNAS on this HP machine due to the server being too noisy.

Any ideas? I've already reinstalled 9.3 on the flashdrive. Also put a GPU in the box as i read that no GPU (Onboard gfx) can cause issues with the latest build.

Only option i have not performed yet was to burn an image to disc and try installing to the flashdrive this way....(due to not having any burnable media).

gpsguy

Since the flash drive works in a Dell server, then the problem lies with the dc7900. You didn't provide any details about it's configuration (as requested by the forum rules in red at the top of the page). Does the box meet the minimum requirements for FreeNAS? If you haven't read the docs yet, you can download a PDF version of it, from a link in my signature.

IIRC, other users have had problems with the dc7700 (i presume this is a newer version of the latter). Please do a forum search on dc7700 and see what turns up. Perhaps this might help.

tuan_vip

Cadet
I don't see link download guide download boot for USB. Homepage online file ISO for burn to disk

gpsguy

Mike Pugh

Cadet
I have the same machine and was running into the same problem. Could boot the installer from the USB but when I installed FreeNAS to a USB drive, it wouldn't boot or for that matter give me the boot menu. The problem I found for me was with the DC7900's BIOS. My system was on BIOS version 1.08 when the latest version was 1.26. After upgrading the BIOS, I could boot FreeNAS off the installed USB flash drive. Hope that helps.

Good evening. I have a 16gb flash drive i installed the latest version 9.3 on. Attempted to boot with an HP dc7900 workstation. Verified USB was set to first boot device. After post i get a black screen with blinking cursor and that's it. I confirmed that USB boot works as i had another flashdrive with Ubuntu on it and the same machine booted just fine to it. Also confirmed the flashdrive i installed FreeNAS on is working as it's brand new and i previously had it running on a Dell Poweredge server box. Trying to run FreeNAS on this HP machine due to the server being too noisy.

Any ideas? I've already reinstalled 9.3 on the flashdrive. Also put a GPU in the box as i read that no GPU (Onboard gfx) can cause issues with the latest build.

Only option i have not performed yet was to burn an image to disc and try installing to the flashdrive this way....(due to not having any burnable media).

Status
Not open for further replies.