UPS connection not working

YanosSr

Cadet
Why Linux is so complicated? Starting to think I'd rather go back on Windows Server for my home use...

Yet another UPS communication problem. My UPS is a Tripp Lite SMART1300LCD. It is listed in the NUT and when I configure it in FreeNAS-11.1 and start the UPS Service, I get this on the console:

Code:
root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nut: WARNING: failed precmd routine for nut
upsmon[19875]: UPS [SMART1300LCDT]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

While reading, I used the command: upsd -DD, This is the output:
Code:
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.7.4												   
   0.000000	 fopen /var/db/nut/upsd.pid: No such file or directory		   
   0.000229	 listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493								 
   0.000497	 Can't connect to UPS [SMART1300LCDT] (usbhid-ups-SMART1300LCDT):
 No such file or directory													 
   0.000540	 /usr/local/etc/nut/cmdvartab not found - disabling descriptions 
   0.000587	 user_add_action: adding 'login' for upsmon					 
   0.000605	 user_add_action: adding 'master' for upsmon					 
   0.000609	 user_add_action: adding 'fsd' for upsmon   

Sure I'm missing something. I thought it would be a walk in the park to configure this, but lost my mind after hours of reading...

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Did you indicate the correct port in the services->UPS->properties screen? This is the message you get if you have the wrong port. Each USB has a port indicator on it. If you want to see what it is, unplug and plug in the UPS, and you should see a console message in the footer. (Turn on "footer messages" in the system screen).

YanosSr

Cadet
DrKK,

Thank you. I have tried several times. It is connected to the right port but still not working. I also changed the USB cable, just in case. When I connect the UPS to a Windows system, it's working fine.
Code:
ugen0.2: <Tripp Lite TRIPP LITE UPS> at usbus0 (disconnected)
uhid0: at uhub0, port 8, addr 1 (disconnected)
uhid0: detached
upsmon[19875]: UPS [SMART1300LCDT]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

Also, see attached screenshot.

Thank you.

Attachments

• UPS.JPG
    UPS.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,109

Nick2253

Wizard

Redcoat

MVP

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I can't imagine why this wouldn't be working if he's using ANY of the settings that use usbhid-ups, and that he has the right port.

If both of those obtain, then I'm out of ideas, especially if what he says that it works on his Windows box is correct.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have no idea if this would matter but...

I was wondering if the version number of the Network UPS Tools User Manual found here.
networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/index.html

In the table of contents, go down to A.) Glossary and under that D.) Hardware Compatibility List, clicking on D. takes you here.
networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/apd.html

That page has a link to the Online HCL
Last updated 2016-03-09 14:27:49 -- Network UPS Tools 2.7.4

Clicking on the above link takes you here.
networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

After searching THIS version (2.7.4) which was verified at the very bottom of the web page, the OP's hardware (SMART1300LCD) seems to be missing from this document.

I would respectfully suggest trying a different USB port on the FreeNAS server
and/or trying a serial port configuration. Good luck

Redcoat

MVP
the OP's hardware (SMART1300LCD) seems to be missing from this document.
Yes, I saw that too. So I went to the users manual for the SMART 1300LCD and found that it was a common manual for the SMART 1500LCD also, making no differentiation on operation, so I discounted the significance of it not being on the NUT list.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well do this then.

Try each and every USB port address in the UPS/NUT services config. See if one of them works.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think NUT automagically determines the USB port and ignores the setting.

YanosSr

Cadet
Thank you everyone. I will make some tests based on your comments. I'll come back with the results.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think NUT automagically determines the USB port and ignores the setting.
This is correct when using USB hid devices. You can literally put any value in that field it gets ignored.

YanosSr

Cadet
Ok. Last try. Otherwize, I give up.

I did reset my UPS just in case. Tried to connect to USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 ports with no luck. I run the command
Code:
/usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a smart1300lcdt -DDD
and the output is below. Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you.

Attachments

• UPS Driver Log.txt
    39 KB · Views: 488

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ok. Last try. Otherwize, I give up.

I did reset my UPS just in case. Tried to connect to USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 ports with no luck. I run the command
Code:
/usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a smart1300lcdt -DDD
and the output is below. Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you.
Did you ever get this sorted out?

YanosSr

Cadet
@Chris Moore, unfortunately, I'm not a Linux guy, so I switched back to a Windows Server and got it running as I was expecting it under 3 hours. Saddly, I gave up on Freenas.
Thank you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm not a Linux guy
I looked over the conversation thread and I think I identified what the problem was...
Sorry that you gave up on it, but FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, which is Unix, not Linux.
If you ever want to give it another try, the ZFS file system is a very good thing for the protection of your data.
Maybe when your current version of Windows needs to be replaced, you might try again then instead of buying another Microsoft product.