New Build - Please check and advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw2014

Dabbler
Hi,
Thanks to everyone that helped me get this far.
I have chosen my equipment and would like advice on my choices.

I will be using my FreeNAS box mostly for Data Storage (Date, Music, Video).

I will be using a Windows 7 computer to play music and view movies. Data will be shared by about 15 computers (not at the same time). Plex is a strong possibility.

I am thinking about adding 2 additional 3TB drives (non raid) to use for once a week backing up/imaging of possible 15 computers using Windows Backup or possibly Acronis True Image. This will most likely be done at the same time will probably only be 5 computers.

BUILD
Currently Have
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Fans 3 intake (2 front 1 bottom) 3 exhaust (2 top 1 back)

Hard Drives 18TB - 6 - Western Digital Red 3TB - RAID-Z2 - Possible 2 more for Computer Backups
Controler IBM ServeRaid M1015

Power Supply EVGA -Supernova 1200 P2

USB Thumb Drive 3 SanDisk Cruzer - 8GB

Not Yet Purchased
Motherboard Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Socket

Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.7GHz Turbo - LGA 1155
CPU Cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TB-CPU

Memory Crucial 16 GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Unbuffered EEC Server Memory

UPS APC SMC1500 Smart-UPS 900 Watts/1500 VA

Do I need cache drives?
Thanks for the assistance and suggestions

Fraoch

Patron
Everything looks good but the power supply is extreme overkill. You indicate you already have it so you might as well use it but with such a tiny load in comparison to its rated load it won't be very efficient at all, and it will be on 24/7.

For a server, an aftermarket CPU cooler is usually not necessary. I only went with one to reduce noise but it's not needed for thermal reasons as the processor will idle almost all the time.

Most home users won't benefit from a cache drive:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

mw2014

Dabbler
Everything looks good but the power supply is extreme overkill. You indicate you already have it so you might as well use it but with such a tiny load in comparison to its rated load it won't be very efficient at all, and it will be on 24/7.

For a server, an aftermarket CPU cooler is usually not necessary. I only went with one to reduce noise but it's not needed for thermal reasons as the processor will idle almost all the time.

Most home users won't benefit from a cache drive:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Thank you very much for you evaluation.

A good friend builds Windows Servers and suggested nothing less than 1000 watts.
My initial idea was to build a Windows server, until I found FreeNAS, so I have a large PSU.
I've seen blogs stating a large PSU will use more power than a small PSU and others that say a PSU will only use what it needs so size doesn't matter.
Once I get it built, I was thinking of installing a plug in power meter just to see what it uses.

Since I will have extra Power and SATA ports and a couple extra CD/DVD's, I was thinking of installing one.
I don't know what I would use it for at the moment, but my thought is, I have it why not use it.
Is there any reason not to?

Thanks.

Roman

Explorer
A good friend builds Windows Servers and suggested nothing less than 1000 watts.
One-socket systems usually don't need 1k watts PSUs.

Fraoch

Patron
My initial idea was to build a Windows server, until I found FreeNAS, so I have a large PSU.
I've seen blogs stating a large PSU will use more power than a small PSU and others that say a PSU will only use what it needs so size doesn't matter.
Once I get it built, I was thinking of installing a plug in power meter just to see what it uses.

Plugging these values into this calculator, I get:

Minimum PSU Wattage:269 W
Recommended
PSU Wattage:
3.gif
1.gif
9.gif
w.gif

So it is crazy overkill. There's no need for so much power, but there is a need for reliability - large enterprise servers even have redundant power supplies, but usually not quite so big.

Since I will have extra Power and SATA ports and a couple extra CD/DVD's, I was thinking of installing one.
I don't know what I would use it for at the moment, but my thought is, I have it why not use it.
Is there any reason not to?

It will work and there's no reason not to use it if you have it. The concern is - is it efficient?

Looking at tests:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=389

(I was hoping johnnyGURU would have a review, he publishes extensive efficiency tests)

you're lucky, it's a Platinum PSU, and that chart shows 91.1% efficiency at 248.4 W, which is quite close to your maximum load. At 10% load (idle, where your system will be most of the time), the power supply is still 86.8% efficient.

That's actually higher efficiency than the SeaSonic unit I'm using: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=326

So it looks like you won't have any inefficiencies, you just overspent.;)

JackShine

Dabbler
Sounds good to me

Buy why are you storing dates?

mw2014

Dabbler
Sounds good to me

Buy why are you storing dates?

Thanks for the review.
Data Storage (Date, Music, Video) - Is a mistype, I meant Data Storage (Data, Music, Video)
You are very observant, I had to read it three times before I found the error.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.