Smart TVs and Truenas?

Tricky13

Dabbler
Hi I am new to Truenas but not so much to NAS, have had and used a pair of Terramaster F5-221 NAS for about three years and having gotten fed up with the updates messing with the share system I have finally got around to installing truenas core on one of them and got things sort of configured but cant seen to be able to view any of the film files on my two smart TVs.

Now until recently I have been able to view a film library stored on my TNAS without issue, but recent updates have messed with this big time so that the only media server I can see on the TVs is plex local media server, i also have two Zidoo media boxes which have no problem seeing the SMB and NFS shares I have configured on both the TNAS and the Truenas, now I can understand this being a problem via the TNAS with the TVs but is there something I am doing wrong with the Truenas configuration that's stopping the TVs from being able to see the SMB and NFS files?

somethingweird

Contributor
Interesting, I didn't know that TVs support SMB / NFS protocol? Over at my house - I installed Emby plugin/jail - and I know that my TV support DLNA.

Tricky13

Dabbler
I guess it's possible that the TVs were previously just seeing DLNA and there is now a major problem with the TNAS not actually broadcasting where it was previously even though it's set up to do so, so guess it's possible I am now barking up the wrong tree.:confused:

somethingweird

Contributor
with truenas - you need to do everything pretty much - got to get your hands dirty to get things working - got to do technical stuff.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should have no problem setting up Plex and you do not need to use all of Plex, you could just use the built in DLNA, keep it simple.

Tricky13

Dabbler
I thought I had set up the Plex server, but it's just not working can't access it to set up the DLNA server, followed the guides I have seen, it works fine on the TNAS.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure how you installed and setup Plex Server, I personally manually installed it years ago. The plugin had terrible support so it was best to do a manual installation of Plex. And to be honest with you, I rarely use Plex anymore. With all the media streaming services out there I ended up using those more than I use my own video content I have stored locally.

I thought I had set up the Plex server, but it's just not working can't access it to set up the DLNA server, followed the guides I have seen, it works fine on the TNAS.
There are a lot of old video's out there that explain how to install the Plex plugin. Take a look at them, as a point to start. Many of the video's are out of date so think of them as a old guide but it should get you to the finish line. I really thought there was a resource here on installing Plex manually but I could not find it, which means it's burred in the threads of this forum. Here is a link as an example and it's a few years old, but it may help you out or just give you an idea that you can search for Plex help.

Best of luck to you.

Tricky13

Dabbler
Thanks for the help so far guys it a helpful forum, :smile:After having a look at a YouTube video I now have Plex server running, the only other ting I need to get my head around is setting up pools properly, from what I can see I can create as many pools as I like on a particular disk so basically folders, but I now need to find out how to set up a couple of disks as a RAID array not found how to do that yet, it's definitely a bit more involved than other NAS software I have played with.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You create pools from vdevs and vdevs from disks. So while you can theoretically have as many pools as you like, you will need a matching number of disks for them. Most home users have one boot pool and one storage pool.

You probably are referring to datasets. They are looking like partitions/directories at a quick glance and reside inside pools.

This might be helpful to understand the terminology and how the parts work together: