Stability problems with freenas 9.3 on Microserver 7044H-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought a dual Xeon CPU with 16gb internal memory to use as my home server.

I had Freenas 9.2x installed on it and it worked fine. Performance was good and stability was also good. As soon as I saw Freenas 9.3 Beta was out, I downloaded it and upgraded the server. So far, so good. After about 8 days, it suddenly started rebooting every 25 minutes. Because I couldn't find any cause for it, hardware wise, I did a verification (software) and that told me there where corrupted files. I installed the latest Freenas 9.2 edition on another USB stick (16gb), but the rebooting wasn't resolved.

Finally I did a fresh 9.3 Beta install on a new 16gb Cruzer USB stick and everything seemed to be ok. But now, 3 days later, the rebooting every 20-25 minutes returned, although I didn't change anything to the configuration (software or hardware).

I'm kind of a Noob and can't find log files which will tell me more about the problem.

How can I (start to) resolve this issue, because it's very anoying. I've already done the "verify install", but that tells me that everything is ok.

Kind regards,

Michel

I did the memtest86+ tests. With ecc "on" it did the first 7 tests without any problems (no errors detected). The 8th test didn't finish (got stuck at 72%).

At the moment I'm not able to redo test 8 and do test 9 (due to busy schedule). I'll try these to tests as soon as possible and update my info in this forum.

At the moment I restarted the server with 16gb again. It has been running with 12gb for the last 3 days without any problems.

But there's something else that might cause my problem. The modem of my internetprovider (Ziggo) is performing badly (no wireless lan, no wired lan when trying to login multiple times a day). I changed my network setup a couple of weeks ago, because I wanted to reduce the number of routers in my (home) network. I was using 5 of them. I did pull some new cables and reduced the number of routers to 3. My Freenas server is connected directly to the Iprovider's modem and the other 2 routers are also connected to the same modem (I needed extra lan connections for the kids' computers and Playstation).

The first thing I'm gonna do is to call my Iprovider to see if they can see problems with the modem and if so, ask them to replace it.

I'm not quit sure though if this could cause the reboot problems of my Freenas server.

Status
Not open for further replies.