Adventures in TrueNAS SCALE on QNAP Hardware

NugentS

MVP
@xxsskxx Your QNAP TS-470 looks like it can handle a reasonable amount of memory (16GB according to QNAP, so it may handle more). Has an HDMI Port so based on my limited knowledge should work so long as you can get it to boot of your new boot device (the 512MB DOM is useless)

I suggest a minimum of 8GB

guys there is a new truenas release, you best upgrade

new intel driver nic support (not sure which ones exactly, but it was mentioned), they also fixed the samba vulnerability, and probly a few other important stuff as well

Last edited:
ya that is serious.

that said, i don't see how any of the nas no matter the brand should be exposed. even truenas says the same

people should still be using vpn for remote regardless.

one of the most popular apps people tend to need remote, there are a few suggestions for how to go about that in as secure as possible for those that do need remote. and whether using vpn for that is possible and what limitations to expect. and whether just simple port forward for it could be alright or not

anyway i just worry people think oo another brand promises they can just expose their nas online and it will be ok :/

Excommunicated Windows 15+ years ago.

I tried. tested popos, some of the apps i used worked fine, played around with the os front end, seemed alright. tried to get wine to get my windows app to work, but i couldnt figure that out. so had to stick to windows a bit longer for now :{ using win11 atm.

highly recommended to debloat it if ur stuck on it like me

found an excellent video how to replace the drives for the zfs zraids. if you're like me and new to truenas so not familiar with the way they do things compared to qnap, this video will help

see this is an example, i replaced one of my drives and it says it's gonna take under 6 hours to complete the sync
cy34UgN.jpg

Last edited:
basic intro to truenas, for a basic setup for the new comers to it from QNAP

My experience with truenas was a good one, but it took some time to learn about how it works, cause some parts isn't simple to figure out, especially with the permission rights for smb shares created. It works very different to in a QNAP in some of these settings, so it takes a while to familiarize. What helped me a lot was the youtube videos that go through the initial setup and exploring other options of truenas. This is the best and fastest way to figure out how to setup your QNAP using truenas. If you need a refresher you can always refer back to those videos, but you will essentially get a general idea of where to go to do what eventually over time :}

the toughest part for me with truenas was getting the rsync to work between a truenas and the QNAP. Truenas has a rsync option. Based on comments in forum apparently it works, but for someone not too technically savvy like me (and probly most people), it's easy to get this setup. Even following instructions i still couldn't get it to work. So i came up with a workaround. While i can use HBS to perform the backup from the QNAP qts to the truenas, i could not do a restore from the truenas to the qnap. To get that to work i had to use the HBS active rsync to initiate a PULL from the truenas to the QNAP, which essentially got the recovery to work.

Obviously test this out with test shares, files/folders to understand how it works, BEFORE you commit to it as your backup/restore plan. Always test first to check it works as it should.

Hope this helped a bit.

PS: forgot to mention, the other big hurdle was the LCD on some QNAP models that have that feature. If u transition from qts to truenas, the LCD remains messed up and turn off. The biggest issue is it won't turn off.... But thkfully elvis came up with an elegant scripting solution that allowed the led to know when truenas powers on, powers off, and also turns off the lcd after giving us the relevant messages.

has anyone tested if the qnap addon cards work when using truenas? (example some of the addons you can add m.2 nvme ssds onto it)

one thing i noticed was this guys demonstration using a pci card to add in multiple nvme ssds to get it to be detected and used for ssd caching his truenas

has anyone tested anything like that on their qnap when using truenas? o-O;

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Why is he talking about IR vs IT mode when presenting what is essentially a PCIe riser card?

tested raid rebuild on qnap truenas core on ts-653a, it worked (latest version)

i wiped the drive first (probly could have saved time just selecting "force" perhaps) then followed the youtube guide, it syncs then the status changed from degraded back to everything normal condition :}

Very odd my 470 pro doesn't have the PCIE SSD 8s my only option now to purchase a New USB EDOM?
Do I see a lot of dust bunnies in your NAS?

Where do you have yours located?
  • On a carpeted floor in a high traffic area?
  • In a laundry room, possibly connected up to a clothes dryer exhaust vent for additional "airflow"?

eUSB DOMs are expensive, limited availability and/or long lead time.

Suggest an external SSD in a external USB3 enclosure.
I've used both Crucial X8 and Sandisk NVME Extreme Portable 1TB SSDs as both boot and data pools.

xxsskxx

Dabbler
Do I see a lot of dust bunnies in your NAS?

Where do you have yours located?
  • On a carpeted floor in a high traffic area?
  • In a laundry room, possibly connected up to a clothes dryer exhaust vent for additional "airflow"?

eUSB DOMs are expensive, limited availability and/or long lead time.

Suggest an external SSD in a external USB3 enclosure.
I've used both Crucial X8 and Sandisk NVME Extreme Portable 1TB SSDs as both boot and data pools.

haha, its in the lounge behind a centre speaker, generally a very dusty area. Ive bought the E-DOM as didnt want to use an external solution. NAS is all nicely cleaned up now, installed my 2nd 8GB RAM module so it has a full 16GB to leverage. Ill update when it arrives (they had 8 'in stock') and its all re-assembled, thank you

@xxsskxx

While I don't have a server closet, I put on all my IT kit on a wire rack behind a curtain. Well ventilated and dust free. The key is getting it up off the floor.

71ItdfhvQ-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

baribal

Cadet
Hi All.

If you are coming from QNAS QuTS Hero with ZFS will it be possible to mount the existing ZFS pool in Scale w/o loosing the data? Or they are incompatible and you need to create ZFS pool from scratch?

Regards,
Eugene

xxsskxx

Dabbler
All

Just an update, new 16GB E-DOM worked great, went for TrueNAS Scale in the end as want to use PhotoPrism. Documentation from main site worked good. WIll be takign my time to get nextcloud etc setup, thank you for the input here, helped massively in achieving this.

NugentS

MVP
Last edited:

TheNewRacket

Cadet
Hi All.

If you are coming from QNAS QuTS Hero with ZFS will it be possible to mount the existing ZFS pool in Scale w/o loosing the data? Or they are incompatible and you need to create ZFS pool from scratch?

Regards,
Eugene
Wondering this exact thing, Curious if anyone has converted a TVS-h1288x to TrueNAS. would love some insight into the process

Wondering this exact thing, Curious if anyone has converted a TVS-h1288x to TrueNAS. would love some insight into the process

not the same model but i did it for a ts-653a

i imagine the process would be the same. the question is, does this particular model able to display output onto a monitor to view the bios? and can either truenas core or scale have the necessary driver supports (i encountered an issue in regard to ethernet nic support issue for 2.5gbe, which i heard was resolved in newer firmware releases for truenas).

If you own the model, you can try replicate the steps in the guide, see if it works, if it doesn,t, just undo the steps. (basically to undo, just make sure u keep a record of how bios was like originally, so u can set it back to the same if u find out it doesn't work or u want to revert back to qts/quts)

Last edited: