VNC is corrupter on gentoo but not on ubuntu

picarica

Dabbler
Hello hello i have issue with VNC i wanted to test it with ubuntu server and it worked pretty well, now i got gentoo on it, installatio was smooth but now the vnc is corrupted like this \/

dont know what the issue i tried ALL RESOLUTIONS from 800x600 to 1920x1080 and all were corrupted like this, higher resoltuions were showing up to 3 images of these
but my ubuntu server showed screen fine, what could be the issue ? is gentoo missing some driver for vnc ?
i dont have GPU for card i do run ryzen 5600 for the system
Screenshot from 2023-03-13 19-16-14.png

Are you in the correct forum? I may be the lone Gentoo guy here, and it's a client, not a TrueNAS box.

Gentoo can be rolled a lot of ways, that's a question for the Gentoo forums as that appears to be a refresh rate issue which has to do with monitor and video card detection in the system Gentoo is running on.

picarica

Dabbler
Are you in the correct forum? I may be the lone Gentoo guy here, and it's a client, not a TrueNAS box.

Gentoo can be rolled a lot of ways, that's a question for the Gentoo forums as that appears to be a refresh rate issue which has to do with monitor and video card detection in the system Gentoo is running on.
i am not sure if its gentoo's fault beacuse the whole uefi boot menu is broken the same way

Are you booting Gentoo in a jail or Virtual Machine running under TrueNAS,
and using the monitor connected to the TrueNAS box to view the output full-screen (not in a window)?

By "the whole UEFI Boot Menu is broken similarly" are you meaning when TrueNAS boots off bare-metal?

What was Ubuntu Server running on? The same Bare Metal, or in a similar jail?

---
This is in the Applications and Jails area (forum), so I'm guessing there's more going on than connecting to a pure and virgin TrueNAS server via an external Gentoo box....

Last edited:

picarica

Dabbler
Are you booting Gentoo in a jail or Virtual Machine running under TrueNAS,
and using the monitor connected to the TrueNAS box to view the output full-screen (not in a window)?

By "the whole UEFI Boot Menu is broken similarly" are you meaning when TrueNAS boots off bare-metal?

What was Ubuntu Server running on? The same Bare Metal, or in a similar jail?

---
This is in the Applications and Jails area (forum), so I'm guessing there's more going on than connecting to a pure and virgin TrueNAS server via an external Gentoo box....
no i mean the gentoo is virtual machine,i dont think u can run gentoo as jail, so its virtual machine and its machine has its own bios somewhat, uefi bios where u can do boot maintnance boot from file etc. and that also broken in the same way as the UI and i dont think i can run it from bra metal, its VM and the only way (except ssh) to connet to it is via VNC

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Have you tried using a different VNC client, instead of the built-in WebVNC?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Also fiddling with the resolution for the VNC device seems to fix things for some people. Try low res (by modern standards) standard values like 800x600 or 1024x768.

picarica

Dabbler
Have you tried using a different VNC client, instead of the built-in WebVNC?
no i have not, didnt even knew there is an option to do that, ill try looking into it
Also fiddling with the resolution for the VNC device seems to fix things for some people. Try low res (by modern standards) standard values like 800x600 or 1024x768.
yes, i think i mentioned it in the original post
dont know what the issue i tried ALL RESOLUTIONS from 800x600 to 1920x1080 and all were corrupted like this, higher resoltuions were showing up to 3 images of these
yes right here, changing resolutions fixed it for my debian server but not for gentoo's the configuration is the same as seen in following photos
ill try different VNC if thats options, are there some guidelines to do that?

Screenshot from 2023-03-15 20-23-50.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 20-23-45.png

picarica

Dabbler
so nobody has issues with VNC with truenas ? am i the only one? i know its not issue with OS because this uefi boot menu looks like this on 800x600 resolution
Screenshot from 2023-03-23 09-35-37.png