Will it TrueNAS (Scale)? Upgraded Huawei RH2288Hv.3 - pondering how to get things working

SecCon

Contributor
I was about to post in the Will it FreeNAS sub forum but noticed there are no recent posts there so I figure best to post here.

1674548590896.png

Recently I got myself a Huawei server and have since upgraded it. The current hardware specs are based on https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/intelligent-servers/RH2288H V3-pid-9901881 but with 12 SATA LFF drives in the front. 2 SFF SAS SSD in the back for OS.

1674548843863.png

• Motherboard is the BC11HGSA0 based on Intel C610 /X99
  • CPU are 2 Intel Xeon E5-2683 v4
  • RAM is 64GB ECC Kingston Server Memory: KSM26RD8/16HDI x 4. Ample slots to upgrade.
  • HDD RAID BC61ESMQ LSI SAS 3108 on a Mezzanine card.
  • NIC is Huawei SM231 based upon Intel 82599
  • HDD's are currently split up in a 4 x 6TB 16TB RAID and additional drives in another 2 RAIDS for Misc. SMB share in Windows environment.
    • RAID's will be disbanded and replaced with ZFS Storage Pools
    • SMB share with some kind of backup (rsync?) to a NAS is a must but should not be any issues, aside from me not having done that before. Expect questions.
Will it TrueNAS, Core ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Will it TrueNAS, Core ?
Generally looks like a reasonable fit.

Intel NIC, LSI HBA, ECC RAM, Xeon CPU... all good.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
the disk controller--I don't think that one can act as a true HBA.
Good point, I was reading 3008, not 3108. Looks like the MegaRAID version... no bueno.

Should be possible to add a proper one via PCIe though

SecCon

Contributor
Thanks guys...

Indeed it is the Megaraid version. I always seem to stumble in to those. :rolleyes:

HBA... I forgot what that was, something about the direct IO access or... ?

Suggestions? Due to the cabling it might be easier with another Mezzanine card.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
HBA... I forgot what that was, something about the direct IO access or... ?
This one covers it: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/

Suggestions? Due to the cabling it might be easier with another Mezzanine card.
It seems from the video on replacing the RAID card that the backplane allows for connection via Mini-SAS connectors... it should just be a case of connecting the 2 Mini-SAS connectors from any HBA with those same connectors instead of the RAID card's.

Although I note that the position of the onboard RAID card may be quite different from the location of the PCIe slots, so the included cable may be far too short to reach it, hence requiring some annoying replacement/re-routing of a new pair of cables.

c77dk

Patron
The 3108 has a JBOD mode, which _seems_ to do things right (but haven't been tested as much as proper HBAs, so there might be gremlins hiding). When the possibility for a proper HBA exists, then that's the right way to go (to get the more "battle proven" stability).

SecCon

Contributor
Although I note that the position of the onboard RAID card may be quite different from the location of the PCIe slots, so the included cable may be far too short to reach it, hence requiring some annoying replacement/re-routing of a new pair of cables.
Yeah, I think that may be the case. The wiring from the backplane in to that is complex, at least to me. Having to replace short cables for long cables might become an adventure in itself.

@c77dk I am ok with getting another proper card for a reasonable amount of cash instead of experimenting.

SecCon

Contributor
Ok, I checked. Cable length seems to be ok for a PCIE card in the rear, as opposed to a Mezzanine card in the midst.

So I would be looking for a dual port HBA controller card than can handle up to 14 drives. I am assuming the descriptions saying 8 channels per port would allow for a total of 16 drives with two ports?

Like this:

71LMLRD8gSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That card is a Broadcom SAS 3008, this link https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Controller-Broadcoms-compatible-9300-8I/dp/B07VV91L61

Can you suggest any alternatives that may be a bit cheaper...
Maybe some like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1857440902...KliDglnwcY8kl/yhOZ9wkcQXY=|tkp:Bk9SR9islMC8YQ

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
For sure you can find many IBM or other third party cards carrying that LSI chip at cheaper prices, particularly 2nd hand online. (usually around €/$60)

The way those can sometimes work is 4 drives per connector (particularly when using breakout to SATA cables), but that isn't a limit of the connector or the chip (which can handle hundreds of drives).

It's up to the backplane and how it's set up.

It could be that it will allow only the 4 drives per cable (I guess in that case, getting to the 12 disks using 8 from the RAID card and 4 more from the onboard SATA (also using Mini SAS from the picture).

Without some experience with that backplane, it's hard to say how it's hooked up... maybe those 2 connections will cover all the disks.

SecCon

Contributor
@sretalla as it is hooked up now with the 3108, all 12 drives are connected via those two cables so that is all in place.

The internal cabling instructions are extensive, but perhaps normal for this type of machine
1674633161350.png

en-us_image_0218796747.png

I made a PDF from the latest official docs that cover this, so have a peek if you like :)

IBM HBA Card... would it be too much to ask for an example? A link?
Something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1323332208...SqAa+LZXbHTmYCf85s7D8InA==|tkp:Bk9SR4yi-P68YQ

Attachments

• InternalCablingfor12.pdf
    322 KB · Views: 112

SecCon

Contributor
The 3108 has a JBOD mode, which _seems_ to do things right (but haven't been tested as much as proper HBAs, so there might be gremlins hiding). When the possibility for a proper HBA exists, then that's the right way to go (to get the more "battle proven" stability).
What if i just did not configure any RAID? Just leave it unconfigured? How would I see if that works or not in TrueNAS?

sretalla