FreeNAS 8.2.0-BETA4

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Nope..it doesn't help at all. The problem still exists. I'm using HTTP and default port. DNS and Gateway are correct.
Are you talking about the bad gateway? If so I did see that when I tried to use an alias IP address. I deleted the alias and the bad gateway was gone. Now that was with MiniDLNA, I haven't tried torrent or firefly but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same. It looks like you don't need the alias with this version, it looks to create an alias when you install the jail. I could be completely wrong here, I just started messing with 8.2.0 a few days ago and since going on vacation, haven't had much time to play with it.

ProtoSD

MVP
Sorry, no time to make a video this time, I'm also away on vacation and working on a Serviio Plugin, but yes, you don't need to create an "Alias IP" with Beta-4. The Jail dialog does all that for you, plus also they're using Vimage? for the jail which handles all the network stuff for the jail differently.

You still need to setup your default gateway and DNS before adding the Jail plugin.

Overall it's looking pretty good! (except for the problems people are having with plugins)

Quasar

Cadet
Are you talking about the bad gateway? If so I did see that when I tried to use an alias IP address. I deleted the alias and the bad gateway was gone. Now that was with MiniDLNA, I haven't tried torrent or firefly but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same. It looks like you don't need the alias with this version, it looks to create an alias when you install the jail. I could be completely wrong here, I just started messing with 8.2.0 a few days ago and since going on vacation, haven't had much time to play with it.
I have got no alias (I've deleted it already). I'm getting two errors: "...HTTP error 502: bad gateway" and "...<urlopen error timed out>". Sometimes I get the first one, sometimes the second... Can't get, what's wrong...

colni

Dabbler
arrrgh well if it creates the alias then my issue lays else where, i cant get any of the plugins to start they just never start and dont give any errors (that i can see!)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Well... There are quite few reports about plugins not working/starting.
But seriously, telling us "Oh, hey, it is not working!" is quite useless, with all due respect.

The BETA exists so people try it and report the issues, using the official means, including logs, system information, configuration + w/e to help fix the issue (if any). The official channel is http://support.freenas.org.

That being said, so far I've not found a single person that could not get it to work after install the lastest jail and plugins (the ones from BETA3 wont work!) and fixing the network between host and jail (The IP chosen for the Jail must be reachable within the network).

Quasar

Cadet
That being said, so far I've not found a single person that could not get it to work after install the lastest jail and plugins (the ones from BETA3 wont work!) and fixing the network between host and jail (The IP chosen for the Jail must be reachable within the network).
I'm this person) I've installed the latest jail and transmission-plugin, jail-IP is reachable from within the host and my network.

Some of my logs are on the first page:
http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7494-FreeNAS-8-2-0-BETA4&p=29697&viewfull=1#post29697

P.S.: of course, you right, that it's beta. And I'm really grateful for your job. FreeNAS is really great app. Thank you!

colni

Dabbler
Well... There are quite few reports about plugins not working/starting.
But seriously, telling us "Oh, hey, it is not working!" is quite useless, with all due respect.

The BETA exists so people try it and report the issues, using the official means, including logs, system information, configuration + w/e to help fix the issue (if any). The official channel is http://support.freenas.org.

William, i ment no dis-respect! i love freenas and tbh what i am using it for (sharing files) it works perfectly.
i fully understand is it in beta, which is why i posted asking the questions about the ip addresses.

you said "fixing the network between host and jail" could you point me to some documentation on this as i cant ping my jail ip from anywhere on the network.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I did not mean to be rude, don't get me wrong.

I'm just saying thats why we launch BETAs, but without proper reports it is impossible to identify the issues and fix them. This forum is not a software dev support system, the developers very rarely look here.

@colni, the IP jail must be withtin the same network. Also, if you're using it in vmware or virtualbox you might need to enable promiscuous mode.
Also, can you paste ifconfig -a inside and outside jail?

colni

Dabbler
(oh i dunno where my first reply went to)
william, your not going to believe this but i can now ping the jail, for some reason it needed a reboot?

anyways here is the info you asked for but as i said about i can now ping it :)

(

AST,WOL_MAGIC>
ether c8:60:00:bd:eb:9a
inet 192.168.150.19 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.150.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether 3a:03:df:26:a4:66
id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
member: re0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
ifmaxaddr 0 port 1 priority 128 path cost 200000
member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
ifmaxaddr 0 port 4 priority 128 path cost 2000
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
ether 02:98:a2:00:04:0a
[root@freenas ~]#

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
epair0b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether 02:98:a2:00:05:0b
inet 192.168.150.20 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.150.255
inet6 fe80::98:a2ff:fe00:50b%epair0b prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>)

now on to the next fun > MiniDLNA data did not validate, configure it first. :)

thank you for your replies

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
If you refresh the GUI you should see a MiniDLNA configuration screen, from the tree menu, in: Services->Plugins->MiniDLNA.

Configuring the path will let you start it.

colni

Dabbler
Thanks William spot on again.

I just want to clarify for anybody else the steps I took

Installed freenas, set up my raid volume in GUI.
Created two zfs data sets, one called jail and one called plugins
Config'ed plugin's service, and set up jail from pbi
At this stage I could not ping jail, even after I had started and then restarted the service several times.
I rebooted freenas and then I could ping the jail.
I then added minidnla plugin via the pbi install
Refreshed my browser and I configured minidlna from the services menu
Then started minidlna from plugins menu

All working brillantly!

Cheers

brwatters

Dabbler
Just wanted to say THANKS to the great team of the Dev's, this latest build has thus far been rock solid compared to 8.0.4, What a total difference 32bit vs. 64bit, No way ZFS with 60 drives would ever work, moved to 64bit with 12GB of memory and autotune enabled and we have hammered on this system and can not make it break, with a few NFS shares and files being written from more than one source would KILL the 32bit install.

Anyway great job !!

BRW

freibuis

Dabbler
I wish I could say the same :( upgraded to this version only to get a Kernel panic with auto-tune on. I had to roll back to 8.2-b3. I am hoping its just the build ;)

Still no drivers for the new intel I350 cards even tho there are already in freebsd. I keep hoping for each release they will show up..

Great work though. each small step brings this closer to actual enterprise use.

herbert_muda

Cadet
Some errors occured

Hello Everybody,

In first I wanted to say you "congratulations", Freenas is really a powerful tool. I installed the beta 4 version for the plugin but, I have some problems.
The installation jail worked and when I ckeck, the jail is reachable. Unfortunatly, when I want to install MiniDnla or transmission, the installation seems to be OK but I never can launch this plugins, the system write "some problems occured" ! And when I try to launch this installation in French language...I lost the freenas explorer Oo...

Do you have an idea about that ?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
For anyone using x86:

We have found a bug where the x86 plugins have x64 binaries, somehow, a bug in the build it seems.
So, if you're using x86 the plugins won't work.

zyo

Dabbler
Samba performance saw a sudden drop (50MB/s to 10MB/s consistent) from BETA3 to BETA4. No plugins installed and no scrubbing running pool status healthy.

Any suggestions? I have autotune turned BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.