Correct DOM replacement for QNAP TVS-1282T or boot from dual M2?

FabrizioR8

Dabbler
Hello,
New to TrueNAS and looking to move away from QNAP QTS OS... I've read the posts here about using a 16GB SLC eUSB DOM for some QNAP HW models. I can't find any specs for which type of DOM is used in my TVS-1282T. Can anyone here advise on an appropriate replacement DOM to use for TrueNAS on my model QNAP? Would it be "better" to remove the DOM completely (vs replace) and install TrueNAS to the two internal M.2 SSD, or should I keep those for other use?

Any suggestions on how best to utilize the available storage?

Intend to deploy SCALE with the intent to:
  • redeploy several existing docker containers for the *arr apps, grafana, influxdb, nginx, and plex - replacing the native QNAP Plex app.
  • restore a 30TB media volume
  • rsync, CCC, and timemachine backups for various linux/mac systems
  • Local family-centric shared filesystems
The TVS-1282T is kitted-out with:
  • 2x Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD (1TB)
  • 4x Corsair Force LE SSD (960 GB)
  • 8x Seagate Exos 16000NM001G SATA (16TB) (currently RAID-6)
  • 4x 8GB DIMM (32GB)
  • Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz
Thank you!

Welcome!

If you go the DOM route, you won't be able to have a boot-pool mirror. I went the DOM route since I don't have any extra bays and didn't want an external USB drive with no retention mechanism.

QNAP uses Apacer SLC eUSB DOMs. Specs: 512MB, 5v, horizontal, 2.54mm pin pitch header spacing.

Someone had luck with these.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
No retention mechanism?
Whats wrong with this then?
IMG_20220717_172102_926.jpg

:cool:

Retains them perfectly. In fact thats heavy duty Velcro - it retains too bloody well - its a strain to remove if I need to

Doesn't look very elegant I will admit.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Would it be "better" to remove the DOM completely (vs replace) and install TrueNAS to the two internal M.2 SSD, or should I keep those for other use?
Remove the DOM completely and install TrueNAS on single M.2. Decent M.2 has so much better reliability than DOMs, that in combination with periodic configuration backups it is all you need. Another M.2 you may use for something else (hot data, cache, whatever).

FabrizioR8

Dabbler
Thanks. I’ll consider that. Working out my setup/config plan and app/docker conversions in a VM test env first.