FreeNAS 8.2.0-BETA3 is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
Is there an upgrade path from the 8.0 line? That is to say, if I install the latest 8.0 release right now will I be able to upgrade when 8.2 goes stable?

Sir.Robin

Guru
I am relatively new to FreeNAS but have bought new parts for my FreeNAS project instead of going Qnap, Synology and so on...

Currently running 8.2 Beta 3 and testing things out. My goal is for it to take over as my main storage system after my Win 2008R2 server.

I must say i am truly impressed by this product. To be able to get this sort of software free of charge is... well... i feel lucky to know about it!! Big Thanx to all of the involved in the FreeNAS project :)

Gnome

Explorer
It's odd though - in the CIFS share options there is Allow Anonymous (which suggests that anonymous are allowed, perhaps in addition to authenticated as well?)
And also, and this is the kicker, Only Allow Anonymous. This definitely suggests that you can have a single share that is authenticated and also allow Anonymous, else why even have this option at all? Ticking it on or off makes no odds...

You can have a single share that allows authentication and anonymous. I use it that way. Samba will accept any username and password, if it isn't in the ACL then you are logged on as anonymous. If it is then you are logged on as the user provided the password is correct. If the password for the user (provided it exists in the ACL) is incorrect you will receive a permission denied.

In Windows you can log on using a username and password to such a share using net use command. eg. net use z: \\server\share password /USER:account

Windows will by default try login to a SMB share using guest. If that fails, it will try login with your current username and password. Failing that it will prompt for a username & password.

If you have share that is set to allow anonymous but you want ACL then it will the username and password provided by Windows regardless if it exists in the ACL and exhibit the behaviour noted above.

duckman

Dabbler
Oh that's new information. I have to say I did not try giving it fake usernames & passwords. I'll try that though, just to see if it really works (not that I doubt you!).

It's still not totally ideal though: Anonymous to me means that you gain access with NO username or password. If you have to give one (even if it's "foo" and "baz") then you may as well use a real one for the extra effort it takes...

I was looking into this for a specific case: I have a piece of kit that can access a samba share, but it has no facility AT ALL for supplying a username or password. SO I was looking to be able to have a share that either accepted authentication or none at all.

Gnome

Explorer
I was looking into this for a specific case: I have a piece of kit that can access a samba share, but it has no facility AT ALL for supplying a username or password. SO I was looking to be able to have a share that either accepted authentication or none at all.

But what kind of client will be using it? Windows based computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.