Will it TrueNAS - Chenbro RM41416

gggr

Cadet
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my 4 bay HP microserver to something with a lot more storage. I'm located in Australia so stock levels not always the best. The following system has come up on marketplace

Chenbro RM41416 - Tech data
Asus Z8PE-D12X - Asus tech Data
2 x Xeon X5680 CPUs - Intel tech data
12GB DDR3 ECC RAM
4 port SAS raid controller with 4 x mini SAS to SATA cables

I am new to trueNAS and a bit of a newbie generally with servers / storage.

Based on my reading here I will probably just run TrueNAS core, but may try out proxmox with a TrueNAS VM. I know there are some complications there (e.g. pass through the HDDs to TrueNAS) but will worry about that down the line. If I can't get it to work I will be okay with running TrueNAS on its own.

Either way I was planning spin up a pool with 8x10tb HDDs in Z1 as the main storage pool, plus a handful of smaller pools utilising HDDs I have laying around unused. Understand that Z2 or Z3 may be recommended at these sizes but I am okay with the risk

Looking at the 2nd hand equipment on offer, I am aware that:
  • All equipment is a bit old so is a few generations behind, e.g. DDR3 RAM. Fans may be noisy but look to be standard 80mm so could possibly swap for something quieter.
  • I should get more RAM. I would look at getting some ECC DDR3 also 2nd hand so exact amount will depend on stock but ideally around 32GB total?
  • Depending on the actual brand / make of the RAID controller, it may not work with TrueNAS. I am okay with replacing it with a new HBA(s) as needed. I am assuming I will be able to just plug a new HBA into one of the PCI slots.
  • Should get an SSD to use as a boot drive.
Are there any other dealbreakers or big issues I should be aware of before trying it out? A 16-bay case seems like a rare-ish find in this market so I am kind of keen to jump in.

gggr

Cadet
Forgot to add, the main pool will be used to serve files to a separate NUC running kodi / libreelec. So shouldn't be any transcoding / plex required.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
4 port SAS raid controller with 4 x mini SAS to SATA cables
Careful...

You're nearly there, but you want an HBA, not RAID card with the same ports.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
ideally around 32GB total?
Yes, that's probably reasonable for your use case, leaving some headroom for ARC to do its work.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
2 x Xeon X5680 CPUs - Intel tech data
Those CPUs are 13 years old, consume a lot of power (2*130 W as per your link) and create the corresponding amount of heat. Unless you get electricity for free, I would advise against them.
12GB DDR3 ECC RAM
That is below the official minimum and certainly extremely low for the amount of storage you want to attach.
Based on my reading here I will probably just run TrueNAS core, but may try out proxmox with a TrueNAS VM.
That is a risk as well
I know there are some complications there (e.g. pass through the HDDs to TrueNAS) but will worry about that down the line. If I can't get it to work I will be okay with running TrueNAS on its own.
No, you don't pass through HDDs but their controller in its entirety.
Either way I was planning spin up a pool with 8x10tb HDDs in Z1 as the main storage pool, plus a handful of smaller pools utilising HDDs I have laying around unused. Understand that Z2 or Z3 may be recommended at these sizes but I am okay with the risk
Quite frankly, are you actually aware what the risk is?

Are there any other dealbreakers or big issues I should be aware of before trying it out?
There are several issues with this setup as described above. It is applaudable that you are going for server gear. But in this configuration it does not make sense from where I stand.

gggr

Cadet
Thanks for the responses all, I think I mostly anticipated the issues with the 2nd hand gear!

It may all be for naught as the seller hasn't responded to me yet, but I hope you don't mind if I follow up on some of the comments as a learning experience.

You're nearly there, but you want an HBA, not RAID card with the same ports.
Agreed, that is just what the seller has installed. I will replace.

Those CPUs are 13 years old, consume a lot of power (2*130 W as per your link) and create the corresponding amount of heat. Unless you get electricity for free, I would advise against them.
Good point. For my use case I could probably get away with removing 1 CPU and just running with 1 off?
Looking at the mobo tech data it has support for the Xeon L5600/L5500 Series which should be lower power usage - could possibly source one of these.
I get your point though, it is a few hoops to jump through.

No, you don't pass through HDDs but their controller in its entirety.
Gotcha. I was aware there was some additional step but evidently didn't have the details correct.

Quite frankly, are you actually aware what the risk is?
Probably not entirely!
My understanding is I can lose 1 HDD without data loss, but if 2 fail then everything is lost. And the odds of a 2nd failing shortly after the first (whether due to the extra stress from resilvering or murphy's law) before it rebuilds is high. In my instance, nothing in this pool would be irreplaceable, and the pool would exist as a secondary copy with the original living on a separate machine. So losing 2+ HDDs would be an inconvenience but not world shattering for me?

There are several issues with this setup as described above. It is applaudable that you are going for server gear. But in this configuration it does not make sense from where I stand.
Unfortunately there is not a huge amount of stock suitable that I can find here.
If I go for 2nd hand gear it is most likely going to be 5-15 yrs old. It is mostly poweredge rx10, some rx20 and the occasional rx30 or rx40 (or similar vintage proliant) - which typically don't have the required number of 3.5" HDD bays.
I could look at going a ~2015 server and add a SAN or similar HDD only enclosure but I assume that would end using more power overall plus introduce even more headaches getting it to run?

sretalla