Truenas on Terramaster F5-221

Tricky13

Dabbler
I have loaded trunas core onto one of my Terramaster NAS and all seems to be working but now i have no control over the fan speed, is there any way I can do this in truenas core.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maximum Supported Memory6G(2 G +4 G)

That's very concerning. I'd be far more concerned about that before you worry about the fan speed (which you're not very likely to be able to control through any "standard" method).

Tricky13

Dabbler
Two of my 1.3TB drives are getting a little hot despite being set to turn off after 10 mins, so it's a little worrying, is there no way to be able to control the fan speed it is running but not too fast, did attempt to go into the bios, but I think I can only access this if I was to reinstall the TM USB boot, I suspect the fan is either hardware controlled or it's running via the last commend used via the TM software, so unless I can solve it I may have to revert which would be a shame as it creates a whole load of other problems hence the change over.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You ignored my point.

6GB RAM is a recipe for disaster with ZFS.

You should seek other options for that hardware even if you get fan control working.

You ignored my point.

6GB RAM is a recipe for disaster with ZFS.

You should seek other options for that hardware even if you get fan control working.
No worries mate, he's got WD Red SMRs in there, it's a beauty! :tongue:

NickF

Guru
This is likely controlled in a non-standard way. I'd start by pulling out a multimeter to see what voltage the fan is gettng. Maybe hack into another set of wires to get more voltage and stick it on a knob.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Err, where did I ever mention it had only 6 gig of ram?? It's actually got 12gig ram.
That's part of the problem here... you didn't, but what you did was say this:

Terramaster F5-221​

So I went to the internet and searched for that, which turned up this site:

And if I look on the Specification page, I find the table from which I copied the Maximum Supported Memory details in my post above... which suggests that the maximum RAM for that unit is 6GB.

If you have a different model or more recent variants somehow allow more RAM, good for you.

Tricky13

Dabbler
No worries mate, he's got WD Red SMRs in there, it's a beauty! :tongue:

That's part of the problem here... you didn't, but what you did was say this:

Terramaster F5-221​

So I went to the internet and searched for that, which turned up this site:

And if I look on the Specification page, I find the table from which I copied the Maximum Supported Memory details in my post above... which suggests that the maximum RAM for that unit is 6GB.

If you have a different model or more recent variants somehow allow more RAM, good for you.
Ahh! It's a case of don't believe everything you read on the internet.:wink:

Even TM say you can only add 4gig of RAM, but that's bull, it's actually got 10 gig it's my other TM NAS that's got 14gig, same F5-221.

Tricky13

Dabbler
This is likely controlled in a non-standard way. I'd start by pulling out a multimeter to see what voltage the fan is gettng. Maybe hack into another set of wires to get more voltage and stick it on a knob.
Fan speed was controllable in the original software, if I remember right it's only a two wire fan and not other wires, so I suspect finding a higher voltage will be hard, so thought that maybe someone else had run Truenas on the F5-221 and had found a solution.

sretalla