TrueNAS scale SMB basics help

ShadowK99

Cadet
Hi All

I'm new to TrueNAS Scale and need help getting started. lets start from the beginning. I have a Dell Optiplex 7040 i5-6500 12GB RAM, 256GiB SanDisk_X400_M.2 and 2 x 500 GiB Seagate ST500LM021

My objective is simple I want to use TrueNAS scale as a file share for home, I have 4 users including myself. Using a mix of Windows 10 Pro, Windows 11 Pro and Ubuntu 20.04 PCs . I read the instructions https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/ and looked for info on this forum and other locations but still cant get SMB working correctly.

Here is what i have done so far.
1. Installed TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2 default install on 256GiB M.2 drive
2. Logged in and went to Storage and created a mirrored pool called storage with both 500GiB drives ACL Mode POSIX
3. Added Data set to storage called data (share type SMB)
4. Created local group called home_users (Samba Auth enabled) I plan on adding other family members to the group
5. Created a local user called martin (Auxiliary Group home_users, /nonexistent, Shell Bash, Samba Auth on)
6. Added SMB share called data /mnt/storage/data
7. In Storage for Dataset:/mnt/storage/data edit ACL added User martin and groups martin and home_users all with full Control
8. rebooted for good measure.

OK here is where I start getting lost my assumption is i should be able to access the share from my Windows PC at this point. when i go to \\truenas\storage\data from my main Windows 11 PC i do get prompted for user and password as expected but it fails with Network Error Windows Cannot access \\truenas\storage\data, I also tried \\truenas.local\storage\data, \\192.168.2.98\storage\data and \\192.168.2.98.local\storage\data same result

I tested the same with Windows 10 PC and with my Ubuntu desktop via smb://truenas/storage/data i get prompted for credentials and same result. so I went to system settings - shell and checked

root@truenas[~]# ls /mnt
storage
root@truenas[~]# ls /mnt/storage
data
root@truenas[~]# ls /mnt/storage/data
root@truenas[~]# ls -al /mnt/storage/data
total 1
drwxrwx--- 2 root root 2 Feb 13 09:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 3 Feb 13 09:22 ..
root@truenas[~]#

I can see that the ACL will not work as is so i guess i missed something in my steps. Now i have no data on this TrueNAS so i have no issue wiping and starting over so if anyone has some insights to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

ShadowK99

Cadet
Wow not one response....