9.3 keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skar78

Dabbler
Hi,

I upgraded to 9.3 on Friday and noticed today that the system keeps rebooting.

There is no error message, screen goes simply off, it shows no DVI signal and a single beep of my Asus P9D-I marks a warm reboot.

The GNU Boot Menue only shows one entry, dated on the day i upgraded to 9.3.

It usually takes multiple reboots until it gets to the Console Setup menue and happily announcing that the Web GUI would be available on the usualy IP.

However it will not run even for 5 minutes without rebooting again without any warning or notification.

Same story after a cold re-start. If I log into the web gui i have no alerts or notifications.

I am kind of lost.

FreeNAS is installed on an internal SATA SSD and not via USB stick.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Probably hardware failure off some kind. You could start by replacing your usb stick and if that didn't work if look at the PSU as being the culprit.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hi,

I upgraded to 9.3 on Friday and noticed today that the system keeps rebooting.

There is no error message, screen goes simply off, it shows no DVI signal and a single beep of my Asus P9D-I marks a warm reboot.

The GNU Boot Menue only shows one entry, dated on the day i upgraded to 9.3.

It usually takes multiple reboots until it gets to the Console Setup menue and happily announcing that the Web GUI would be available on the usualy IP.

However it will not run even for 5 minutes without rebooting again without any warning or notification.

Same story after a cold re-start. If I log into the web gui i have no alerts or notifications.

I am kind of lost.

FreeNAS is installed on an internal SATA SSD and not via USB stick.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
It would be best at this point to post your hardware and current FreeNAS stable version.
Your issue could be any one of several issues and the requested information will be
required to help you going forward.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If not the PSU (but likely it is) maybe some bad RAM?

You use a MB with IPMI integrated?

Skar78

Dabbler
I appreciate the pointers:

MB is a Asus P9D-I, thats a C222/C24 board, with C2 stepping.
It has IPMI, but i am not familiar with IPMI,
16 GB ECC RAM, if I recall correctly Kingston from the compatibility list of the mb.
Case is a Silverstone DS380 with a Silverstone SFX PSU.
CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130T CPU @ 2.90GHz

HDDs: 1x Intel SSD (used just for Freenas) and 3x WD Red 1TB.

I am currently trying: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503071634 and it "verfied correctly".

I dont have another SFX PSU arround to test this and will check if we have one at work.

The system was running stable since march last year - so more ore less one year.

Bidule0hm

"It has IPMI, but i am not familiar with IPMI" the thing is with IPMI it's very easy to see if it's the RAM who do this because if it is, it'll be in the IMPI log. I don't know how IPMI works on this board so I'll let someone who knows explain how to see the IPMI log (if it's simple enough; well, it should be...) ;)

Since you have a second PSU you can test this first (plus it's more likely a PSU problem than a RAM problem) :)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Did you just install the SSD when upgrading to 9.3,
or has it been in there since day one?
What model is the Intel SSD?

Skar78

Dabbler
Did you just install the SSD when upgrading to 9.3,
or has it been in there since day one?
What model is the Intel SSD?

No, i did not do any changes to the system besides updating and applying again the backuped configuration.
The SSD is the same that successfully run 9.2 - I believe this to be a 310 or 320 - i actually will need to open to check it as i dont remember clearly.

Found additional specs:
PSU was SFX Silverstone ST30SF 300W.
RAM 16GB DDR3 1600 with 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 (ECC)

I managed to do a web GUI update to latest stable 9.3. and have now 2 selection in GNU Boot menu, however both keep rebooting.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You guys don't think this is a watchdog thing, do you?

Skar78

Dabbler
So I had time to check further. As memtest+ can run for hours freenas keeps crashing. I manually updated to a newer 9.3 release, however same result. After around 4-5 min it just reboots.

In between I also found out tat i had originally 9.2.1.5 running and i will try to downgrade tomorrow.

Skar78

Dabbler
So after 67h of memtest kinda convinced me its not the power supply I downgraded via USB to 9.2.1.5 again.

I applied my old config and hope its stable til the morning - so i can entirely blame v9.3 :)

Skar78

Dabbler
So I reverted back to 9.2.1.5 again, reloaded config and runs smooth as butter.

So i think I can exclude hardware. I might need a bios update for 9.3 compatibility but i think I just keep 9.2.

ElchQ

Dabbler
Is that topic already solved?

If not: i had the same issue.. my board was running for 2 years without any issue. Than I opened the chassis and used compressed air to clean.. BAWOOOMMM board kept on crashing! After disasambling all parts, I found that the BIOS chip was close to fall out of its socket :( I mounted the board vertikal and think that the socket is of poor quality... After pressing it back to its socket and putting a cable strap around the BIOS Chip and the socket its working! Stable as expected... The BIOS chip can be found on the top right corner of the picture below

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-09 um 11.10.29.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-09 um 11.10.29.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 393

rogerh

Guru
Is that topic already solved?

If not: i had the same issue.. my board was running for 2 years without any issue. Than I opened the chassis and used compressed air to clean.. BAWOOOMMM board kept on crashing! After disasambling all parts, I found that the BIOS chip was close to fall out of its socket :( I mounted the board vertikal and think that the socket is of poor quality... After pressing it back to its socket and putting a cable strap around the BIOS Chip and the socket its working! Stable as expected... The BIOS chip can be found on the top right corner of the picture below
This was an aerosol can, or 1000kPa workshop airline? It does show how even the solidest-looking plug and socket connection can work loose over time. I routinely check leads when cleaning a computer, but I doubt I would have thought of checking the BIOS chip was engaged properly! Thanks for drawing our attention to this problem.

ElchQ

Dabbler
That was just the "poor" aerosol can... so not really HIGH pressure.. I noticed that even after cleaning, just by getting warm and carring the case from my desk to the rack was enough to loose the chip again.. Thats why I disasambled everything again and than added a cable strap.. That was than the 4th time I had all parts on the table :)

rogerh

Guru
That was just the "poor" aerosol can... so not really HIGH pressure.. I noticed that even after cleaning, just by getting warm and carring the case from my desk to the rack was enough to loose the chip again.. Thats why I disasambled everything again and than added a cable strap.. That was than the 4th time I had all parts on the table :)
Those four-sided sockets are usually very hard to get the chips out of. It may be defective in some way, though it is probably a bit late to send it back. I suppose it could be the chip that is out of spec.

ElchQ

Dabbler
Unfortunately the Asus P9D-I board does not have four-sided sockets, but the old DIL socket... building my own circuits, I tend to add some epoxy-clue after mounting the DIL chip... Asus should have done the same, or use better sockets :(

Bidule0hm

It's the crappy type or the turned pin type?

Status
Not open for further replies.