Unable to browse share with "read only" user

spett

Cadet
Running TrueNAS 13.0 U1 with one dataset and two shares. This is my private NAS solution and I am trying to set it up with two users. One with full access and one with read only access.
All access is from Win10/11 and rsync from another NAS.

Full access works fine for both users, but if I try to set read or traverse for the user and/or group I want to restrict to read only access I get a message like (somewhat translated from Norwegian) "You dont have permission to access this share, please contact your system administrator". The share mounts, but I cant browse/access it.

spett

Cadet

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2022-07-28 205918.png
    Skjermbilde 2022-07-28 205918.png
    14 KB · Views: 283
So I take it you configured two SMB shares, one that points to CNC and the other to Data?

but if I try to set read or traverse for the user and/or group I want to restrict to read only access I get a message like (somewhat translated from Norwegian) "You dont have permission to access this share, please contact your system administrator". The share mounts, but I cant browse/access it.

You're doing this from Windows?

Sounds like an issue with ACL permissions. But that's one down @anodos's alley. I was trying to rule out if you configured a share to point to the top-level root dataset, in this case "DataPool".

spett

Cadet
So I take it you configured two SMB shares, one that points to CNC and the other to Data?

You're doing this from Windows?

Sounds like an issue with ACL permissions. But that's one down @anodos's alley. I was trying to rule out if you configured a share to point to the top-level root dataset, in this case "DataPool".
That is correct, I have two share that points to CNC and Data.

Yes, I am using Windows 10 and 11 to connecto to the shares.

Thank you for your help and pointing my post to anodos!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
No, 775 will also work.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What about permissions on the pool? There are unfortunately some tutorials out there that say to chmod 770 /mnt/DataPool (which obviously breaks access).

Davvo

MVP
Can you post your ACL settings for the dataset you are having issues with?

Last edited:

spett

Cadet
What about permissions on the pool? There are unfortunately some tutorials out there that say to chmod 770 /mnt/DataPool (which obviously breaks access).
Both /mnt and /mnt/DataPool have 755 permissions set.
Can you post your ACL settings for the dataset you are having issues with?
I have attached the ACL setting for the CNC dataset. "ruser" is supposed to be the read only user. I noticed now the everyone@ is listed twice when runnning getfacl. Tried removing everyone@ from within dataset permissions but that did only remove the one with read and execute permissions.
Is there a reason for why there is a everyone@ without any permissions listed?

Attachments

• CNC acl1.png
    CNC acl1.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 260
  • CNC acl2.png
    CNC acl2.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 195
  • CNC acl3.png
    CNC acl3.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 180
  • getfacl CNC.png
    getfacl CNC.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 259

Davvo

MVP
In order to exclude ACL misconfig try stripping ACL and then selecting home preset, then changing the everyone group/user that has read only with the ruser group/user.
Also make sure you check apply user, apply group and if you have data in the dataset apply recursively.
Btw, if you don't want to set different permissions for the ruser user and the ruser group, you don't have to config both.

edit: I suggest you to change ruser group name to rgroup for consistency and clarity, so that you have a ruser in a rgroup but that's your call.
Edit2: spelling corrections

Last edited:

spett

Cadet
In order to exclude ACL misconfig try stripping ACL and then selecting home preset, then changing the everyone group/user that has read only with the ruser group/user.
Also make sure you check apply user, apply group and if you have data in the dataset apply recursively.
Btw, if you don't want to set different permissions for the ruser user and the ruser group, you don't have to config both.

edit: I suggest you to change ruser group name to rgroup for consistency and clarity, so that you have a ruser in a rgroup but that's your call.
Edit2: spelling corrections
Actually I have tried stripping ACL several times. Does not change anything in the end. Althoug I have not tried home preset..
Before stripping ACL (I don't think that's relevant in this case), can I see the SMB server configuration ("testparm -s").

Here is the ouput from "testparm -s":
# Global parameters
[global]
aio max threads = 2
bind interfaces only = Yes
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
enable web service discovery = Yes
kernel change notify = No
load printers = No
logging = file
max log size = 5120