Unable to update to a version more recent than 8.0.1 RC1 - hang on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo100

Dabbler
Hi,

I've tried many attempts to update my current 8.0.1rc1 installation of Freenas without any success. I've tried rc2, 8.0.1 and 8.0.2. I've tried updating via usb, cd and I have also tried through a gui update. Previous to rc1 my updates worked without any problem.

Onto the issue....

During the installation the process stops with the message:
"run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config"
The time counts up as more time passes, i.e. "120 seconds", but the installation does not continue. (Photo of messages below from 8.0.2):

notworking.jpg

As a comparison I have taken a photo of the messages on my working rc1 just after the "umass0" message:

working.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this working it'd be most appreciated. It does seem that a background change between rc1 and rc2 has caused this to occur. Something related to freebsd update?

Thanks,
Mark

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Mark

It would be helpful if you could post your hardware info, motherboard etc.

mo100

Dabbler
Hi Mark

It would be helpful if you could post your hardware info, motherboard etc.

Of course, no problem. I'm using an old mobo but as it was already working with the previous versions of Freenas I was hoping to continue using it. I've made a list below.

DFI NF2 ULTRA INFINITY 400 FSB SOCKET 462 MOTHERBOARD
2GB DDR MEMORY
AthlonXP3200
INTEL 8390MT 1000MT Gigabit DESKTOP PCI NETWORK CARD
2 PORT PCI SATA II ADAPTOR
2 * WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB Caviar Green SATA-600 64MB
Dane-Elec zLight No Limit USB 2.0 Flash / Key Drive - 8GB

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

The first thing I would try is using a different USB key. The image size of 8 increased from 1GB to 2GB sometime in the beta\RC cycle and in my experience a 2GB key is just a hair too small.

If you have a 4GB key around it would be real easy to see if a bigger key gets you past this. Save your config before and you can reapply it to the new key if it works.

-Will

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just a thought, it looks like everyone is saying they are doing an "upgrade installation". When you do the software change from the CD and asked the question "Would you like to upgrade the installation on ***?", select No. Post how that works.

fletcgar

Cadet
Hi All

I was using a 4GB stick, and doing a full install from an iso.

I downloaded the iso image FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64.iso. Initially I burnt the iso into a CD, then tried to boot from the CD. Then I installed a VM (VMPlayer) for FreeBSD, and installed onto a 4GB flash usb drive.

When I boot from either of these I get stuck with the same message repeating:

run_interrupt_driven_hooks : still waiting after 60 seconds *** seconds for xpt_config

*** is updated every 60 seconds. Then nothing...just the message every 60 seconds, with the number of second, ***, updated.

I downloaded the iso from SorceForge onto my Windows 7 platform, that's why I wanted to install onto CD or USB (preference).

I was wondering if it is a problem with my hardware/processor

Motherboard: MS-7304
Chipset: AMD RS790/880
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
FreeNAS: v8.0.2

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am unsure what you are saying you did, doesn't sounds right.

Here is what you said you did..

1) Created CD
2) Booted your real computer from the CD. (said nothing about installing anything)
3) Downloaded VMPlayer for FreeBSD? Why not for Windows and you installed VMPlayer on a 4GB USB drive.

If I were to guess what you meant to say, or hope what you meant to say is:
1) Created CD
2) Installed VMPlayer for Windows on my Windows 7 platform.
3) Booted the CD on VMPlayer with the USB drive attached and installed FreeNAS to USB drive.
4) got my error messages.

To be honest I'd had problems running a USB drive with VMPlayer like that, don't think I was successful. I had to create a virtual USB drive (just a 4GB hard drive) and use that in my VM which works great for me.

Hope that helps.

mo100

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

@fletcgar
Unfortunately I could not solve the issue. In the end I bought a new system which worked without issue (see sig). It seems no one has a solution, most likely because the problem occurs for so few people.

@survive
I had previously tried a 4GB and 8GB (different manufacturers) which did not make a difference.

@joeschmuck
I was trying to update from version 8.0.1rc1 which booted without issue, but I was not trying to upgrade the installation (I would have loaded the previous config if it had installed). It was a full clean installation I was attempting.

/Mark.
--
MSI 760GM-E51
G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB
Athlon II X2 260
2 * WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB Caviar Green SATA-600 64MB
Dane-Elec zLight No Limit USB 2.0 Flash / Key Drive - 8GB
--

Status
Not open for further replies.