Problem with GUI upgrade from 8.0.1-RC1-amd64 to 8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-p2-x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjwalsh

Cadet
I have FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC1-amd64 working fine for several months now, and have built up the courage to perform an upgrade. I have chosen to upgrade to 8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-p2-x64 to take advantage of the iTunes/DLNA support. However, the GUI upgrade process isn't working for me. I can see in the message logs that the temporary location for uploading the firmware image has been created, but when I select the file to upload and enter the SHA256 value and start the process, it just hangs:

May 30 10:30:24 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /bin/rm -rf /var/tmp/firmware
May 30 10:30:24 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /bin/mkdir -p /mnt/data2/.freenas
May 30 10:30:24 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /usr/sbin/chown www:www /mnt/data2/.freenas
May 30 10:30:24 freenas freenas[1872]: Executing: /bin/ln -s /mnt/data2/.freenas /var/tmp/firmware

There are no further updates in the message logs, and the browser itself seems to hang. If I use Chrome it eventually complains about the page being unresponsive and asks if I want to wait or kill it. If I try it in IE9 it just sits there. I have left it for a couple of hours and nothing happens. I am connecting from a PC which has a gigabit ethernet link to the FreeNAS box, and I get good transfer speeds normally, so I don't think it's a just taking a long time to upload the file.

Could the issue be related to the self-signed SSL cert on the FreeNAS box preventing the file upload for some reason? I've seen this cause issues in other situations.

From reading in the forums I believe I can do a clean install and upload my config which I have already saved, and I should get my raidz volumes back no problem, but that means getting the box near a monitor/keyboard which is a pain, so I'd prefer a GUI upgrade if possible - or even a CLI way to do it via SSH if that's possible?

Any suggestions?

cjwalsh

Cadet
Looking at the JavaScript console in Chrome it was coming up with errors about "Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL data:text/html,chromewebdata" and in IE9 it was coming up with "Access Denied" error messages. It looks like there's some kind of cross-site scripting protection kicking in which is prevening the GUI Upgrade process from working.

So I dug around a bit more, and based on the instructions in this post (http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?5945-WebGUI-Upgrade) from protosd I did the upgrade manually via the CLI. Here's the steps I took:

1. Copy the FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-p2-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz file I had already downloaded onto one of the volumes on the NAS drive (data2)
2. Renamed the file to upgrade.xz
3. Logged in to the console via SSH as my user account
4. Confirmed the location of the file as /mnt/data2/upgrade.xz
5. Switched to the root account using the su command
6. Entered the following command to trigger the upgrade:
xzcat /mnt/data2/upgrade.xz | sh -x /root/update && touch /data/need-update && shutdown -r now

The update was applied to the USB stick and the system rebooted after about 5-10 minutes. When it came back up I was able to verify that the system was now FreeNAS 8.0.4 MULTIMEDIA, and all my volumes were present :)

While this is a manual method which I'm happy worked, it would be great if these problems with the GUI Upgrade process were resolved. Of course they may be already resolved in 8.0.4, guess I'll find out at the next upgrade! :)

Now, off to configure the iTunes and DLNA support as per this thread: http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...uPnP-iTunes)-bits-in-8-0-3-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA

cjwalsh

Cadet
Just to note I had the same problem applying FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-p3-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz, and I used the same steps above to perform the upgrade successfully.

cjwalsh

Cadet
For the record, I had to use the same approach for FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz. I'm hoping the changes in 8.2 mean UI upgrades will work in Chrome again.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Your problem is probably due to permissions.

Make sure /mnt/tank has +x execute permission bit for "others"

Status
Not open for further replies.