8.0.3 RELEASE coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcooper

Hey gcooper - i think the issue is with zoneedit.com, it looks like if the zone is up to date, it returns like its not a valid user/pass combo. So i edited the zone via the zoneedit.com UI, then started the service and it starts and updates the IP. Not sure why the system thinks the user/pass is invalid when the ip is up to date.

Could be a port bug as well..

joeschmuck

Old Man
@ Raymond,
Could be a port bug as well..
Didn't you say that it worded fine in 8.0.2? If so, could you roll it back to that version and see if you still have that problem, then just roll it back to 8.0.3 if you like. Just save a copy of your configuration if you haven't already. That would help identify if it's zoneedit.com or actually an issue in 8.0.3. If you're not comfortable doing this, it's okay. I could create a zoneedit account I guess and test it. I know Dyndns works fine.

Raymond Matos

Explorer
@ Raymond,

Didn't you say that it worded fine in 8.0.2? If so, could you roll it back to that version and see if you still have that problem, then just roll it back to 8.0.3 if you like. Just save a copy of your configuration if you haven't already. That would help identify if it's zoneedit.com or actually an issue in 8.0.3. If you're not comfortable doing this, it's okay. I could create a zoneedit account I guess and test it. I know Dyndns works fine.

Well thinking about it, I enabled it on 8.0.3 RC3, which would of been fine as it was the first time i ever did it and the ip on zoneedit.com would have been incorrect. So this could have been happening way before 8.0.3.

I have another box here, i will install 8.0.2 on it and i'll let you know.

G

gcooper

Well thinking about it, I enabled it on 8.0.3 RC3, which would of been fine as it was the first time i ever did it and the ip on zoneedit.com would have been incorrect. So this could have been happening way before 8.0.3.

I have another box here, i will install 8.0.2 on it and i'll let you know.

In other news the amd64 image completed recently and it's working on the i386 image (first pass -- the build time per architecture is 4 hours on streetfighter.ix..).

zerg

Dabbler
SATA works fine @ RC2 and Release. The reason of slow connection (PIO2 33 MB/s) was IDE mode of SATA controller (which is default setting after BIOS upgrade).

ada1 at ahcich1 bus 0 scbus1 target 0 lun 0
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: <Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 MKAOA3B0> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: 600.000MB/s transfers (SATA 3.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: Command Queueing enabled
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: 2861588MB (5860533168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)

Daisuke

Contributor
NFSv4 was marked experimental until 9.x. Please be patient... it will come soon enough :).

Thanks Garrett, will be patient captain. :)

On a different order of ideas, anyone checked how is the transfer performance on CIFS with the new release? Before the upgrade, I used to transfer files at 70MB/sec from a Windows local disk to network drive (NAS) and 100MB/sec from network drive (NAS) to local disk. After the 8.0.3 upgrade, the performance is drastically reduced. I'm transferring files at 30MB/sec from a Windows local disk to network drive and 40MB/sec from network drive (NAS) to local disk.

Anyone else is experiencing these performance issues with 8.0.3?

descipar

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anybody else has problems with TimeMachine since version 8.0.3?
Was working flawless in 8.0.2 and since I the upgrade TimeMachine just complains it cannot mount the volume. although I can mount the volume in Finder, write files on it, etc...

@TECK: I did not do any correct measurement but based on a few transfers the speed was greatly reduced. Writing down to 30 MB/sec most of the times. Former speed was about 80 to 90 MB/sec.

G

gcooper

SATA works fine @ RC2 and Release. The reason of slow connection (PIO2 33 MB/s) was IDE mode of SATA controller (which is default setting after BIOS upgrade).

ada1 at ahcich1 bus 0 scbus1 target 0 lun 0
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: <Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 MKAOA3B0> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: 600.000MB/s transfers (SATA 3.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: Command Queueing enabled
Jan 5 12:21:33 freenas kernel: ada1: 2861588MB (5860533168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)

Ok. Thanks for the clarification!

G

gcooper

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anybody else has problems with TimeMachine since version 8.0.3?
Was working flawless in 8.0.2 and since I the upgrade TimeMachine just complains it cannot mount the volume. although I can mount the volume in Finder, write files on it, etc...

@TECK: I did not do any correct measurement but based on a few transfers the speed was greatly reduced. Writing down to 30 MB/sec most of the times. Former speed was about 80 to 90 MB/sec.

I'm getting feedback on IRC that certain things are broken with samba 3.6 (guest authentication) that worked with 8.0.2... I'm trying to reproduce the issue, but if all else fails I'm going to just downgrade samba to 3.5 and re-release it as 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1.

Guess it goes to show that just because it works for me at home with my Windows 7 box with a simple configuration, doesn't mean that it works with FreeNAS/TrueNAS and its complex configuration -_-...

Really wish I had gotten this feedback earlier. It's frustrating...

mattymuc

Dabbler
I can confirm that read/write speed has been reduced from about 100MB/s to 20-30MB/s. CPU is 94% idle. Perhaps there are more problems with samba 3.6, or is there a magic switch to improve performance in samba 3.6?

G

gcooper

I can confirm that read/write speed has been reduced from about 100MB/s to 20-30MB/s. CPU is 94% idle. Perhaps there are more problems with samba 3.6?

Potentially. There was also a report that I got from the maintainer of ataidle where upgrading to 2.6 causes issues with "some chipsets". Daisuke-san reported the issue with FreeNAS 7 and the port commit suggested that the issue was purely with FreeBSD 7, but the author (brucec@FreeBSD) told me that the issue spanned multiple versions of the OS. So I'm looking at upgrading to 2.7.2, per his suggestion.

Gah...

Magic eightball says: "Expect a FreeNAS 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1 in your immediate future".

Daisuke

Contributor
I'm getting feedback on IRC that certain things are broken with samba 3.6 (guest authentication) that worked with 8.0.2... I'm trying to reproduce the issue, but if all else fails I'm going to just downgrade samba to 3.5 and re-release it as 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1.

Guess it goes to show that just because it works for me at home with my Windows 7 box with a simple configuration, doesn't mean that it works with FreeNAS/TrueNAS and its complex configuration -_-...

Really wish I had gotten this feedback earlier. It's frustrating...
Sorry, Garrett. I never install a pre-release on my NAS as I keep pretty important development files in there...
Are you using Samba 3.6.1 or 3.6.0? There were many bug fixes in 3.6.1 and I really like the security improvements in 3.6 branch.

Other output into current log:
Code:
Jan  5 17:02:24 pluto root: /etc/rc: WARNING: /etc/exports is not readable.
Jan  5 17:02:24 pluto root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for mountd
Jan  5 17:02:24 pluto root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for vmware_guestd

ataidle: the device does not support advanced power management

I presume the ataidle message is just noise, as it always showed for me. However, I noticed a new failed routine: vmware_guestd.

mattymuc

Dabbler
It's Samba version 3.6.1.
But if there's no solution for these CIFS performance drops I think it's better to downgrade to 3.5.x.

Daisuke

Contributor
It's Samba version 3.6.1.
But if there's no solution for these CIFS performance drops I think it's better to downgrade to 3.5.x.

mattymuc, try this in Windows:
Open your card adapter properties and go to Advanced.
Change the 'Link Speed & Duplex' setting from Auto to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex.
Reboot your NAS, then your computer.

Doing this, it restored the previous speeds for me. Let me know if it improves for you also.
I'm currently transferring at 100+ MB/sec from network disk to local disk. I have dual cards on my PC (Intel and Realtek) and both perform properly once I define the exact Speed & Duplex. Reverting the setting back to Auto brings back the crappy CIFS performance.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@gcooper,
You know you are getting all these results from folks because it's being called "Release". Next time just call it "8.0.3" and maybe the bugs will stay hidden :)

Notice you're moving mm to the branch, are you creating a single version now? If so I think it's the smart path to take. If you wouldn't mind tossing me a PM when you think it's ready for a build, I'd like to give it a shot again.

mattymuc

Dabbler
TECK, sorry this does not work. I tried it on 2 systems, also with Jumbo Frames but I get 20-30MB over CIFS and >100MB with NFS. I have only moved the FreeNAS server from 8.0.2 to 8.0.3 and had much better performance with 8.0.2. So I think it's no problem with the intel nic drivers. So what else could it be except of samba 3.6.1?

Daisuke

Contributor
You are right. The transfer speed is degrading if you move a 5GB file through CIFS. The funny thing is that I get great performance when I transfer from network drive to local drive but horrible performance from local drive to network drive. NFS is solid, as you mentioned. It looks like Garrett needs to do a version revert... too bad we lose the security enhancements in 3.6 branch.

Garrett, what will the new version be called?
I would suggest this format: FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-PL1 (patch level 1)

G

gcooper

You are right. The transfer speed is degrading if you move a 5GB file through CIFS. The funny thing is that I get great performance when I transfer from network drive to local drive but horrible performance from local drive to network drive. NFS is solid, as you mentioned. It looks like Garrett needs to do a version revert... too bad we lose the security enhancements in 3.6 branch.

Garrett, what will the new version be called?
I would suggest this format: FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-PL1 (patch level 1)

FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1. samba will be downgraded and I'll update ataidle to 2.72 based on advice about chipset 'issues' from the upstream maintainer.

G

gcooper

@gcooper,
You know you are getting all these results from folks because it's being called "Release". Next time just call it "8.0.3" and maybe the bugs will stay hidden :)

Notice you're moving mm to the branch, are you creating a single version now? If so I think it's the smart path to take. If you wouldn't mind tossing me a PM when you think it's ready for a build, I'd like to give it a shot again.

Yes I'm putting the changes back into a single branch, but the multimedia features are going to be separate from the standard features, for now, until we have plugins..

kingtj

Dabbler
descipar: I use Time Machine pretty extensively with my FreeNAS box over here since that's pretty much all I have it doing. (I have 4 Macs on our LAN at home and they're all configured to back up all of their contents to FreeNAS via Time Machine.) I upgraded from 8.02 to the 8.03RC3 release a couple days ago and my machines seem to still be running their Time Machine backup sessions without any issues.

(Actually, I was anxious to upgrade from 8.02 because I ran into problems where after a week or so, the FreeNAS box would crash, apparently due to bugs in netatalk under heavy load/usage. Since 8.03 updated netatalk, I was hoping that would be all I needed to end that issue.)

Hello everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.