SOLVED VMs can't see host

urza

Dabbler
I have exactly the same problem but nothing here helped me to figure out how to exactly set it up so my TrueNAS and VM (Ubuntu server) can see each other.

From my VM I can ping internet and my home router but not my TrueNAS(scale), and from TrueNAS(scale) I can not ping Ubuntu.

I created the br0 interface and assigned it to VM, but it still doesnt work :(

urza

Dabbler
I was able to get the bridge for VMs working when using physical keyboard+monitor setup and their onscreen menu.

For anyone else having the same problem I will just post my steps here:
truenas_scale_bridge_vms.jpg

Reactions: cap

ctag

Patron
Thank you for posting the images @urza.

I'm attempting to follow along, but in my netcli there's no white+blue text UI, when I select Configure Interfaces, it just asks a couple quests about the enp0 device and goes back to the menu. No bridge options listed.

I'm using Truenas Scale 22.02.1, what version are you on?

urza

Dabbler
Thank you for posting the images @urza.

I'm attempting to follow along, but in my netcli there's no white+blue text UI, when I select Configure Interfaces, it just asks a couple quests about the enp0 device and goes back to the menu. No bridge options listed.

I'm using Truenas Scale 22.02.1, what version are you on?
I am on the same version as you. I was doing it with physically attached monitor and keyboard to my truenas box.

emsicz

Explorer
I have 2 NICs on my motherboard. Following the guides here, I can't make anything work. If I create a bridge that has the 2 NICs in it, only the first one will work, the other one becomes unreachable on the network. My VMs lost access to internet and the network, regardless of whether Intel or virt-io NIC type is selected.

This feature is broken/doesn't work as documented. For inspiration on how to implement this so humans can understand it, here's a video of Craft demonstrating the same thing in Windows 10 Hyper-V GUI, which clearly let's you create virtual switch and assign NICs to it.

EDIT: The damned thing works, I just needed to make restarts between individual steps of the whole configuration-transaction.

Last edited:

phin

Dabbler
How would one achieve this with vlans? I have tried creating the bridge, but without an IP and then tried to create a vlan but i was unable to select the bridge.

Both TrueNAS and the VM would be on the same vlan.

ro55_mo

Dabbler
2022-11-20_15-23.png

Just wanted to add that I got this working as well. I have two NICs configured in an LACP bond. I then added the bond to the bridge. I did have to reboot for the configuration to apply itself properly for whatever reason. I made the changes from the CLI setup screen of the server rather than the web GUI.

enp7s0 and enp8s0 both members of bond0 which in turn is a member of br0. Desired IP is applied to the br0 interface.

KnightArch

Cadet
View attachment 60053
Just wanted to add that I got this working as well. I have two NICs configured in an LACP bond. I then added the bond to the bridge. I did have to reboot for the configuration to apply itself properly for whatever reason. I made the changes from the CLI setup screen of the server rather than the web GUI.

enp7s0 and enp8s0 both members of bond0 which in turn is a member of br0. Desired IP is applied to the br0 interface.
You just inspire me and made my life easier!

I just got this scenario worked as well, with two NICs and a bridge working with LACP on a Ubiquiti Unifi Switch Pro 24 PoE. Next challenge is to segment everything with VLANs but I will let this to another day

Thank you!

Trevor68

Contributor
so the new link for that is here, but it also doesn't seem to work in bluefin.

i untick DHCP, create the new bridge, but then the setting have to be "tested" and then they disappear, so can never be applied?

sretalla