What is System Settings / Advanced / Allowed IP Addresses? No ref in docs

probain

Patron
Looking through the docs, link, but I'm unable to find a reference explaining what the "Allowed IP Addresses"-box is referencing to. It's even visible in IXsystems visuals. Just not explained.
  • Is it for Web-UI?
    • This has a separate UI-element elsewhere
  • Is it a blanket first stage "only allow these addresses" for everything? E.g. SSH, shares, Web, etc etc?
Thanks

probain

Patron
1699112323303.png

Arwen

MVP
You seem to be right. Some places have popup help, that is well, helpful. I don't see one for that item.

It might be wise to submit a bug request for documentation update, (well full creation for that item), using the "Report a Bug" at the top of any forum page.

probain

Patron
You seem to be right. Some places have popup help, that is well, helpful. I don't see one for that item.

It might be wise to submit a bug request for documentation update, (well full creation for that item), using the "Report a Bug" at the top of any forum page.
Will do. Was just wondering if I was missing anything obvious.

probain

Patron

Stonemage

Cadet
So... before coming across this thread, I have typed in an IP address and saved the configuration, only to find that I had mistyped the IP address and am now greeted with "Access from your IP is restricted", effectively being locked out of the GUI altogether.

How can one clear this config from the CLI in order to revert or remove the mistyped IP address?

GreatDay

Cadet
So... before coming across this thread, I have typed in an IP address and saved the configuration, only to find that I had mistyped the IP address and am now greeted with "Access from your IP is restricted", effectively being locked out of the GUI altogether.

How can one clear this config from the CLI in order to revert or remove the mistyped IP address?
Sooo... I just did the same thing. Have you figured out how to fix this?

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems

Or you can submit directly to the docs team through the feedback link on the docs website on the righthand side:
1703100442758.png

Shahrokh

Cadet

I got myself into the same situation. Is there anyone tell us how to fix this? Was trying to debug why I can't access services via OpenVPN connection, naively thinking this is just an allow list.

I have three options I think:
1) fix my connections on OpenVPN. I can ping and even ssh all other devices on my local network except truenas server!! I can even ping OpenVPN client from truenas server but not the other way.
2) someone tell us how to remove this IP entry (preferred).
3) restore the last config db from cli (not sure what would happen as it's for a while ago and has created some other services and databases since then).

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm running the latest version of TrueNAS Scale.

Shahrokh

Cadet
After two heavy&intense hours, this is how I fixed my issue. Luckily, I had previously enabled ssh on my instance. The dashboard configuration is stored in `data/freenas-v1.db` which is a sqlite database. I logged in into sqlite, searched for possible table holding that allowlist IP, changed it and finally restart `middlewared` service.

Here are the commands I ran from data directory as root:
1) sqlite3
2) attach "freenas-v1.db";
3) update system_settings set stg_guiallowlist="[]" where id=1; ("[]" was the default value)
4 systemctl restart middlewared (and BOOM)

p.s. Run command 2&3 in sqlite3 cli.
p.s. to read the IP you've set run:
1) .headers ON
2) select * from system_settings
p.s. Use ctrl + d to exitsqlite cli.

geethsg7

Cadet
@Shahrokh thank you, u saved me so much time.

THANK GOD I TURNED ON SSH...

This is what I did for future reference (Cobia):

ssh into root and run the following:

1. sudo sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db
2. update system_settings set stg_guiallowlist="[]" where id=1;
3. CTRL + D
4. systemctl restart middlewared

This did the trick!

Last edited:

probain

Patron
y'all are welcome to log into the JIRA-ticket and upvote it. So we get this setting updated with proper documentation. :)

Happyfeet748

Cadet
@Shahrokh thank you, u saved me so much time.

THANK GOD I TURNED ON SSH...

This is what I did for future reference (Cobia):

ssh into root and run the following:

1. sudo sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db
2. update system_settings set stg_guiallowlist="[]" where id=1;
3. CTRL + D
4. systemctl restart middlewared

This did the trick!
BUDDDDD THANK YOU SO FREAKIN MUCH I SOMEHOW DIDNTHIS TO MY ENTIRE NETWORK AND I DIDNT NOT WANT TO PAY S3 DOWNLOAD PRICES FOR 8tb+

probain

Patron
Looks like there has been progress on the Jira. So we'll get some sort of help snippet for this in a upcoming release :)

aressler38

Cadet
You can also reset it via the TrueNAS CLI like this:

Code:
system general update ui_allowlist=[]
system general ui_restart