9.3 not responding - Jails taking DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neek

Dabbler
Hi,

I've observed a problem with 9.3 which may be related to the couple of other threads about 9.3 not responding:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/once-every-few-weeks-freenas-stops-responding.25341

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-web-gui-display-unresponsive-console.26008/

I have two active physical NICs in my server. One is mapped to 192.168.1.xx, and the other to 192.168.0.xx. On the .1.xx subnet, I only run iSCSI traffic between my VM hosts and the FreeNAS box. On the .0.xx subnet I run all CIFS/NFS/AFP traffic, plus the FreeNAS admin GUI, plus two plugins (CrashPlan and ownCloud). For those plugins, I have allocated additional aliased IPs in the .0.xx network.

It seems that every so often, just after logging in to the GUI, my FreeNAS 9.3 box is somehow confusing the IPs being used, or the DNS assigned to them. I am not using VIMAGE, so I do not have any epair devices on the box.. only em0, em1, the loopback driver, etc. I have no IPv6 configured.

The exact symptom I see is that services can no longer connect to my machine by its DNS name for the primary 192.168.0.xx address. For example, when I connect through my browser to the admin GUI, I get 403 errors from nginx.

Do FreeNAS jails ever attempt to update the DNS server (not running on the FreeNAS box)? From my client (a Mac), I find the DNS pointing at either one of the aliases to my primary .0.xx address, or to the .1.xx address. I flush DNS caches, and then dig gives me the right result, but when I attempt to ssh / ping / etc., they all end up going again to the wrong address.

I have tried rebooting my Mac, my router, and the FreeNAS box. Only a reboot of the FreeNAS box fixes the issue. I had not seen this in earlier builds of FreeNAS, but I only recently added the .1.xx interface.

These jails were originally configured on FreeNAS 9.1 and 9.2. It looks like the jail templates have been updated for 9.3. I'm not really sure what that means, as far as how the plugins might behave.

Any suggestions on how to debug this are very welcome!

thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.