Remote Install of FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewuewu

Cadet
Remote installation hangs

Hello Forum,
I'm trying to install FreeNAS 9.10 remotely on server located a few 100km away.

The Server consists of Supermicro X11SSM-F (with IPMI BMC), Adaptec 6805 Controller, 2 SSDs configured as hardware RAID1 and 6 4TB Segate Disks as JBODS).

I'm mounting the ISO via the 'Virtual Media'-Option of the IPMI-Console and boot the server. The FresNAS installation starts but after a while it stops with the following messages:

Code:
umass0: SCSI <endor 0x0ea0 product 0x1111, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2..00 addr 3> on usbbus0
umass0: SCSI over Bulk-Only: quirks = 0x0100
umass0:5:0:-1: Attached to scbus5
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting 60 secons for xpt_config

The last messages is repeated with differnt second counts five times. Afterwards the installation stops completely.

Btw: A test install of Ubuntu 16.04 works perfectly.

Any hints what I can do without using my car?

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Adaptec 6805 Controller, 2 SSDs configured as hardware RAID1 and 6 4TB Segate Disks as JBODS
The Adaptec 6805 Controller is the issue. As well, you should NOT be using Hardware Raid even for the Boot Devices. One would simply select both desired disks during install and FreeNAS would create the Mirror automatically.

To quote @jgreco from this thread:
The way you make use of the Adaptec 6805E is to go get your nailgun and tack it to the wall, so that you have an interesting art piece on the wall to discuss with your friends.

Then you get one of the recommended HBA's that work correctly with FreeNAS and move on with your life.

The Adaptec controllers should never be used with FreeNAS.

Looks like a road trip is in order unless you have someone locally that can rip that card out of the system...

ewuewu

Cadet
Hello Mirfster,

thanks a lot for your reply. After reading about controllers and hba's in conjunction with FreeNAS I aggree to exchange the adapter.

Nevertheles I assume my problem described above is not primarily adapter driven but more a problem with the USB/CDROM-emulation (hxci) of the IPMI virtual media interface.

Are there any ideas how to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Mirfster

Out of curiosity, are you mounting the ISO from your machine or are you first connecting to a system locally and then having that system connect to the Server?

What I do for my clients is have a "JumpBox" at their site. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, usually I just have a Windows 7 VM with some standard tools installed (Putty, WinSCP, NotePad++, FireFox, AV, vSphere Client, Java, etc).

In the event I was doing a similar task, I would
  1. VPN from my office machine
  2. RDP to the "JumpBox"
  3. Connect from there to the Server over IPMI
  4. Mount the Virtual ISO (Download it to that JumpBox first if needed)
  5. Do everything from there
This eliminates latency and issues (if my VPN session should fail).

Couple other thoughts:
  1. I have seen when some IPMI/KVM sessions do get confused when there are multiple "Virtual" Devices. Since you mentioned "2 SSDs configured as hardware RAID1" it may be interfering with the Virtual CD. That also would show up as a SCSI device if I am not mistaken
  2. What version of the FreeNAS ISO? I have seen a couple grumblings about the recent ISO Images. While I have not had an issue; it *could* be the ISO Version you are trying. Maybe grabbing an older version may help?
Hope this helps

ewuewu

Cadet
Hi Mirfster,

I'm using the latest 9.10 iso from the FreeNAS download page. (checked twice)

Also I've tried both ways - directly from my home workstation (via vpn and without), and via jump box (RDP - Windows remote desktop - Win 2008 Server) locatet at the remote network.

Meanwhile I've also destroyed my RAID1 so I'm dealing only with single disks on the controller in HBA mode.

(Test installations with ubuntu 16.04 and rockstor are working like charm)

Under FreeNAS i'm facing the same results as stated in my first post.

I fear I have to ask my remote office buddy to send the physical server to my hometown. :(

Mirfster

Meanwhile I've also destroyed my RAID1 so I'm dealing only with single disks on the controller in HBA mode.
Even though that card may have a "HBA" Mode, I doubt it is correct. A lot of these Hardware Raid cards really don't provide direct access to the disks. Instead they do some funky stuff by making each disk a "Raid0" and then presenting that to the OS. IMHO, that is why you are seeing that "umass0: SCSI" message.

My money is still on you having them physically remove that card from the system and having the SSDs connected directly to the MotherBoard ports. If not possible, then you would need a HBA for the SSDs to attach to.

Lastly, you may have to check the BIOS and make sure the proper drives are set to be the first boot device(s) as well ensure that the SATA Ports are not set to RAID (if the BIOS has that option).

Status
Not open for further replies.