What is the best New CPU for Home Office and Fast Number Crunching

Davvo

MVP
It's good to have an alternative in case your dedicated graphic has issues.
It's a pity about the G series though, I really kiked It.

Arwen

MVP
@Davvo - AMD still plans to make Ryzen APUs / xG processors with good, high performance graphics.

Perhaps my wording was a bit odd, so I have updated that prior post too.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd rather build a system with a dedicated graphics card than use a CPU with built in graphics if I needed gaming type graphics speed. I think that is true for most people. If this Ryzen 5600G can support my RC Airplane Flight Simulator, I will be a happy camper.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd rather build a system with a dedicated graphics card than use a CPU with built in graphics if I needed gaming type graphics speed. I think that is true for most people. If this Ryzen 5600G can support my RC Airplane Flight Simulator, I will be a happy camper.

If the program is "RealFlight RC Flight Sim 9" then your 5600G should make short work of it based on the system requirements:

Optimal System:
For best graphical performance

Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
2 GB RAM
3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I have the new ASRock DeskMini with the AMD 5600G CPU. It thankfully came with BIOS version 1.70. I ran MemTest86+ all last night and ran a CPU Stress Test for about 20 minutes. Nothing fancy, just wanted to make sure there were not hidden gremlins.

WOW! This thing is small. I've installed all the parts I previously stated I would install and I installed a Samsung 860 1TB SSD for data (I wasn't using it). I have not installed the WiFi M.2 module. I'm looking at a better one that will take advantage of my 6GHz Router (1200 mbps) and then it will be faster than my wired configuration, in theory. I will not stop using my hard line, at least it's reliable.

I was able to install and Activate Windows 11 Pro using my original Windows 7 Pro OEM Key. That key keeps working, good investment 12 years ago.

What problems did I encounter?
-- The M.2 screws would not go in easily and of course I read about this. Turns out that ASRock puts a small clear piece of plastic over the post. I had to use a tiny screwdriver to poke a hole in the plastic so the screw would go in. Of course there was a little bit of plastic in the threads after that but it's unavoidable unless you completely remove this plastic.
-- Removing the AMD Fan Shroud was difficult. There are a few videos on the internet and wouldn't you know, I found three different fan shroud types, none were mine. I figured it out eventually. What a PITA.
-- The CPU fan does not clear the case tabs. I may need to place four small notches (about 1/8" deep) in the fan to allow the tabs to pass by. It's a pretty minor modification but before I do it, I need to see what else I might be able to do.

So the upgrades I plan to make are:
-- Add Two USB 2.0 Ports (not sure if I will buy the one designed for the case or make one myself. I'd prefer them to be in the back of the case.)
-- Add a Reset Push Button (This will be tricky because I want it to look like it was designed with the case, recessed, and easy enough to get to.)
-- Add Internal Speaker (I have several of the tiny speakers meant for the BIOS Beep, and that is what I want, not sure it can be done but I haven't done much researching yet.)
-- Possibly add a different fan grill which will require case modification. Not very difficult but first I need to evaluate the current airflow, which I know is currently about 30-40% restricted. I will need to compare CPU temps outside the case and inside the case to see if I need to do this modification.

Here is a quick photo.

Thanks to @Arwen for the recommendation, overall it's seems nice but I've only just started.

20221124_122109.jpg

Arwen

MVP
Oh, I thought you were getting the slightly larger DeskMeet X300 not a DeskMini X300. (I blame ASRock for re-using model numbers for different family of products.) The DeskMeet has 2 PCIe slots, and built in power supply. But, I am happy with my DeskMini A300W, (the previous generation to the DeskMini X300W).

Seems you did your research, so you should not have any surprises.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Oh, I thought you were getting the slightly larger DeskMeet X300 not a DeskMini X300.
Damn, I guess I didn't pick up on that, thought it was a typo since you were talking about the DeskMini as well. I just looked at the DeskMeet, that looks like it would have been a better option for me, but the deal is done and I will survive, I just need to buy a few more USB ports to be happy. Having the PCIe slots would have been a nice touch but so far the DeskMini is working out fine. The hard part for me is loading up all the main software I use. Windows 11 wasn't too bad but it took some time get get it basically configured and then I imaged the drive so I could restore it if needed. Now I need to install MS Office 2016, EOL is Oct 2025 so I have some time left on it. The main reason I use MS Office is Outlook. I use it at work and I'm very accustom to it. Eventually, if I do not have another MS Office product by then, I will have to switch to a different program. Once I have MS Office installed, Adobe Acrobat Pro v9 (another paid software that works for what I need), Acronis 2018, then another image. So taking the day slow here it will be an all day affair.

And I need to look for the Black Friday Deals that I would like.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So the project is complete. I had to send back my first computer because there was something definitely wrong with it. The front USB Type-A port was intermittently connecting and the SATA interfaces were terribly slow at writing speeds, like .4MB/sec. The new one eventually came in the mail and I just finished putting it together and doing some basic testing. It has passed MemTest86+ and MemTest86 for a complete pass each (took over a day) and did about 1 hour of CPU Burn-in testing. I didn't want to over do it with this tiny board and I will never put that kind of strain in this computer again, well doubtful.

So I have the Ryzen 5600G (with the stock cooler and a slight modification so it would fit inside the case), 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 1TB NVMe (main OS drive), Samsung 860 1TB SATA SSD (data drive mainly for VM's), added the extra two USB ports, and I bought a newer Wi-Fi card in favor of the 6+ WiFi router I have, even though I plan to use Ethernet 99% of the time.

I've installed Windows 11 Pro, used my Windows 7 Pro key to make the installation. I have not connected both computer screens to the thing yet, that is coming.

So far I'm impressed and it draws 7-15 watts when idle, ~25 watts playing an HD video full screen off of YouTube, and up to 101 watts peak during the CPU torture test. So this is a low power beast! This will save me tens of dollars a year :wink:

And if anyone only needs a four drive NVMe/SATA NAS that is great on power, well this would be it, with the exception of no ECC RAM. But people cutting corners wouldn't mind and would cross their fingers ZFS would save their data.

I can't wait to load it up with my normal applications and repurpose my old desktop machine. Now I need to think who will get my old machine once it's sanitized. Maybe the local library or grade school could use it. Darn, I'll have two more 1TB SSD's to install into my NAS, well likely for a datastore for ESXi. I can replace a spinning rust drive.

Time to log off and take care of family life.