SOLVED CPUID:00100F62 Patch ID:00B7 when booting 9.3 from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Really? I had no idea it was consider that antiquated. They are still putting out new video cards and CPU's. i just bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago with an AMD cpu. it would be bad for the consumer for them to go away as intel would then have a monopoly. don't you think?
I didn't use the word "antiquated" anywhere. What I said was that AMD was so far behind Intel in the server market (which is what a NAS is) that they are, for all intents and purposes, dying and there's no point in betting on a dying horse.

Here, have some citations: http://media.ycharts.com/charts/c99847d62be57b9177c16b6acf4a6270.png
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-16/amd-sales-may-miss-estimates-as-intel-gains-pc-orders.html

I won't be at all surprised if AMD exits the CPU market and decides to focus purely on GPUs going forward, which is fine if you're a gamer but FreeNAS obviously isn't a gaming platform.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The OP should have done a Google search before posting this question, took me about 30 seconds to find the answer. This is purely an informational message that some Gigiabyte motherboards splash up on the screen. There is nothing wrong and absolutely has nothing to do with the capability of the AMD CPU, it's purely a motherboard thing.

Apollo

Wizard
I did a Google search prior to my posting, but didn't find relevant information.
Nevertheless, this doesn't explain the mechanism that cause my system to freeze at BIOS post.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I did a Google search prior to my posting, but didn't find relevant information.
Nevertheless, this doesn't explain the mechanism that cause my system to freeze at BIOS post.

30 years of backward compatibility and associated hacky growth leading to somewhat incompatible implementations of the same thing.

Oko

Contributor
I honestly think it will be easier to simply wait for AMD to finish dying. :) Seriously, at this point, buying AMD hardware is sort of like buying an HD-DVD (or Laserdisc) player. It might be cool simply for reasons of nostalgia, but other formats won and there's really just no point other than that. I haven't even touched an AMD machine in years, iXsystems doesn't sell any AMD hardware (and has no conceivable reason to do so), it's Dead, Jim!
I am very curios by this comment of the iXsystems CTO? Do you honestly believe that AMD is dying? If so than you must believe that Intel also has not future as their 64 bit technology is licensed by AMD (we use to call that MAD during the cold war). If that is the case are we going to see ARM based FreeNAS anytime soon in-spite of the fact that FreeBSD second to DragonFly has the worst support for ARM based devices of any BSD project.

Last edited:
J

jkh

I am very curios by this comment of the iXsystems CTO? Do you honestly believe that AMD is dying? If so than you must believe that Intel also has not future as their 64 bit technology is licensed by AMD.
Of course I do, given that it's completely obvious. Go look at the charts I cited - AMD's revenue is a tiny fraction of Intel's and they have nothing truly compelling to differentiate themselves from the competition. This is likely to be a 2-horse race between Intel and ARM, since ARM is now entering the server market (and let's please not talk about laptops or desktops since this is not the appropriate forum).

I don't even understand your point about licensing. There is nothing about Intel's license that says "if AMD dies, you die" - not even a first year law student would sign a licensing agreement like that, assuming such a clause was even enforceable (which it wouldn't be). If AMD died, Intel would do nothing but cheer and then buy up all of its patents and technologies at fire sale prices from the bankruptcy court. Intel could do that using pocket change.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I answered the title of your post and the first line of your posting. You already figured out that you have a USB compatibility issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.