SOLVED CPUID:00100F62 Patch ID:00B7 when booting 9.3 from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

Wizard
I am trying to install 9.3 Beta on a Gygabite motherboard with AMD CPU and I get the CPUID:00100F62 Patch ID:00B7 error message when booting from USB. This appens right at power up just before memory post.

Motherboard: GA-MA78LM-S2H BIOS F11.
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240.

I thought I fried something on the board or the USB key, but I see a pattern to the behavior.

Step I have taken are as follow:

1: Booting with GRUB 9.3 Beta install from 2GB USB key.
2: Installed Freenas to a 16GB USB key.
3: Reboot, or powering system after install.
4: Booting from 16GB fails before RAM POST with CPUID message.

Performed same operation replacing 16GB USB key with 1.5TB USB 3.0 Toshiba HDD.
As soon as I reboot and start from the Toshiba drive, system fails the same way.

Performed same operation with old SATA drive on USB toaster with external suppply.
As soon as I reboot and start, system fails the same way.

Connected the SATA driver to SATA on motherboard and Freenas 9.3 boots without issues.

If I connect any of the USB loaded Freenas 9.3 device (not the ISO file), my system will freeze.

It seems as if Freenas is not handling the USB enumeration part properly or something causing the system to reach uncorrectable state.

Will try to investigate further.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure of your problem (and you said some things that are contradictory like mentioning it happens before the system POSTs, but then mentioned things that happen after POST), but AMDs are not looking good with FreeNAS 9.3. If you read the 9.3 section of the forum there's already been significant talk that many users may be incapable of using 9.3 on AMD hardware due to compatibility problems that aren't likely to ever be fixed.

There is definitely some shaky ground with AMD and FreeNAS 9.3 being put together, but nobody really knows more than that.

Apollo

Wizard
I used this AMD setup awhile back before I moved to better hardware.
I just put it back together for the 9.3 beta release so I can play with it.

I did read on the AMD issue and this one can be one of them.

What I meant, is that when the USB device, either USB key or HDD's, when they have been configured with Freenas 9.3 beta after going through the grub install will fail to run, causing the system to freeze right before RAM information are displayed.
I do get the CPUID message, which I believe never appeared before, but that could also be something I missed during normal bootup. Anyway, the system always stops working at the POST with those USB devices.
If the USB device was plugged after a while, they the system would freeze then too.
This is consistent across the 3 devices: USB key, HDD powered via system and HDD powered externally.

If I take the USB HDD (the one used on the toaster) that was programed with Freenas 9.3 beta and plug it into a SATA port, then everything is fine.

My point is that for some reason USB seems to be the root cause of the problem. I don't know if it is AMD specific.
What troubles me is that the system crashes before any OS have started, which makes m believe it happens during enumeration. Hardware failure is a probability but is not consistent as I can run 9.3 from SATA.
The same USB devices will not freeze the system if 9.3 is removed from those devices.

J

jkh

This is not likely to be addressed any time soon, if ever. We simply don't have any AMD machines to test with and the FreeBSD discussion lists are full of issues concerning AMD interoperability, which of course FreeNAS has inherited.

Apollo

Wizard
I am just curious whether other members having issue with their AMD system can resolve their issue by using boot device on the SATA interface.

I am having this exact same issue on my AMD based system that i have had no other issues with while running 9.2.1.8 or earlier on.

I have done a fair bit of testing though i do not have a spare HDD to try on sata port (or a spare sata port).

I started with 9.2.1.8 did a GUI update, had some issues with jails and other stuff. Cleaned all jails out (sucks to have to rebuild them).
Successfully used the GUI update to 9.3 until reboot. At which point i got the exact same experience as Apollo.
My system hangs prior to posting RAM with the USB device plugged in. This is the same USB (Toshiba 8GB) that i had 9.2.1.8 running on without issues of booting the system.
To be sure it was not the USB device i used a usb HDD ASTONE 5GB, install 9.3 using instructions for 9.3 windows iso wright to usb.
Tried booting my box got immediate freeze.
Cleaned the same usb hdd and installed 9.2.1.8...... what do you know system boots with the same usb device that it would not previously.

From here i took my original USB stick an plugged it into a intel PC i have in the garage and the update process finished without issue and boots fine.
Of course now my i don't have access to my config prior to 9.3 as i stupidly didn't back it up (my fault).

So my interpretation of this is something that 9.3 update/install is doing for the boot sector of the boot usb device is causing the system to not like it.
Personally i am going to take a guess it is the ZFS boot partition + AMD based systems.

Apollo

Wizard
What really troubles me is the fact that the OS is not given the choice of booting yet, as the system is still doing, or should I say should proceed to the end of the BIOS sequence before handling the boot process.
I believe something in the enumeration of the USB device is whats causing the BIOS to fail.

What ever it is. It only happens after installing 9.3.

I decided to try something else.

Running 9.2.1.8 on a USB drive, everything is running sweet on my AMD system.
I added an additional USB drive as ZFS, then rebooted the system.
I got this exact same issue.
I removed the drive and the system booted just fine.
I then cleaned the drive and added as UFS, system reboots fine.

So don't think it has anything to do with FreeNAS directly, rather i think it is the combination of USB drive as ZFS + AMD system.

nvader

Explorer
I just tried to upgrade to 9.3 tonight and ran into this same issue. i was stupid and didn't do a backup. can i revert and keep my settings?

Apollo

Wizard
Just install the version of Freenas you had before and auto import the pool. You will have to set the config again, but your data should be there unless something went wrong or you had your pool encrypted.

nvader

Explorer
This is not likely to be addressed any time soon, if ever. We simply don't have any AMD machines to test with and the FreeBSD discussion lists are full of issues concerning AMD interoperability, which of course FreeNAS has inherited.

Can someone send you an AMD machine to test on? Seems kind of harsh to just tell AMD folks (whom are numerous) tough luck.

nvader

Explorer
Here is what i did to "get back" to my previous status.
1) install 9.2.1.8 on a NEW usb drive
2) use auto import to import my previous volumes (everything was still there yay!!!)
3) insert the OLD usb drive that i installed 9.3 on
4) run auto import and import the old usb key
5) turn on FTP with Root access
6) using ftp go in and get the /mnt/freenas-boot/ROOT/default/data/freenas-v1.db
7) use the GUI to upload your .db file
reboot and you should be back to the way things were.

This is for anyone who didn't backup.

Interesting note. sometime a while back, i stopped seeing my drive serial numbers in the gui.
when i did a fresh install of the 9.2.1.8 they showed back up. after I uploaded my .db file and rebooted they were gone again.
not sure if that will help the devs any. but may pin-point where the problem is.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can someone send you an AMD machine to test on? Seems kind of harsh to just tell AMD folks (whom are numerous) tough luck.

You realize that many of the problems can't be fixed just by having access to the hardware. It required AMD support, which AMD doesn't provide in large abundance on FreeBSD. So if you are upset about AMD's support on FreeBSD, you should call AMD and talk to them about it.

J

jkh

I honestly think it will be easier to simply wait for AMD to finish dying. :) Seriously, at this point, buying AMD hardware is sort of like buying an HD-DVD (or Laserdisc) player. It might be cool simply for reasons of nostalgia, but other formats won and there's really just no point other than that. I haven't even touched an AMD machine in years, iXsystems doesn't sell any AMD hardware (and has no conceivable reason to do so), it's Dead, Jim!

DJ9

Contributor
And I thought DESQview was still a thing. Ahh, nostalgia. ;)

AMD hasn't been a good thing from my view point from at least 4 years back, nothing but issues. (maybe I was just cursed?)
Best bet, is just to use stuff that works, period.

nvader

Explorer
You realize that many of the problems can't be fixed just by having access to the hardware. It required AMD support, which AMD doesn't provide in large abundance on FreeBSD. So if you are upset about AMD's support on FreeBSD, you should call AMD and talk to them about it.

I actually have no idea what the problem is. But the comments made by JHK were that the problems couldn't be worked on because they didn't have AMD machines. so based on that it seems logical to assume, if they did have an AMD machine they could test/fix those problems.
Also I'm not upset...

nvader

Explorer
I honestly think it will be easier to simply wait for AMD to finish dying. :) Seriously, at this point, buying AMD hardware is sort of like buying an HD-DVD (or Laserdisc) player. It might be cool simply for reasons of nostalgia, but other formats won and there's really just no point other than that. I haven't even touched an AMD machine in years, iXsystems doesn't sell any AMD hardware (and has no conceivable reason to do so), it's Dead, Jim!

Really? I had no idea it was consider that antiquated. They are still putting out new video cards and CPU's. i just bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago with an AMD cpu. it would be bad for the consumer for them to go away as intel would then have a monopoly. don't you think?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
They aren't antiquated. AMD just doesn't provide code support for FreeBSD like they used to. Intel on the other hand provides excellent support, so Intel stuff "just works".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Also I'm not upset...

I didn't say you were upset. I said "if".

Regardless, you're arguing semantics. You are clearly "less than satisfied" with the situation if you are offering to provide AMD hardware. iXsystems is fully capable of buying any AMD hardware they would need. But, as I said above, the problem isn't that they don't have hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.