SMB Permission Basics on Dragonfish RC.1

mervincm

Contributor
I am troubleshooting a permissions issue and would like a quick confirmation on the basics, please.

Windows 11 desktop to TrueNAS Dragonfish RC.1 via SMB
share connected to with \\tnas\data from desktop and creds cached using my username "mervin"

data is an SMB share purpose is default share permissions, enabled, enable ACL, (no host allowed or disallowed) Browsable to Network Clients, no auditing enabled, shadow copies enabled, alternate data streams and SMB2/3 durable handles enabled. Share ACL default, FS ACL Unix permissions.

data is also a dataset with unix permissions owner:media RWE media RWE other RE recursively applied
on the TrueNAS user "mervin" is a member of group "media" and is enabled for samba authentication
on the TrueNAS the group "media" is enabled for samba authentication

The goal is that in this situation I will have adequate permissions to create/modify/delete any files or folders (not otherwise busy/in-use) in the data dataset access over the \\tnas\data share using the mervin ID/PW

Am I missing anything?

mervincm

Contributor
As a follow-up, if I am not missing anything, then I think there is a bug in the dataset permission editor.

I wanted to make sure the full data set and all its contents were uniformly permissions, so I tried to do that via the dataset permissions editor

When I left the owner:owner and 9 access mode as they were, and applied user+group+recursive+child_dataset, it didn't uniformly apply owner:owner and the 9 access modes completely recursively. I found several files that had differences in the 9 access modes.

I then changed the access modes to all read (leaving the owner:owner), applied that recursively, then changed the access modes back to what I wanted, applied that recursively .. and then it appeared to apply to the files in question.