FreeNAS 8.2.0-BETA4

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I'm experiencing problems with DNS lookups from the Jail. Looking at resolv.conf the DNS server is there, but when I try to do a "pkg_add", it fails. I tried nslookup, but it can't find the command. If I just try ping ftp.freebsd.org or ANY host I get:

Code:
ping: cannot resolve ftp.freebsd.org: Host name lookup failure 

Code:
ifconfig                                                               
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384               
        options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>                                                
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000                                       
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128                                                 
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1                              
        nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>                                  
epair0b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500   
        ether 02:48:6f:00:05:0b                                                 
        inet 192.168.2.25 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255            
        inet6 fe80::48:6fff:fe00:50b%epair0b prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2           
        nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV> 

Maybe I'm missing something, it's been a long day.

Is your freenas virtualized?

Can you paste ifconfig -a and netstat -rn (outside jail)?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just want to update. It seems my miniDLNA discovery issue is because of my shitty netgear routers not because of the beta. :)

EDIT: Fixed my stupid routers and now miniDLNA works like a charm. :) First beta where all three plugins seem to 'just work' out of the box with no errors or hair-pulling. FreeNAS 8 was a bit disappointing to me and felt a bit half-baked, the lack of proper storage for software was horrid. But I have to say, with 8.2 I can finally see where this is all leading, and I like it very much. Once we get an updated software stack based on FreeBSD 9 and a new ZFS version and some more plugins I think FreeNAS will be really something excellent.
Does MiniDLNA start up automatically after you reboot?

garfunkel

Dabbler

No. I have to start them manually. I imagine that's easy to fix for the RC/Beta 5 though.

I wish there was also a way to have minidlna scan on an interval or use inotify (does BSD even have inotify?) or something. The only way it will re-scan is by enabling it in the settings to re-scan on startup and then restart the plugin. :(

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Unfortunately automatic directory watch is not something that can be fixed on freenas end.

Someone must implement this on minidla using libevent instead of relying on Linux-specific calls.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems

Do you see any error in /var/log/messages (inside out outside jail)?

Maybe "chmod 0440 /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/etc/sudoers" inside jail and then reediting the settings might fix the issue.
Please report back if you try this, thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Maybe "chmod 0440 /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/etc/sudoers" inside jail and then reediting the settings might fix the issue.
This may take some time as I'm on vacation and using remote access to my home system. I'll try to get to this soon but thankfully vacation comes first. It's nice to relax from my day job.

Candolim

Cadet
Thanks a lot for the release!

I installed FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA4-x64 (r11722) on my USB drive and was able to install jail and the Minidlna plugin without any problems, but I can't seem to install the transmission and firefly plugins.

After I upload the plugin I get the following message in the console:

freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: This file was not identified as in PBI format, it might as well be corrupt.]

I get the same message for both transmission-2.51-amd64 and firefly-1696_6-amd64.

niclas197

Dabbler
Hey,
since updating to Beta4 no service inside the plugin-jail starts automatically.
I've got mysql installed (and added to rc.conf inside the jail) but I have to do a manual "service mysql-server start" to run the server.
Is there any fix yet or is this an acknowledged problem?

garfunkel

Dabbler

In the messages log inside the gaol there are a couple of these:

Jun 15 15:12:31 jail root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start minidlna

Which may be the reason, but nothing that points to the problem. There is nothing related in the messages file outside the gaol. The sudoers file is already 0440.

BTW: I notice the gaol doesn't use the ntp time settings from the host, is there a way to do this or do we need to configure the gaol ntp service manually from the command line?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Ok, I've spotted the issue.
The problem is that the network is not set up before the minidlna daemon is started, failing to bind address.

Unfortunately there is not an easy workaround, we'll have to wait for RC1.

garfunkel

Dabbler
Ok, I've spotted the issue.
The problem is that the network is not set up before the minidlna daemon is started, failing to bind address.

Unfortunately there is not an easy workaround, we'll have to wait for RC1.

Awesome, thanks mate. So far, the beta4 has been solid and I've only had to start it manually after a booting once. :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
@garfunkel
With Minidlna running, if you reboot do you see any issues on the console (not the GUI) during the reboot? While I am using a VM, I frequently get trap 12 errors I'd say 90% of the time when Minidlna is running during the reboot yet I get no errors with Minidlna turned off. I'm just curious if you can test that out as I think it's a separate problem and I'm not certain it's strictly a VMWare issue or not.

garfunkel

Dabbler
@garfunkel
With Minidlna running, if you reboot do you see any issues on the console (not the GUI) during the reboot? While I am using a VM, I frequently get trap 12 errors I'd say 90% of the time when Minidlna is running during the reboot yet I get no errors with Minidlna turned off. I'm just curious if you can test that out as I think it's a separate problem and I'm not certain it's strictly a VMWare issue or not.

I will try a reboot and have a look tomorrow for you. These boot logs are put in /var/log/console aren't they?

ClassicGOD

Contributor
After I upload the plugin I get the following message in the console:

freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: This file was not identified as in PBI format, it might as well be corrupt.]

I get the same message for both transmission-2.51-amd64 and firefly-1696_6-amd64.
Had the same problem. Reboot and try again. In my case it worked after reboot.

Did anybody try already plugins in beta4? I've upgraded from beta3 (deleting all plugins and jail before), installed transmission-plugin - it doesn't work at all. I can see only this error: "Couldn't retrieve http://server_ip:80/plugins/transmission/_s/status: HTTP error 502: bad gateway".
Sometimes I get another error: "......<urlopen error timed out>"
This seems to happen when you use https and/or any different port than the default (even 80) for web interface.
Leave the port field in the settings empty, protocol set to HTTP and reboot. If you still have a problem after rebooting try cycling the problematic plugin on and off. After that it should be ok (you'll need to refresh the page).

PS. Also do not forget to set DNS and Gateway in network settings.

colni

Dabbler
sorry to quickly hijack this thread, do you need to have 2 nic's to run jail and freenas?
im a complete n00b at this but i have my freenas box setup and running cifs shares, ive been trying to set up jail but im getting an ip error, which im guessing could be because i only have 1 nic.

just for some info, my nas is statically assigned 192.168.150.19/24 with an allias of 192.168.150.20, when i try to set up jail to use the allias it says the ip is already in use

cheers
colin

phekno

Cadet
So, I was hasty and dumb, and didn't read the part about uninstalling plugins before I upgrade. Now, it looks like most stuff is running, except nginx. That's kind of a problem. When it tries to start I get:
Code:
invalid host in upstream ":12346" in /usr/local/etc/nginx/plugins.conf:2

in /var/log/nginx-error.log. I'm just wondering if it's just safe to rename plugins.conf to fix the problem, or if I need to get a little more dirty to clean out the plugin. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

phekno

Cadet
So, I was hasty and dumb, and didn't read the part about uninstalling plugins before I upgrade. Now, it looks like most stuff is running, except nginx. That's kind of a problem. When it tries to start I get:
Code:
invalid host in upstream ":12346" in /usr/local/etc/nginx/plugins.conf:2

in /var/log/nginx-error.log. I'm just wondering if it's just safe to rename plugins.conf to fix the problem, or if I need to get a little more dirty to clean out the plugin. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

FIXED! I did some more digging and figured that the problem is/was in my sqlite database. I deleted the offending entry and everything is back up and running!

ClassicGOD

Contributor
sorry to quickly hijack this thread, do you need to have 2 nic's to run jail and freenas?
im a complete n00b at this but i have my freenas box setup and running cifs shares, ive been trying to set up jail but im getting an ip error, which im guessing could be because i only have 1 nic.

just for some info, my nas is statically assigned 192.168.150.19/24 with an allias of 192.168.150.20, when i try to set up jail to use the allias it says the ip is already in use

cheers
colin
It looks like with Beta 4 you don't need to setup an alias - it does it automatically, that's why it's telling you that IP is in use because you created an alias and now it tries to create a second one with the same IP. Delete your alias from network settings and just put the IP in the jail setup and it will work. You don't need 2 nics.

Quasar

Cadet
This seems to happen when you use https and/or any different port than the default (even 80) for web interface.
Leave the port field in the settings empty, protocol set to HTTP and reboot. If you still have a problem after rebooting try cycling the problematic plugin on and off. After that it should be ok (you'll need to refresh the page).

PS. Also do not forget to set DNS and Gateway in network settings.

Nope..it doesn't help at all. The problem still exists. I'm using HTTP and default port. DNS and Gateway are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.