I want to build a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You know, I'm itching to build myself a new computer now. All this because I want to upgrade my FreeNAS box. The new computer would be my replacement for my main computer and my main computer would become my FreeNAS box.

My current computer consists of a i7-950 CPU, 24GB RAM, and items I'd retain for my new computer are several SSD's, Fanless Video card, Super sweet power supply, the case maybe. I'm thinking the NAS should get an appropriate case where the drives are easily replaceable and vibration isolated, not my rubber grommets I put in myself, although to do work nice, they are just ugly.

The new computer would need to have another i7 Ivy Bridge CPU, 32 GB RAM, MB with a few USB 3 ports, six SATA 6Gb ports. And one more WD Red 2TB drive (to replace my last Samsung Drive when it fails). Total cost:~$800.00

Or I guess I could just buy 16GB RAM for my current FreeNAS box and replace the 8GB installed in it. It sure is cheaper but not as much fun.

Yes, this is very off topic, glad we have a place to rant about anything.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And I can tell you that none of that stuff is very "good". You should just mail it to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you. I won't even charge you for my services!

joeschmuck

Old Man
What is your address, I'll FedEx it overnight to you so you can properly dispose of it for me.

You know that after all that blabbing I did about ESXi that I really want to try it out. I have hard drives to test with, just need a good fast, lots of RAM computer to move forward. I'm sure that my company won't let me borrow one of the many "obsolete to them" servers. There old systems are about 3 years of age, not used much, 48GB RAM, dual Xeon CPUs, very nice, DVD drive, 4 drive bays. I think I have about 4 laying around that are not the final product to be used on submarines so they just sit around collecting dust until they DRMO them.

I guess my goal right now it to only buy the RAM for the FreeNAS box, it just seems like a waste of money since I have six 4GB sticks in my main computer and if I upgrade the MB then I'm sure to upgrade the RAM. Yes, I'm slowly talking myself into buying a new MB which means a new CPU and RAM to support it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You know that after all that blabbing I did about ESXi that I really want to try it out. I have hard drives to test with, just need a good fast, lots of RAM computer to move forward. I'm sure that my company won't let me borrow one of the many "obsolete to them" servers. There old systems are about 3 years of age, not used much, 48GB RAM, dual Xeon CPUs, very nice, DVD drive, 4 drive bays. I think I have about 4 laying around that are not the final product to be used on submarines so they just sit around collecting dust until they DRMO them.

Aww :( How sad for those machines. DRMO is such a waste. When I did that stuff when I was in the Navy it was such a waste. DRMO asks far too much money for the value of the hardware, then throws it away when it doesn't sell. My command had 7 year old machines as their "standard" desktop and it was always upsetting to wait 10 minutes to bootup the machines but then see people DRMO machines that were less than 2 years old knowing we weren't gettin an upgrade. Our IT department head refused to spend money to upgrade machines because he was getting awards for "saving the Navy money" every year.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Aww :( How sad for those machines. DRMO is such a waste. When I did that stuff when I was in the Navy it was such a waste. DRMO asks far too much money for the value of the hardware, then throws it away when it doesn't sell. My command had 7 year old machines as their "standard" desktop and it was always upsetting to wait 10 minutes to bootup the machines but then see people DRMO machines that were less than 2 years old knowing we weren't gettin an upgrade. Our IT department head refused to spend money to upgrade machines because he was getting awards for "saving the Navy money" every year.
I understand the upgrade thing for sure. Thankfully my company upgrades a computer every three years. My work laptop gets upgraded in December and the thing is, it's a damn fine machine. I had the CPU fan replaced once, took about 3 hours for me to get it back which isn't bad considering I arrived from out of town and just dropped by to shoot the breeze and told them that there was a little fan noise. They hooked me up vice waiting until it failed and then I'd have to send it through FedEx to get it repaired. This is because I'm the manager at a remote site. You know remote sites are just about on their own when it comes to IT support.

I'm still working on the VDev, I hope you like the changes.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I understand the upgrade thing for sure. Thankfully my company upgrades a computer every three years. My work laptop gets upgraded in December and the thing is, it's a damn fine machine. I had the CPU fan replaced once, took about 3 hours for me to get it back which isn't bad considering I arrived from out of town and just dropped by to shoot the breeze and told them that there was a little fan noise. They hooked me up vice waiting until it failed and then I'd have to send it through FedEx to get it repaired. This is because I'm the manager at a remote site. You know remote sites are just about on their own when it comes to IT support.

I'm still working on the VDev, I hope you like the changes.

I took a look. A few of them are very good ideas. I'll be emailing you back a response today hopefully. ;)

gpsguy

foxtalk

Cadet
i your planning to get a new pc for gaming you can use this configuration for the Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.